1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is better- MSAccess or mySQL???

Discussion in 'Databases' started by shanmugappriya, Dec 19, 2011.

Hello,
    Well i'm preparing to launch my new site. Since i want to start with little investments i plan to go for linux hosting with mysql support and 10mb space.
    But before i start i just want to know whether 10 mb space will be enough during the first 2 to 3 months. Since i wont be using graphics in this site my concern is only abt the database. Suppose there is a directory containing a list of sites based on catagories and there are a record of 1000 websites in it with their url, title, discription, etc. wht would be its file size.
    Please reply to me fast coz i'm already behind my schedule.:cool:

shanmugappriya, Dec 19, 2011 IP
  2. plog

plog Peon

Best Answers:
    First, what a misleading title. Second, no one has any idea how big your database is going to be, especially when your description of the fields that are going to be in it include '...etc.'. Third, the 10mb space probably has just to do with the web files and not the database capacity--I'd check on that if I were you. Fourth, if all the records the database will hold is 1000 websites of primarily short text fields, then you probably have enough room. Fifth, why not model the database on your system, putting in fake data if you don't have actual data, and see how large that file is?

plog, Dec 19, 2011 IP
  3. rajmeetbhullar

rajmeetbhullar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey you can choose any of the database , Sql is just a new version of MySQL , there is no big difference in sql and MySQL. In sql we have triggers, view & graphs which are not likely to be in MySQL

rajmeetbhullar, Dec 21, 2011 IP
  4. shanmugappriya

shanmugappriya Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for your replays guys...

shanmugappriya, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  5. Mithuasha

Mithuasha Banned

Best Answers:
    MySql is better than ms access and i recommend you to use it, some reasons why:

-Is open soUrce
    -More stable
    -Much easy to learn
    -Lot of support
    -The space of your databases are smaller, etc.

Mithuasha, Dec 31, 2011 IP
  6. jhony king

jhony king Member

Best Answers:
    MySql best than MSAccess...

jhony king, Jan 1, 2012 IP
  7. nisha134

nisha134 Peon

Best Answers:
    Use Mysql is the best tool for your website........so just choose mysql

nisha134, Jan 1, 2012 IP
  8. Venomous Viper

Venomous Viper Peon

Best Answers:
    well ms access is older and quite stable, but mysql has some advantages over it. The best thing is that it's free and open source. moreover it's easy to use and comes with a very interactive gui and it's quite easily interfaced with the websites

Venomous Viper, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  9. Markwebuk

Markwebuk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @ shanmugappriya

If you plan to go with Linux hosting then certainly you will have to consider a MySQL since MSAccess is an Microsoft product which only suits on Windows Hosting platform. MSAccess is rarely used in webhosting industry.

Markwebuk, Jan 8, 2012 IP
    Rukbat likes this.
  10. cheenki

cheenki Peon

Best Answers:
    MySQL is best as compare to MSAccess because in msaccess you use dummy projects, or in MySQL you can use your secure data.

cheenki, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  11. cashcars

cashcars Peon

Best Answers:
    Use of MySQL as a storage manager for Access offers several benefits. One is that you can use your information in additional ways when it's not locked into Access. Other differences pertain more specifically to the case where you intend to continue using Access as the user interface to your information.
    Multiple-user access.
    Management of large databases.
    Backup management.
    Deployment of information
    Cost

cashcars, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  12. kalpanaseo

kalpanaseo Peon

Best Answers:
    MySQL is best as compared to MS Access. But if it's small sized application, better use MS Access.. and if it's big, then opt for MySql..

kalpanaseo, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  13. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with the second poster. Without more information it is pretty impossible to accurately answer your question.

The size of the database will depend on many factors, the most crucial one of which is how the database has been structured. Is it in third normal form? Does it have its columns defined as narrow as possible?

