1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is the best CMS for simple content based websites

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by sanjaygoel, Nov 15, 2006.

Hi,
    I have to create multiple websites with different templates. All these sites would be pretty simple only having content with no complex functionality. Can somebody suggest me a free/not so expensive CMS for this.

The features I need are:
    1. Easy Template Creation - Templates should easily be able to be created out of HTML files that my web designer creates.
    2. In Context Editing - Something that WebGUI or Plone or Jahia provides is good.
    3. Workflow - Content Approval workflow is a must.

If its based on Java, it would be an added bonus.

I have checked out lots of CMSes like Jahia (Expensive, bad at 1), Drupal (complex), Typo3 (bad at 3, not so good at 2), Mambo/Joomla (bad at 2) etc.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Sanjay

sanjaygoel, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  2. kevinn

kevinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    My vote is for Joomla. You can check out Drupal as well. Both are free.

kevinn, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  3. jayL

jayL Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla, Mambo, Drupal are currently the best out there. For a more live feedback on these platforms, I suggest you read reviews. Some of the most popular websites like CNN, MacWorld and ESPN use these platforms as they are stable and has a wide array for functionality as well.

jayL, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  4. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    CMS Made Simple (www.cmsmadesimple.org) - you can use it with any web template or custom coded design, w/o any special template needs - just plug in the tags where you want the content to appear. Easy to use and figure out on top of it all. :)

jhmattern, Nov 16, 2006 IP
  5. sanjaygoel

sanjaygoel Peon

Best Answers:
    The trouble with Joomla or Drupal is that Content Author needs some training before they can start creating content (as most content authors are non-techy). The cms should be very intutive and hence the need for good "in-context editing support"

sanjaygoel, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  6. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    CMS Made Simple should fit your needs in that respect as well. They simply go to the list of pages, click edit, and use a basic wysiwyg editor to add their content (if they don't prefer using it in html mode). If they can use Word, they can add content using CMSMS. And it's easy enough to hide any backend things from users that you don't want them messing with (like the html templates and css files for example, certain module access, etc.). So you can allow them to see only the minimum of what they need, which could make it much easier to learn (not that it takes much learning). And as I mentioned previously, any html template can be adapted to it... no special templating needs. I believe there's even a mod that allows you to put a content creation form on a page of the site (you could pass-word protect it only for certain users to access), so they could add content without even having to log into the backend.

Jenn

jhmattern, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  7. howardroark

howardroark Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would vote for Modx CMS, the fork of Etomite. They added AJAX to it and content editing is a breeze.

I also agree with Jenn. CMS Made Simple is an elegant piece of software. Those HTML blocks are quite handy. This is also one of those rare CMS's where the template is stored on the database! (templates are modified on the admin)

howardroark, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  8. PlainJain

PlainJain Peon

Best Answers:
    CMS Made Simple really looks good... I especially like the look of the forums... I swear by Drupal myself, but the forums at CMS Made Simple look to be much more functional and a lot nicer... Worth looking into if a person has future plans of running forums...

PlainJain, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  9. thedark

thedark Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    there isn't "the best" cms, you should try them all to see which can do best

thedark, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  10. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    But there is a "best" for meeting certain needs, and they listed specific needs. So there's no point in trying all of them.

jhmattern, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    The forum they're using for the CMSmadesimple.org site is SMF: http://www.simplemachines.org/

jhmattern, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  12. sanjaygoel

sanjaygoel Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree Jenn, there isn't a best cms out there but there has to be a one which fits in well into my requirements ...
    I can't invest effort to try each cms, hence I asked for advice ...
    I'll certainly try CMS Made Simple.

sanjaygoel, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  13. intrinzik

intrinzik Peon

Best Answers:
    CMS is probly the easiest to use "right out of the box" . But I use Joomla myself and it fits all of your needs, it just doesnt have the best learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, its a breeze.

intrinzik, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  14. isp-bmack

isp-bmack Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Packtpub.com recently held a open source CMS contest. Check out the results here:
    www.packtpub.com/award

There's also some nice detail here about what the judges liked about each of the products. You can also view the entire list of entrants if you want to look at some other options as well.

