1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which forum software?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by hdpinn, Apr 7, 2006.

I've tried most (if not all) of the main open source forums and none of them meets up with vbulletin. SMF is the most feature rich, but it is still limited compared to vbulletin. I find vbulletin a headache to work with becuase of the admin based template system... I'd just rather edit a php file than have to log into admin and make an edit via the database.

Any suggestions to have vbulletin functionality but with file based templates or, better yet, no templating system?

hdpinn, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  2. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    iatbm, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  3. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

The templates are what makes it EASY to deal with.

joeychgo, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  4. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree...I don't understand how it is easier to download a php file, edit it, save it, and reupload it than it is to log into your ACP, open a template, edit it, and save it...

You're making edits in the ACP, not the database...there's a big difference

GTAce, Apr 8, 2006 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Probably becuase when you edit a template on your desktop you have IDE tools to help with color coding etc.

I just set up a small forum for information sharing on a very, very tight niche using phorum and really liked the template construction. It's not vBulletin, not even a pretender but for what I needed it certainly delivered.

I found the templating system a huge relief compared to vBulletin. I've also just reskinned one of my directories which gives an option of editing the templates online or uploading the changes. I uploaded :)

I certainly prefer to fix skins and templates using standard desktop tools.

sarahk, Apr 8, 2006 IP
  6. PeterHugo

PeterHugo Guest

Best Answers:
    A few days ago I setup a Freeware Forum I did it with PhPBB a "highly customizable Open Source bulletin board package" as they say.

It's relatively easy to setup ... if you know to setup a MySQL database
    I find the admin control panel satisfying.
    PhbBB has a lot of Mod's. But not so easy to implement.

PeterHugo, Apr 8, 2006 IP
  7. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer non database templates as well. PHP files are incredibly easy to edit from my FTP program. I just click "edit" and it downloads them and opens my html editor in 1 movement. I then click "save to remote" and it takes that file and reuploads any edits I made. So really that's just 2 steps. However with VB I need to make a few clicks just to get into the admincp area where the templates are and then I have to find the template area. Normally the editing window for VB is smaller than the actual code so you need to scroll around in a box to find your code. Often I cut and paste it into my html editor so I can read it more easily.

VB template system blows.

RectangleMan, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  8. PeterHugo

PeterHugo Guest

Best Answers:
    I setted up a forum in PhPBB not a hard core to do...but you need some mods you like to implementate...but this went also good...unless a new version is released :)
    But I must confirm that VB must be the best to setup and maitain en also userfriendly

BUT VB cots 125$ and PhPBB is free and hat makes for me a hudge difference...

Why shoud I choose VP and paying or rather than PhPBB for free and already setup and running.

PeterHugo, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  9. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, first, vB is not $125 ;)

It is $85 for a yearly license and $160 for a lifetime license.

Why pick vB over phpBB?

Security, features, updates, easy to modify, easy to upgrade, larger mod/support community, more professional appearance. Plenty of reasons...if you have the money, it is well worth your investment.

GTAce, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  10. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    bullsheet...**cough**

I don't agree with most of that. You keep on drinking that VB kool aid. There are a pile of free forum alternatives not just phpbb and many give VB a run for it's money. $80 a year...pfff $160 for a lifetime license...pfff....with a lifetime you don't actually get lifetime upgrades or support so that's bullsheet too.

RectangleMan, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  11. tomzx

tomzx Peon

Best Answers:
    ^^ You can't afford it...

On the vBulletin problem: if I stand correct, there's a possibility to make those templates to be stored as files, but I would go directly to the forums and ask there, I'm sure you'll find the answer to that. Otherwise check their hacks database, I'm sure someone elses wanted to have the templates as files instead of stored mysql info.

tomzx, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  12. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    I can afford it..just don't want to waste any money on it. I have already about 10 forums and I need about 10 more...so why should I pay VB $2k a year or more when I can use a free solution.

RectangleMan, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  13. tomzx

tomzx Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, use those free solutions, but don't expect them to be safe (even though paid solution aren't too, but at least they fix it quite fast). By the way, the vBulletin license are, in my opinion, not the best one, I rather like IPB ones because you get lifetime upgrade for like 10$+ amd I find it more user friendly, even though there's less plugins available.

Have fun creating your forums.

tomzx, Apr 11, 2006 IP