I see people claiming the major benefit of mySQL over access is that mySQL is open Source, which is true, but how exactly does that help the guy in any way? If someone wants to get a website up and running fast, open source most likely is not one of the deciding factors in the product comparison.

Others claim MS Access is not fit for multi-user, which is also false. It can definitely run with multiple users at the same time, if configured properly. However, for websites, I would recommend sticking to mySQL. Access does tend to get less than optimal when more than two dozen people start using it at the same time. Or, if you do want to use MS technology, check out SQL Server Express edition. That's also free, and offers a lot of the same advantages mySQL offers as well, including reliable backup schemas. It does have restrictions as to its database size, but we're talking Gigabytes, not 10 MB as mentioned.

SchmitzIT, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  14. JohnAadams

JohnAadams Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends upon the project that you choose to work with database. If you want to make a simple project for common purpose like bus reservation or coupons for shops then you can use ms access . Because they are light database and runs efficient with their requirement. If you are making projects like online banking or ATM then you should use My Sql database because it provides high security than ms access and has different option for your requirement.

JohnAadams, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  15. NothingLikeThis

NothingLikeThis Member

Best Answers:
    for linux hosting ,mysql suites the best in terms of cost as well as space

NothingLikeThis, Feb 5, 2012 IP
  16. ivickon

ivickon Peon

Best Answers:
    Ms Access or My Sql both strong database but better is MySql my sugestion should u use My Sql
    Executing thousands of independent INSERTs is going to run very slowly. Since MySQL is a multi-user, transactional database, there is a lot more going on during each query than Access does. Each INSERT operation on a SQL server goes through the following steps:

1. Decode and parse the query.
    2. Open the table for writing, establishing locks if necessary.
    3. Insert the new row.
    4. Update the indexes, if necessary.
    5. Save the table to disk.
    Ideally, you want to perform steps 1, 2, 4, and 5 as few times as possible. MySQL has some features that will help you.
    [h=3]PREPARE your queries[/h] By preparing a query that you are going to use repeatedly, you perform step 1 just once. Here's how:

PREPARE myinsert FROM 'INSERT INTO mytable VALUES (?, ?, ?)';
    SET @id = 100;
    SET @name = 'Joe';
    SET @age = 34;
    EXECUTE myinsert USING @id, @name, @age;
    SET @id = 101;
    SET @name = 'Fran';
    SET @age = 23;
    EXECUTE myinsert USING @id, @name, @age;
    # Repeat until done
    DEALLOCATE PREPARE myinsert;
    Read more about PREPARE at the mysql.com site.

ivickon, Feb 25, 2012 IP
  17. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't use any hosting company that offered MSAccess as a database. MSSQL isn't MSAccess, and it's a decent choice for a small site running in Windows. If you're running in Linux you have no choice but to use MySQL. (VERY few hosts will offer Oracle or something similar as an alternative. No host will offer MSSQL on Linux.)

That said, I agree that no one can tell you how much space you're going to need. But if the site grows enough that you need more space, and it's a monetized site (it brings in money), it should pay for itself, at least, so buying more space isn't an issue.

Rukbat, Feb 25, 2012 IP
  18. NothingLikeThis

NothingLikeThis Member

Best Answers:
    if you are developing some client level project, try mysql .ms access wont provide high level performance in front of mysql

NothingLikeThis, Mar 4, 2012 IP
  19. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The fact that the app is "client level" has absolutely nothing to do with the performance of the database. (In fact, the phrase has nothing to do with any performance issue at all, it has to do with security.) I can write a single-user app that will die on anything smaller or slower than Oracle, and I can write a "client level" web app that woll run quite nicely on MS Access. (Or even a text file as a database.)

Rukbat, Mar 4, 2012 IP
  20. LedZepplinsGhost

LedZepplinsGhost Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    MySQL is free, its very flexible, a very fast database, I use it for all my web applications and I absolutely love it! So many languages have support for mysql built in, just another point Good luck!

LedZepplinsGhost, Mar 7, 2012 IP