1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which directories give best results

Discussion in 'Directories' started by harshakiran, Sep 17, 2007.

1. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya know, "it bottles my mind" that nobody has asked you, what kind of results are you looking for?

I agree. You can also take a look at LinksQuitters Directory, we offer permanent listings if guidelines are met.
    I also agree with the above but a LOT of good directories are left out of that list for whatever reason. Maybe it's cause I didn't submit my site to his? :D

threebuckchuck, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  2. iPod

iPod Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well...that's true. There are lot many good directories. But to name all, i would have to make a list. I admit, i haven't even named 10 percent of all good directories out there on net. I forgot Malcolm's directories. Chris' directories. Jeff has few more quality directories. Why...i even forgot mine ;). So i think right now people can go ahead with avivadirectory's list as the best "worked upon" source for strong directories :)

iPod, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  3. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    No disrespect to any of the directories listed by Aviva but on principal I wouldnt take anything Jeff has anything to do with at face value. His attitude sucks and he has zero credibility in my eyes.

But then again I dont really know him and can only judge him by he way he handles these sort of situations.

workshop, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  4. coolweb

coolweb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most of times i have seen you criticizing others specially sometime alive directory, then aviva, and now you are attacking them personally.

If you have so much problem with their lists, style of aggressive promotions, then why don't you make even a single directory like that of alive or aviva?

If you don't like the principal of Jeff's list, then why don't you show such sort of list, or any full of principals list where we can find strongest directories and directories which can give best results to every user over the net?

I will be waiting anxiously for the valuable resources and will see the standards and principals you will follow in those resources and lists.

coolweb, Sep 20, 2007 IP
    maldives likes this.
  5. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I have given Eco Guides as an example of what I consider to be a quality dirctory in a couple of other threads and cant wait for your feedback as I have no doubt it will be well thought out and constructive.

workshop, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  6. coolweb

coolweb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have visited your mentioned directory Eco Guides that is your selection :) it shows how experienced and mature you are while selecting a valuable resource.

The Quality directory you showed needs to be improved in more than hundreds ways:

1- Directory has no custom/unique design, using default template. Giving an odd view at first sight, most of users/advertisers/site owners will leave your Quality directory by visiting it's common template.

2- Directory (so call Guides) has no comprehensive category structure, categories are being created and spreaded here and there in haphazard manner.

3- Latest Listings page http://www.ecoguides.net/directory/index.php?p=d there are very few links there, not sure those are resources you added by hand or got paid submissions.

4- http://www.ecoguides.net/directory/ Quality Directory has no proper meta tags, except Title is being given if source code can be seen.

5- Most (%95+) of categories are empty, there are no resources in the categories for the users, for which they can admired of your directory by visiting those resources.

6- Directory is not giving proper credits to the script owner, Powered by Link is placed on home page only, not on inside pages so there is partial stealing (may be that directory owner is not good with coding how to edit footer link properly)

7- No articles, no useful tips, no content there in your Quality Directory.

8- I cannot see any value there for the general user (as there is nothing for general users to seek anything form there) as well as for the advertiser who is looking for strong back link for his site.

You need to spend more time here around Directories Forums to learn more about first Directories and then about Quality Directories. So start learning now instead of wasting your time criticizing others!

coolweb, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  7. Antonio

Antonio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agree with Aism, there is another thing I think is important. I would take care of the age of the directory, the older the more believable. :)

Antonio, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  8. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That justifies all the bullsh*ts you have been telling here.

maldives, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  9. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    The Quality directory you showed needs to be improved in more than hundreds ways:

1- Directory has no custom/unique design, using default template. Giving an odd view at first sight, most of users/advertisers/site owners will leave your Quality directory by visiting it's common template.
    Its targeting a niche community that are looking for resources not award winning graphics. Who really cares what other directory owners think? They are not our target market.

2- Directory (so call Guides) has no comprehensive category structure, categories are being created and spreaded here and there in haphazard manner.
    It offers webmasters of sites wanting to list some idea of what they can and cant do. I don't think we have a category for MFA or Affiliate sites but if I do find one I will suggest that the directory master deletes it. Nothing in our directories is constant. The directory masters are expected to improvise and customise over time.

3- Latest Listings page http://www.ecoguides.net/directory/index.php?p=d there are very few links there, not sure those are resources you added by hand or got paid submissions.
    Hand picked quality content. This directory is going to become an authorative resource serving a niche market and given time it will draw traffic which few other general directories ever will.

4- http://www.ecoguides.net/directory/ Quality Directory has no proper meta tags, except Title is being given if source code can be seen.
    You are mumbling. We are not particularly interested in playing the SEO game. Yes we offer webmasters the opportunity to list in our directory and we offer back links with long term value but none of them expect traffic from us, so why waste time stressing over something that is not important?

