1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is a Better Directory software? eSyndiCat or phpLinkDirectory.

Discussion in 'Directories' started by iworkforthem, Jan 9, 2007.

What's your view?

iworkforthem, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  2. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You probably aren't asking me. ;)

dvduval, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  3. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I seriously suggest Phpld3...bunch of templates and lots of users..you can get help from others!

xc06, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  4. sabian1982

sabian1982 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think there was a recent thread on this...

At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice. I love phpLD and wouldnt change it for the world - but so saying eSyndiCat has some wicked features as well. Personally i'd say the following for phpLD is greater so thats a bonus when you want templates and/or support.

sabian1982, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  5. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This question has been asked quite a few times here.

From a sheer numbers perspective, you will see more folks around here using David's script.

The best answer to your question is it depends upon what you want from the script you choose, how you want to set up your site, and how much web programming expertise you come to the table with (assuming you don't pay someone else to set it up for you).

I would encourage you to check out a previous thread where another script owner wrote a comparison article between their own script and the two you ask about. (Yes, it does have a bit of a slant towards their own product, but the author does raise a number of valid issues.) You can find that discussion here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=191574

I think that you should consider some of the other scripts mentioned in that thread before making your decision, so you have all your options in front of you rather than simply choosing one of the two that are most talked about. (I currently use eSyndicat for my site, but also support the phpLynx directory script - here's a link to the phpLynx forum)

That thread also contains comments and links about several of the alternative scripts available along with some hard and honest conversation about all of them.

When you begin to get closer to deciding which script is right for your needs, I would hang around the forums for that script for a couple of days. I think moreso than what folks around here will tell you about their favorite (there's quite a bit of cheerleading around here) the forums are where you can really see how well the scripts work and how responsive their staff is to dealing with individual and script issues. When looking at the support forums, I would suggest you take stock of the following:

1. How many posts are unanswered?
    2. How many posts are answered, but the original poster is left without a solution to their problem?
    3. How many posts are calls for help vs discussions about the business of owning a directory and how to make the script better for everyone?
    4. How do the moderators generally treat the general members? Are they helpful? insulting? or absent?
    5. Are the good ideas becoming part of the script or simply offered as a mod that each directory owner has to install?
    6. Are there large time periods where there is no one around to offer assistance? Is there anyone supporting the script on weekends?
    7. Is the script owner active in the forums or only posts when they have to?

YMC, Jan 9, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  6. iworkforthem

iworkforthem Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you would definitely recommend eSyndiCat! :D

iworkforthem, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  7. iworkforthem

iworkforthem Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks mate! Great info.. I will remember to do that next time I post any thread. :p

8. Mihai

Mihai Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to wake up some day and find your website penetrated due to recent phpLD vulnerabilities, go with it, it is a good way to be insecure.

On the other hand, buying the pro version and customizing it will do a bit more then what is offered originally so I think it all comes to preferences and taste.

Regards

Mihai, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  9. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Lets make this clear and as concise as possible:

The script is NOT what makes the directory a success. It is the owner and the effort put forth into it that makes it a success. I don't care whether if it's phpLD, esyndicat, site-sift, wsnlinks, [insert every other script here].

*YOU* are the key to the success of your endeavor. It's not going to be an overnight success thing either. It takes time and probably more patience than you could ever have imagined, expected and are even prepared for.

That is my .02, so take it as you may.

Rob

an0n, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  10. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    an0n is right about the amount of work required to make a directory successful. I would speculate that 95% of the directories out there are not going to generate enough revenue to justify the time and effort needed to build a successful directory.

Too many people are just using a standard freebie template and the same categories used by thousands of other directories. IMHO, this is a recipe for failure. There isn't any quick path to success. Plan on putting a lot of time and expense into it.

TechEvangelist, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  11. iworkforthem

iworkforthem Peon

Best Answers:
    Just another question relating to Directory.

How many directories of good PR must I submit before I see any real effect on my Google PR or backlinks? :confused:

12. codeX

codeX Active Member

Best Answers:
    i am very happy with esyndicat

codeX, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  13. ccoonen

ccoonen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would recomend eSyndicat but ofcourse I haven't played with the latest phpLD ;) both have their goods and "could-be-betters". Make sure to check out the demo of both :)

ccoonen, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  14. Antonio

Antonio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As many as you can submit ;)

Antonio, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  15. cantufind

cantufind Banned

Best Answers:
    Do you know Rob, for once amidst all this trash that gets posted you are spot on, and that includes my own script which would fit in here maybe :D [phplynx]

Anyone thinking an overnight fix is buying or getting a free script, making it look pretty and then waiting for the money to come in just is either naive or isn't being told the truth, it simply isn't going to happen.

cantufind, Jan 17, 2007 IP
  16. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I believe esyndicat to be the one of the best directory scripts. Obviously, I would hope that people will choose phpLD, but I think esyndicat has done a great job, and if anyone was not satisfied phpLD, I would recommend esyndicat as the best alternative. I have also been pretty impressed recently with openLD and IndexU. Both of the owners have demonstrated professionalism and a knowledge of programming. They will be worth watching.

That said, you can expect the next release of phpLD to be a huge step forward. I cannot reveal exactly what we have in store for phpLD, but I can't wait to show you! :)

dvduval, Jan 17, 2007 IP
  17. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That attitude there David is what makes you a winner.

wwws, Jan 17, 2007 IP
  18. sly24

sly24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i like them both. i cant wait for the phpld :)

sly24, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  19. nicecoder

nicecoder Peon

Best Answers:
    If you compare the features head to head, then you'll see that esyndicate offer more advance features. But it's like what dvduval said, phpld seem the most popular in this forum.

nicecoder, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  20. cantufind

cantufind Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree, without a question the popularity rests with David in this forum and quite a few more, it doesn't make his script any better though. phpLD has done a lot for directory evolution but isnt it time to take the blinkers of and perhaps look at the features of a script as opposed to liking the owner?

My question is though, has anyone dared to take the plunge and try other scripts that can challenge the 'big two'? Lynx's free version more than stands up to even the paid versions of the popular ones. In saying that though, are people savvy enough to catch on that communities are for vanity and good scripts are sanity? :confused:

Don't get me wrong, the phpld forum has plenty going on there, I spent lots of good times learning there, I've never been to the esyndicat one, but to me I want money and the way to do that is to seek out the best script that offers v.f.m (free is good) and use it to its maximum potential.

cantufind, Jan 20, 2007 IP