1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which Domain Name is Best

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mnemtsas, Sep 2, 2004.

Hi There,

I'm conducting a small SEO experiment which you can read about here: http://www.moving-target-software.com/blog/ . Basically using some knowledge from my day job and the awesome power of my PR5 :rolleyes: website I'm seeing if I can dominate the SERPS for some niche home improvement products. Some Adsense ads on the pages are bringing in some money, enough in the last week to buy a couple of domain names and start some new sites.

So on the question of domain names, from an SEO point of view, lets say I am targetting 'roller blinds'. Which of the following is the best choice for a domain name:

www.rollerblinds.biz <- Does the hyphen or lack of make a difference?
    www.roller-blinds.biz
    www.roller-blinds.info <- Do the domain extensions make a difference?
    www.rollerblinds.info

Looking forward to some feedback.

Mark

mnemtsas, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  2. Geir

Geir Berserker

Best Answers:
    I think the hyphen is thought to be good for SEO. On the other hand, if the domain without hyphen is available, I think that looks more professional.

As for .info or .biz I doubt if it will influence positioning, so I would chose the one that best fits with the content you plan on putting up. If you will be SELLING go for .biz, if you will be offering information go for .info

Good luck - make sure to order your choice before somebody else pick these domains up, they all seem to be available right now...

:) Geir

Geir, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  3. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    Actually I'm not sure what I'll be doing with it :eek: . It's just something to play with, I've got half a mind to look into relevant affiliate programs and so on and have a play with those too. I've never done affiliate or adsense stuff before and would like to experiment a little more. I must admit that having written a bit of content (in around thirty minutes) and popped it up on my site and garnering money (for essentially doing nothing) from Adsense if sort of addictive. I can understand why people do it.

I'm leaning toward registering all of the domains and sitting on them till I decide what to do.

mnemtsas, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  4. DomainLoot

DomainLoot Guest

Best Answers:
    The 2 withOUT the hyphens - get both and direct them to the same site ;)

Good luck,
    Mike

DomainLoot, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  5. caroline

caroline Peon

Best Answers:
    Get the .biz without the hyphen. And if you can, get the .info too. :)

caroline, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  6. Jackobo007

Jackobo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Get all 4, they'll probably cost you $15 - $20 all together

Jackobo007, Sep 3, 2004 IP