5- Most (%95+) of categories are empty, there are no resources in the categories for the users, for which they can admired of your directory by visiting those resources.
    Attractive isn't it? Plenty of elbow room, top level categories no useless filler content.

6- Directory is not giving proper credits to the script owner, Powered by Link is placed on home page only, not on inside pages so there is partial stealing (may be that directory owner is not good with coding how to edit footer link properly)
    You got me there. Have been planning on re-installing the footer and whilst I did ask the question I cant figure out how or why the home page works when the others don't. Its a template and suspect a coding error in the version we downloaded. But so what the link works. It can wait.?

7- No articles, no useful tips, no content there in your Quality Directory.
    Do me a favour. Its a directory nothing more

8- I cannot see any value there for the general user (as there is nothing for general users to seek anything form there) as well as for the advertiser who is looking for strong back link for his site.
    Then you must be blind. Indexed pages and long term value for the back links. Editorial integrity and quality content for the enthusiasts who are already visiting the site and watching it develop. Its a real site with a real directory master. What else do you want?

You need to spend more time here around Directories Forums to learn more about first Directories and then about Quality Directories. So start learning now instead of wasting your time criticizing others!
    It might be news to you but I learn very quickly and decided two years ago that I don't want my sites to look anything like the sort of stuff being touted around as quick ways to make a few bucks. If you haven't figured it out yet, this is all deliberate and what I am trying to say is that I don't want anyone to think I am or ever will be "one of the boys". We have no intention of conning anyone into thinking we are anything but what we are. And to be quite frank we are not interested in listing anyone who is going to get suckered by the sort of clap trap some of the members of this forum keep spouting.

Finally this is where I believe all quality directories should start. The only real values of any relevance are editorial integrity and long term prospects. We have both but what about you?

10. coolweb

coolweb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So it proves that you are really Directory Master and Directory Gurru I will really appreciate if you can teach all of us what quality directory is :)

Your replies and your Quality Directory has proved enough that you got advance editorial integrity, and we are helpless here in front of you. I salute your quality directory, you must be happy now :)

coolweb, Sep 20, 2007 IP
    an0n likes this.
  11. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you.
    green coming your way ;)
    But dont hold your breath

12. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    omg Asim, please teach me his ways after he is done spreading his vast knowledge set and worldwide experiences with you.

hahaha.. green sent.

an0n, Sep 20, 2007 IP
    Colleen likes this.
  13. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    You won't be helpless if you help yourself! My suggestion is that you decide for yourself what a good directory and stop following the crowd ... they are starting to jump off a bridge ... will you follow?

You should also stop with your list of 8 of the top 100 things that can be improved on other people's directories. You sound foolish as most of that stuff doesn't matter (meta tags? are you living in the 90's). I'd hate to see how petty the next 92 things will be.

ErectADirectory, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  14. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i didn't want to quote another stupid long post but would like to mention here as you said one very funny thing in your post ...

"This directory is going to become an authorative resource"

Now don't recommend it as a quality site because it is not yet, and you admit it by yourself saying it is going to become.

I wonder how many idiots in this world submit to a directory which doesn't rank well for the keywords? SEO Games and you are not interested in those.

My friend this industry called "Directories" is the biggest seo game. Now if you say that your directory is a part of this industry i mean otherwise it won't be a directory. Than you are also in this SEO Game.

Peice of advice: Learning about this SEO Game will help you.

"Attractive isn't it? Plenty of elbow room, top level categories no useless filler content."

I thought you were targetting your users not webmasters .... than listing a quality site will definatly help the user.

Hypothetical Example: If you have Computer Shops... i would definately include bestbuy.com or some other site like that just to send my users and give them a good resource because i like bestbuy.com (That my friend is called Editorial Integrity)

Not what half of these owners claim including you.. You pay and you get approved (OUR EDITORIAL INTEGRITY)...

Yahoo Editors: add the site if they like it without any charge. search google and you will threads in forums people posting i got into yahoo for free. That is called Editorial Integrity because it is not always depended on pay. Unlike Yours.

Next thing, i thought you really cared about your directory and have DIRECTORY MASTERS working for you than Why are you still using a version with an error?? Don't have 15 minutes to reinstall ??? You are a real Ripper (forget real webmaster) and your integrity with your site and your word is shown here and the crediblity shall be questioned as i believe when you downloaded phpLD you checked that box that you agreed to all the terms. How credible are your resources and your lifetime link claim ???

Glad that you atleast admit that your site is JUST ANOTHER Directory nothing more because in order to have a quality directory you have to provide something additional. Not just a directory which lacks editorial integrity and have a real ripper owner.

And as my answer to your conclusion sentence is,

I have learned my definition of this directory, which have questionable editorial / owner integrity and credibility. Your long term promises are questionable if you can't deal with your present problems than how can you even say your future is bright.

