1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which forum software?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Skribblez, Nov 18, 2005.

Hello, I'm going to develop one of my domains - rantsforum.com

I'm looking for a forum software I can use and eventually move to vBulletin.. However:

1) I don't want to use phpBB, it's easily exploitable.

2) I don't want to use IPB either, it's also very easily exploitable.

I've got SMF in mind, but from past experiences, users usually have to reset their passwords once we move to vB from SMF, and that annoys me and the members, and it makes the forum die.

Can someone please recommend something worth installing? :confused: (and capable of moving to vB)

Skribblez, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  2. jojoyohan

jojoyohan Peon

Best Answers:
    Umm I don't know where you get your info from but it just isn't accurate. phpBB isn't exploitable as long as you stay current with the versions. I use it on most of my forums and I upgrade them within a week of the original upgrade.

jojoyohan, Nov 19, 2005 IP
  3. usedmac

usedmac Peon

Best Answers:
    I am using PHPBB also and love it. Just make sure you keep everything updated.

usedmac, Nov 19, 2005 IP
  4. gprime

gprime Guest

Best Answers:
    1) With phpbb security, careful scrutinization of mods prior to their installation, proper security settings on your server, and keeping on top of updates, phpbb can be very secure. Out of the box its garbage, but can be wonderful when modded.
    2) IPB is not easily exploitable, but their releases are highly buggy, their support staff is piss poor, and their modding communities in on the throws of death.

SMF is not a bad piece of software, especially once modded, but it is awful for styling. And it has a crappy ACP.

YaBB is a decent option along the same lines as SMF, but requires you to have Perl support, which many hosts do not have.

vBulletin is the best option. It has an excellent ACP, good support, and a world-class modding community. Great with out of the box SEO, and has several excellent SEO hacks for it. Great to skin and very powerful. The only drawback is that it doesn't use postgresql. Of course none of the major ones do.

Now, if you're not interested in vB, some other options for you to look up are: Web Wiz Forums, Snitz, PunBB, MegaBBS, UBB, WtcBB, MyBB, and XMB.

gprime, Nov 21, 2005 IP
  5. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    since ya said no tp phpBB get some money and buy vBulletin, its the only software i would bother with

just-4-teens, Nov 21, 2005 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you plan on (or even have aspirations) to having a forum with any sort of traffic, you will save yourself a lot of time by starting with vBulletin. Everything about it is better... even down to the moderation tools (a forum of this size could be moderated by a single person).

A one-time cost of $160 isn't much when you factor into it everything it does as well as the time saved by using it. Not only that, if you get enough traffic, you can actually MAKE money by running it (I make about $800/year by having the vBulletin link you see on the footer here).

digitalpoint, Nov 21, 2005 IP