1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which datacenter?

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by steveinid, Feb 6, 2005.

The keyword tracker (GREAT TOOL BTW) shows me at no. 2 today for a certain keyword... However, I am nowhere to be found in google.

Yesterday, I was number 80 for the kw but doing a search in google had me at no. 1.

I would update my Keywords and then immediately do a search in Google to revel in my success. So, there is little to no delay from the update to my searching.

Does DP's KWT work off a different datacenter... or something like that. I'm in Idaho and I'm guessing DP is on the Westcoast... Physically, anyway, don't know where you host at.

Thanks
    Steve

steveinid, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  2. wrkalot

wrkalot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The datacenter is random when using the API I think

wrkalot, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  3. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe Google uses geotargetting to point the user (including the API user) to the nearest datacenter. That may mean that the dp keyword tool *normally* gets a california server and you *normally* get one that's near where you are. You can use mcdar's tool to check different datacenters. mcdar's google datacenter tool

exam, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  4. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know if geotargeting is the answer because I see one of my sites listed as No. 1 in the KWT. Using Firefox on one machine shows my competitor as No. 1. Going to a different machine (same IP) and doing an identical search, my site is listed as No. 1. So I used the tool listed above and I find my site listed at the top for 2 of the datacenters but my competitor tops for the other 4.

Can somebody tell me if I'm in trouble?

TIA

Niles

neterslandreau, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  5. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Probably can't tell if you're in trouble yet. Everyone is still waiting for the datacenters to calm down and be consistent.

stephfoster, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  6. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    Consistent. I can go with that.. assuming I come out on top ;)

Actually, I get tired of chasing Google. I get 4 times the traffic from MSN than from Google and the same holds true for Yahoo. But I have a sneaking suspicion that Google has the mother-lode so I continue the chase.

neterslandreau, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  7. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    As far as I know (unless something has changed) The Google API is not connected to or a part of any Datacenter. It is separate from them all.

To anyone who is fairly new to all of the SEO stuff, understanding all this talk of Datacenters may have your head reeling.

I have written an article in an attempt to help folks get a little better understanding of just what Datacenters are and how they effect the search results. It may help explain the "I was here one minute and gone the next" phenomenon.

Here is a link to the aticle About Google Datacenters

Caryl

mcdar, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The Google API connects to the same data centers that the normal search uses. Google routes the request to the appropriate data center. The keyword tracker is based in Southern California, so if you are also in Southern California, in most cases you are using the same data center as the keyword tracker.

digitalpoint, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  9. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    Very informative article. Thanks.

neterslandreau, Feb 11, 2005 IP