Top finishers:
    1. Joomla!
    2. Drupal
    3. Plone
    4. e107
    4. XOOPS

Personally, I'm not a fan of Joomla. Plone is quite interesting, but it's more for larger portal sites.

-bmack

isp-bmack, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  15. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Considering they only used five nominations in their judging, it's hardly worth much with a lot of other great options out there. Just because their not as well known (yet) doesn't mean Joomla or others are better. Personally, I can't stand Joomla. All of the sites just carry a certain "look" to them that screams "hey, I made this with Joomla!", no matter how custom they think their template is. They all start looking the same.

jhmattern, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  16. siraxi

siraxi Peon

Best Answers:
    True about Joomla sites looking the same. I think that Drupal sites look alike too. What I would like best to be able to use a totally different template and have content inserted in some areas of the template.
    I had 2 sites built with Website Baker, but wasn't very happy with the editing mode.
    I hope CMS made simple is better in this respect and will try it for the next site.
    Thanks.

siraxi, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  17. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Good luck with it. :) I havent' tried website baker, but CMS made simple is great when you get the hang of it. The biggest drawback is the lack of a quality blogging feature, but I know there are mods for the news feature that make it a little better now than it used to be. :)

I'm actually going to be trying something different with them next year when I build BizHow2.com - setting up a frontend area for submitting the content based on a variety of templates, so I (and any writers participating) don't have to touch the backend when we simply want to submit articles. I know it's possible... I just haven't tried it yet. So even if you don't like the admin area (admittedly, it's a bit dreary looking to work in for long periods), you can essentially create your own interface for basic editing. Hope it works out better for you. :)

jhmattern, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  18. siraxi

siraxi Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, I'm looking forward to it; I'll let you know how it works and feels. Thanks.

siraxi, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  19. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Ok, I want to hijack this just for a second...

The author wanted specific criteria, and I think he was well answered. As for Joomla sites all looking the same, however, it doesn't have to be so. It's only that way because most people use free or commercial templates, rather than making their own. A "branded" look is characteristic of any CMS, for at least 85% of the users. (my opinion, don't ask me to prove that number :) )

I have used Joomla, Nucleus, and a couple lesser knowns for content mangement. I like Joomla, not so much for the style or useability - but because it has VERY GOOD support and development. For me, it doesn't matter how good something looks, or how easy it is to use, if it's a hack bomb.

3rd party plugins for ANY CMS are a problem. (watch out - this is where many of the problems with open source CMS begins) Not getting a good host is yet another. When I choose a CMS, I try to find a recommended host who supports it, specifically. Or, if you are locked into a certain host, see what they support, and cruise their forums for related info.

I find that the easiest to use CMS is one that has lots of knowledge behind it. Not one that I have to wait for someone else to have the same problem, but where the pitfalls are already well established. Even better when you have a host who has special expertise in the installation and administration of the CMS that you plan to use.

A willing mind will learn any system that is put in front of them.

I wish you luck in your quest, sanjaygoel. I have been in your place!

solid7, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  20. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    It's not characteristic in CMSMS for the simple reason that it can be used with absolutely any html or css Web template... precisely what this person wanted.

Even with more customized Joomla templates, it's the use of the modules that screams out "joomla" when I see them. I simply don't care for the look on a personal level, and I rarely stay on a site I know was made with it for more than a few seconds b/c something about it just drives me nuts. It works for some people, and that's cool for them... stylewise there's too much of the "cookie cutter" thing going on for me.

The issue of Joomla being popular is a fine one, but it's not worth passing over something newer and potentially better just because of common usage, imo. Again, it will work for some people and not for others. :)

jhmattern, Nov 27, 2006 IP