1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is the best codec for Youtube Videos?

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by RJoseph, Jul 19, 2008.

1. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now that I think about it, videos filmed AVI might give a better end result then videos filmed in mpg. I am not sure of the difference as "why" avi would be better. But once I got a new canon sd750 (gave it to my wife later) the youtube video quality went up a lot.

Last night the Nikon coolpix L18 was returned to the store - it was only 2 weeks old. The audio on video was terrible, maybe the worst audio I have ever heard from a point and shoot. The new camera films at 640X480 15fps in AVI mode. This weekend my family and I might be going to a local lake to do some fishing. When we do I will film some videos and get them posted on youtube.

But so far, for good resolution on youtube I have found 640X480 filmed in AVI at 30 fps. Then convert the video to wmv or mpg to reduce its size. With AVI you are looking at 1 gig per 9 - 12 minutes of video. With mpg and wmv its going to be about 100 megs per 10 minutes.

I have not tried the H.264, but it is something I need to check into.

~kev~, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  2. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    The one I did yesterday was 228MB (WMV @ 4.5mins) before I uploaded it to Smugmug for the H.264 transcoding they use. I'll have to go double check the setting I used, obviously I'll have to adjust those before I UL to YT!

timsdd, Jul 25, 2008 IP