Since you have directory masters, one can't even edit a simple footer.tpl. I would be ashamed of such master.

Now i dont go around saying my site is THE BEST because i know it is not and there can be many things done with it to make it even better and as day progress i work on it.

Point to be noted is that you shall do the same while i am no one to tell you what to do but as a friendly webmaster i would suggest that you work on your directory and make it quality and let your site talk rather you babbling here all day.

smub, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  15. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    The directory master is sixty years old and has to be re-trained every two weeks just to help her to find the "Continue" button. Give me a break. If I was employing anyone I would find myself a school leaver to exploit. But this is the course I have chosen and I will get around to the frigging template after I have got her through the blog she does not want to go anywhere near.

But can we stick to critiquing the directory rather than having a go at my pedigree
    Its a quality directory because we already have editorial integrity and long term value. It will become an authoritive resource as we grow it and start networking. The two are not mutually dependant. Maybe I am stretching things a bit but weren't you suckered into that bullsh*t about Authority status and PR?
    Why idiots? If you are looking for a back link wouldn't it make sense to pay for a back link and back link only. You might then end up being pleasantly surprised if you get some quality traffic further on down the road. Idiot yes, if you insist on paying a premium for traffic we all know is more often than not industry generated.
    You cannot be all things to all people. Have you not heard of the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none"? We would rather focus on a niche category within a general directory and do it right. This leaves it up to those on World Wide Web to fill the other categories and provide us with the start up income we need to add all the bells and whistles you believe are so important.
    You are now making assumptions you are not qualified to make. Why would we accept all sites if the cornerstone of our build is Editorial Integrity? Do you believe the sites we have listed in Eco Guides paid to get there? Do you believe they are the same MFA junk that you find in Alive and which I am led to believe in Aviva?

snigger....smirk smirk
    Wish I had more of that green stuff
    you make me want to throw up. Twit!

16. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL gets better Workshop, i can picture this 60 year old beltin you with a walking stick saying " get on that there forum and tells them boys how it's all done"

You bring a smile to my face :)

DownUnder, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  17. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am still waiting for the answer to my question regarding your credibility. No comments there.

Btw: one of the high school drop outs right now is a CEO of Apple and one college drop out is a founder of Microsoft.

I dont know what point are you trying to make by differing between a school drop out and a 60 year old women who can't find a continue button.

Personal thought i would rather hire a high school dropout who can do the work rather than a 60 year old who i have to show how the new world works.

About your comment regarding authority status and pr ... If i was a sucker of either one i would be saying your directory comes no where near my site as i have a pr 5 with 36k alexa.

Next thing if a link was a link than a link on google.com would worth the same as your directory ??? wudn't it. Obviously links do have some value and value varies from each site. Whereas your site have no value because if it doesn't target keywords .... it doesn't get the SE Traffic. How will i know that your site will even have my detail page indexed or rank even on the 100k plus backlinks that i have because i am very sure another 100k of the backlinks don't appear in yahoo because those are sites like yours which my workers submit to while going through the list of free directories list.

just an FYI: I am not a school drop out :)

Being in a "professional" industry at a young age doesn't mean that you have to be a drop out.

smub, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  18. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Bio-diversity which I think should be spelt biodiversity, was cached on 7th Sept so the links on that page will count when they get picked up. But no they wont count as much as a link from Yahoo or Dmoz (Google). However there is a very good chance that they carry more weight than either Alive or Aviva.
    Questions, questions, questions. Slow down and let me finish one lot before firing off another salvo at me. I haven't even run spell check on the last one and am petrified messers Evers and Ever is going to pull me up on charges again.
    You are not listening. My first priority is to show the directory master how to build a quality resource, listing quality content and how to generate a revenue for themselves. I am not interested in employing anyone. Get that straight. If our installer and phpld between them provide dodgy scripts they will just have to wait till I get around to figuring out what I have to do to fix. The link however is working. What do you not understand about that?
    Thats what I am doing and I am finding that its difficult to keep up with all the babbling you are doing. Integrity is important but I don't see much of that around me. Try to understand our sites are bare bones stuff for that very reason and whilst we are on the subject didn't you and anOn recently have an altercation about something silly?
    Me too and that was the point I was making. Seems it went right over your head but no harm in that. I am obscure at the best of times. But you also need to differentiate between a high school drop out and a school leaver. I fall into the ranks of the former and would never even think of offering myself a job for obvious reasons.
    Just as long as you are not pimping I have no arguments with that either.

19. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    alang, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  20. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    And whats wrong with them? They are both gambling sites. They were reiewed by the directory master. I have also had a look at the sites and dont have a problem with them. But if they are unsuitable we will address your concerns. Isnt that what integrity is all about? We are not going to run away from our responsibilities or any constructive criticism. However just to get this argument in the proper perspective we were talking about Eco Guides and not Directory Masters which is not a priority project at this stage.