1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is better to use?Fireworks or Photoshop

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by angelfire, Aug 11, 2005.

Hi wondering which software is better to use in web design and editing photos?
    Adobe Photoshop or Macromedia Fireworks :confused:

Thanks
    :)

angelfire, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  2. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Photshop is aimed squarely at the professional graphics designer or commercial artist/photographer. It is a great bit of kit, but I have stopped buying it (as I no longer need that level of ability). I now use fireworks, and find it adequate for most things. As I use drewamweaver, it slots in nicely as well.

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  3. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Fireworks is great with dreamweaver from an integration standpoint.

Personally, I use photoshop for photos or high quality work that I need to do. I use fireworks for web page elements for the most part. I'm more familiar with fireworks and for me at least, I really like the export functionality within fireworks. I use Corel most frequently because for vector drawing it is great and intuitive - things like boxes with rounded edges, etc. are simple and there's a huge library of vector based clipart to go with it.

nevetS, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  4. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    Nev I also use coreldraw 9 I have been using Cdraw since version 3 when it was a bag of bones, but was all I could get when I sold the business that was using Macs, and had to get up and running. A mac in 95 was out of the question due to cost, so I went the pc route. Coreldraw is a fantastic piece of kit once you get used to it.

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  5. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    That's too funny. I started at version 3 and I have 9 installed right now as well. No reason to upgrade to 11 for me at least - aside from some annoying bugs that I can deal with for as much as I do design work.

They seem to have slimmed down on a lot of the clipart I really like, but I still have some older disks that I go to when I'm looking for something. That and the fonts make the price a lot easier to swallow.

nevetS, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  6. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I LOVE Fireworks. I have found that it can do everything photoshop can do, but better and easier. :)

ViciousSummer, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  7. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I, on the other hand, love Photoshop... and since I do animations I can also use Imageready to get my work done.

fryman, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  8. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i have used both mentioned a little
    but
    i use and love Gimp - graphic image manipulation program ... available for XP and Linux
    the more you use Gimp the more you learn to benefit from the many features and plugins

hans, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  9. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    I like fireworks.. it's tha bomb! As summer mentioned, what I don't like with photoshop that everything is done in layers, and for some reason everything gets messed up.. Then I switch to fireworks and voila, easy does it.

WhatiFind, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  10. angelfire

angelfire Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for posting your reply it helps me alot on my web development.

angelfire, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  11. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Fireworks in intuitive and simple and has most of the features you need for everyday use. I use it 90% of the time and really like it.

Photoshop can be a bit more complicated to do layouts and has a steeper learning curve but does some things Fireworks can't.

It all depends on what you need it for as they serve different purposes. Hopefully Adobe doesn't change that and make them one product.

yfs1, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  12. YianG

YianG Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think this is a good comparison. Macromedia Fireworks is more like Adobe ImageReady. In terms of graphics processing power, Photoshop is way beyonf Fireworks's capability.

Layers have its advantages. Very often the clients would request small changes to the work. Raster images are pixels, and a lot of changes cannot be undone once the file is saved and history cleared. Using layers allows you to have different objects. Layers are also great for creation process; it gives you more control of the different elements of an artwork. I personally cannot live without layers in Photoshop.

And yes, I hope Adobe get them all into one package as well.

YianG, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  13. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Fireworks has layers as well, and I find them much easier to navigate between then Photoshop layers. :)

ViciousSummer, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  14. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    I tend to switch between the two as well. The reason being that I have taught myself to do stuff in one prog that I do not know how to do it in the other. Sad but true lol.

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  15. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshop is the ultimate graphics tool IMO...

I've really tried hard to get into GIMP, but was really dissapointed.

SEbasic, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  16. Swordfish

Swordfish Active Member

Best Answers:
    PHOTOSHOP!!! I don't have any experience with Fireworks, but I know photoshop better than I know myself.

Swordfish, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  17. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    I do that too...haha

I create all my graphics in Fireworks then switch over to Photoshop to "Save for Web" (to make them smaller files). I know there has to be a way to do it in Fireworks, but I just havn't bothered looking too hard. :rolleyes:

ViciousSummer, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  18. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never used fireworks, though I've heard a lot of good things about it. I use Photoshop personally. However, no-one has mentioned Paint Shop Pro. It's a very good, powerful program and costs a lot less than photoshop. Visit jasc.com to check it out.

mopacfan, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  19. YianG

YianG Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to use Fireworks every once a while, because it can slice my design into tables and then be ported into Dreamweaver. Then I started to use ImageReady for that, so I rarely use Fireworks now.

YianG, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  20. exaro

exaro Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshsop is definetly the way to go. I've never had the need to use FireWorks, since I don't use dreamweaver.

All I use it for is layouts so I can create/slice/and save for web.

All the code editing I do is either in NotePad or cPanel.

exaro, Aug 16, 2005 IP