1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is better MS Access, My SQL or Oracle?

Discussion in 'Databases' started by esignmatrix, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Deacalion

Deacalion Peon

Best Answers:
    100% Agree. Why is Access even on this list?

I still wonder if Oracle owning Sun (who owns 'MySQL AB' the company that code MySQL) will result in any major improvements in the future. Or will they just write it off.

Deacalion, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  2. reporterdeluna

reporterdeluna Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on what type of application you are making but mysql is most widely used database server for online applications now

reporterdeluna, Jul 23, 2010 IP
  3. mrx345

mrx345 Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on what application you are developing…

Oracle is popular for large applications, very often used in banks, government organizations. The license would be quite expensive..

MS Access is for small desktop applications… well, I wouldn’t advise to use it at all.

MySQL is free. It is most common server for web sites and internet applications… most of the hosting offer MySQL.

So if you developing something for Internet or small/middle size business then use MySQL

Access – don’t use it at all

Oracle – use it if you develop something for Bank of America or US government :)

mrx345, Jul 23, 2010 IP
  4. Amitoops

Amitoops Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    for me i will say oracle is better among them because this is letest one in which office work done with ease.

Amitoops, Jul 26, 2010 IP
  5. mynameishhs

mynameishhs Peon

Best Answers:
    each of them are sql vendors ..... depends on what task u need to perform ...... every one allows basic programming

mynameishhs, Aug 9, 2010 IP
  6. TheWiseGuy

TheWiseGuy Member

Best Answers:
    access has a lot of limits, not to mention it must run on a windows machine. Probably there are some drivers to make it work on linux servers as well but it's not what it's supposed to do.

I am not sure about the latest versions, but I know there was a limit to 50 concurrent users, which is a very restricting limit for a website that will get some good traffic.

If you drop Access from the available choices all the remaining ones are pretty good, depending on your budget and what you already know.

If properly managed both MySQL ( which is actually owned by Oracle at the moment ) and Oracle are excellent.

Many DBAs prefer Oracle but I guess it's mainly because they've been using it for many years and they're used to it. Support is the most important difference maybe, but today there are paid support solutions for both the DBMS. Oracle supports its own product and MySQL has its own support ( with the MySQL Enterprise license ).

TheWiseGuy, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  7. Carol Smith

Carol Smith Peon

Best Answers:
    it always depends on what and where u want to use database... for PHP mysql is the best and for dotnet sql server is better..

Carol Smith, Aug 15, 2010 IP
  8. Oskar28

Oskar28 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As for me I used Oracle SQL and PLSQL for I am an Oracle Programmer and Oracle DB Admin.. and I don't want to be biased.. I think Oracle platform is for big Corporate/Enterprise Purposes.. or business :)

Oskar28, Aug 17, 2010 IP
  9. hexahow

hexahow Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For paid one, MsSQL, for free one, MySQL!

hexahow, Aug 17, 2010 IP
  10. vntutor

vntutor Peon

Best Answers:
    MySQL is better for free solutions

vntutor, Aug 18, 2010 IP
  11. somyatrans

somyatrans Peon

Best Answers:
    Mysql is free to use

somyatrans, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  12. coder1

coder1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Access would be the cheapest way to go besides Mysql, you could learn VBA as well as tweek your applications. I'm learning Access VBA 2007 right now, I have not learned to much of the others, but they seem to be up there depending what you are planning to do and work with.

coder1, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  13. Ashique Raheem

Ashique Raheem Peon

Best Answers:
    Well it depends on other factors. When it comes to database if you consider reliablity, availability, security and everything that requires for a better database i will recommend Oracle alone. It has all the features you would need. If you are trying this for a website with low mid range traffic MySQL server would be sifficient.

Ashique Raheem, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  14. bonzoi

bonzoi Peon

Best Answers:
    MySQl is too much better than Ms Access because
    1 > It is open source
    2 > Lots of table support then access

bonzoi, Sep 12, 2012 IP
  15. lolpasslol

lolpasslol Peon

Best Answers:
    MySql,
    a lot of developer take it as their first choice.

lolpasslol, Sep 23, 2012 IP
  16. briteday

briteday Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think I would agree with this. It depends on your requirements.

MS Access is okay for casual use or a quick temporary project. I have done many projects with it. At one time, I was one of the most highly certified Microsoft Professionals in the World (MCSE AND MCSD, with 30+ exams past, oh, and MCSQL) and for a serious system I would avoid Microsoft like the plague! I supported it for career reasons, not because it was the best. ;-)

MySQL is my current choice because it is free and part of the open source movement stuff. However, it does seem to have it's limitations and I suspect unable to handle larger databases ongoing. My usage is mostly such that it's performance isn't critical either. Mostly, LAMP stuff.

Oracle was the original that implemented the SQL standard and has had a strong standing since the start. However, it is traditionally expensive and requires expertise to use and support. Years ago, I heard that half the companies revenue came from consultant contracts with customers who had install their systems!

So, if your project is really serious and cost is justified. Oracle is the way to go.

Good Luck!

briteday, Sep 23, 2012 IP
  17. nannysingh

nannysingh Peon

Best Answers:
    MS SQL and Oracle servers.
    Each MS Access database has usually one main form with two, rarely more, buttons. We hide everything besides this form, it is so easy to use, that everyone is able to do so, without any training.

nannysingh, Oct 3, 2012 IP
  18. carleywatson

carleywatson Banned

Best Answers:
    mysql is a open source database system.other database system is paid.

carleywatson, Oct 4, 2012 IP
  19. slackersecurity

slackersecurity Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer MySQL due to it bein opensource and easy to use.

slackersecurity, Oct 4, 2012 IP
  20. giteshtrivedi

giteshtrivedi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We are working on databases solutions from last 7 years and as per our opinion we prefer Oracle and MySQL both for different purposes.

Ms Access: Best For very small business.
    MySQL: Best for websites and also small business. Off course opensource edition is still available as free without any advance features. If you use with advance features with enterprise edition then MySQL is best for mid and large business too.
    Oracle: Best for mid and large business.

Apart of above databases, MS SQL database is also good for mid and large business and PostgreSQL (Opensource) is also good for websites and small business. PostgreSQL is also available with Enterprise edition with license.

giteshtrivedi, Oct 6, 2012 IP