1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is mre reliable: Google Analytics vs AWStats?

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by HCLPFan, Mar 24, 2009.

I currently have both AWStats and Google Analytics tracking my traffic, however, they both are reporting rather drastically different data. AWstats reports my site as receiving twice as many unique visitors per day as Google Analytics. Which numbers should I be trusting? (most other values seem to be in sync besides unique visitors)

HCLPFan, Mar 24, 2009 IP
  2. m.stevens

m.stevens Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm.. maybe google analytics has more up to date info on which ip's are bots? I can't really explain that.

Edit: Do your pages take a long time to load? If you have the GA javascript at the bottom, your visitors might not be downloading it, therefore google doesn't count them.

m.stevens, Mar 26, 2009 IP
  3. HCLPFan

HCLPFan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm that might be a possibility. The actual page loads very fast once the connection is established but sometimes making that connection takes a while and the GA code is the very last thing on the page.

HCLPFan, Mar 27, 2009 IP
  4. tariq1654

tariq1654 Active Member

Best Answers:
    For me, I prefer google analytics because its exact.

tariq1654, Mar 27, 2009 IP
  5. FreedomFighter1210

FreedomFighter1210 Banned

Best Answers:
    I use a completely different system - it's called "GoingUp". You can try googling it.

Gives amazing stats along with other information. Worth a look in my opinion.

FreedomFighter1210, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  6. FortressDewey

FortressDewey Peon

Best Answers:
    Google Analytic by far and away, or Urchin (another google product). Some ppl will tell you to put your code on the bottom, some on the top (for GA). I prefer putting it at the top b/c it gets loaded quicker.

FortressDewey, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  7. m.stevens

m.stevens Peon

Best Answers:
    That doesn't make sense. GA script will load at the same speed regardless of where you put it. However, if you put it at the top, it will load before your page, and if you put it at the bottom, it will load after your page.

m.stevens, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  8. incomeideas

incomeideas Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google Analytic is best and it provides much accurate data compared to all other services. Also, I would highly recommend Goingup (www.Goingup.com). Paid version has more features compared to free version. But both version provides detailed stats and are very accurate.:)

incomeideas, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  9. fabriciogr

fabriciogr Active Member

Best Answers:
    sorry mate.. it seems as i disagree with most in here and i have taken an analytics course (paid by my company). The most accurate logs are any that will read directly off your server and not a 3rd party tracking system such as GA. Basically everytime a visitor goes to your site APACHE will store this information in log files which later AWSTATS reads off. Meaning AWSTATS are almost the most accurate besides you reading your webserver logs personally.

Google and most 3rd party tracking will usually rely on cookies that they write to each user who visits your site. In the particular case of analytics they rely on 2 things. First that the user who is browsing has javascript enabled and secondly that the user fully loads the page (or at least far enough until the analytics code is loaded).

Analytics has a much more valuable use than most traffic stats such as tracking adwords campaings, conversions either paid or organic, funnel system. These are extremely valuable tools in analysing a site but when it comes down to numbers regarding number of visits or page views nothing better than a system that will read your log files such as AWSTATS.

Sorry for the long post and hope it was useful.

fabriciogr, Apr 5, 2009 IP
    seo-first likes this.
  10. MayurGondaliya

MayurGondaliya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The stats generated from the web server logs are perfect. Hence, AwStats, SmarterStats, etc stat providers may serve better statistics.

MayurGondaliya, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  11. jhondollers

jhondollers Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes ... I appreciate your suggestions... I have learned many things from this... Can you plse share any URL. where i can learn more about this...!
    By the way thanks for a nice suggestion...

jhondollers, Apr 26, 2009 IP
  12. tixepower

tixepower Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, google analytics doesn't show every visitors but it got many features and that's why people use it :)

tixepower, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  13. TechnoGeek

TechnoGeek Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello.

Here you have a tutorial that will make things clear for you.

Web tracking tutorial

Good luck!

TechnoGeek, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  14. JPetrillo

JPetrillo Peon

Best Answers:
    Each one has it's pros and cons, so you should use both.

If you're looking strictly at number of visits to your webpage then you should be looking at Awstats which is MUCH more accurate than Google Analytics when counting number of visits.

Awstats is also 100% live data. You should have an "Update Now" link at the top of your Awstats page and if you don't, just ask your web host to add it for you.

JPetrillo, May 1, 2009 IP
  15. shren.ching

shren.ching Guest

Best Answers:
    I think google analytics is good traffic analysis tool

shren.ching, May 4, 2009 IP
  16. FlashDriveDT

FlashDriveDT Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, thanks fabriciogr. That clears up some of the questions/issues I posted re: GA. I suspected that it can only register visitors who fully load the GA script. I'm pretty sure quite a bit don't thus GA is pretty useless IMO. So I take it wordpress plugins are preferable because they read directly from the server? My Cystats plugin does show more visits per day than GA but it has some major issues with breaking down the traffic sources.

FlashDriveDT, May 19, 2009 IP
  17. Joshua Pitts

Joshua Pitts Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would go with google, more trustable than what servers sometime preceed as unique.

Joshua Pitts, May 19, 2009 IP
  18. TechnoGeek

TechnoGeek Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't be so sure. It depends on your hosting company's policy on updating statistics. I understand that you are talking about Awstats as a service provided by your web host and not as a program installed by yourself, in which case things are different.

TechnoGeek, May 20, 2009 IP
  19. rathin

rathin Peon

Best Answers:
    my vote also goes to google analytics

rathin, May 23, 2009 IP
  20. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well First of all guys frankly speaking awstats will be full stats it reads from server logs so everything is tracked.. Analytics is javascript based so if javascript is disabled it wont count.. mostly its always enabled..

Awstats offcourse will be faster than analytics as its on ur own server

Bohra, May 26, 2009 IP