1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which CMS should I use?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by peraduanku, Jul 20, 2009.

Hi,

I need some help here from you guys. I've been given an assignment to build a website using html. However the are requirement that I have to follow.

She want the website can be edited easily without touching the code everytime she want to update the content. But the problem is, there are no mySQL or any database. I've been looking for open source CMS but most of it require the user to create a database.

Do you have any suggestion which software/program I should use to tackle this problem?

peraduanku, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  2. Rodder7

Rodder7 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Rodder7, Jul 20, 2009 IP
  3. TheDataPlanet.com

TheDataPlanet.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Write a flat file manipulation class in PHP and mimic the api of a database such as MySQL.

TheDataPlanet.com, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  4. wssadb

wssadb Peon

Best Answers:
    Use Wordpress. Its open source, easy to develop plus has constent updates and cool plugins for everything

wssadb, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  5. peraduanku

peraduanku Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Rodder7, i'll figure out how it works.

Guys, its an assignment from my lecturer to update her personal webpages on university website. They do not provide any database such as mySQL for personal website pages. However my lecturer want me come out with something that she can update her content easily without touching the html code since she really dont know anything about html etc.

peraduanku, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  6. swedeman7

swedeman7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is just the simplest and most user-friendly. I love Wordpress.

swedeman7, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  7. masterwongso

masterwongso Banned

Best Answers:
    I like wordpress to. simple , easy and there are a lot of free plugin to support this cms.

masterwongso, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  8. FreeCashTube

FreeCashTube Peon

Best Answers:
    most hosting companies provide you with some sort of database access....you will need it if your going to use a simple CMS.....it can be done without a database, however makes your research a little more difficult

FreeCashTube, Jul 23, 2009 IP
  9. xeraphone

xeraphone Peon

Best Answers:
    try http cms.rodadewa.net :D

xeraphone, Jul 23, 2009 IP
  10. Bratzilla

Bratzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Quick question - by CMS, are you referring to a system requiring user authentication?

I'd have strong security concerns about using a CMS that has people logging in that wasn't backed by a database at least for the purposes of housing user data.

For example, the eFiction (efiction.org) script uses data tables to house user data and keep track of the various user documents. The actual content itself is stored as separate files on the server. Though eFiction is not a CMS in the traditional sense, it is nonetheless an example of a system that uses data tables for tracking data while keeping actual content in pure file form.

Another example is Website Baker. This CMS has user authentication tables and allows the creation of separate files for content that are stored on the server (though with the PHP extension).

I'm curious - why the need for a system that doesn't use ANY data tables?

Bratzilla, Jul 24, 2009 IP
  11. CouponCodes

CouponCodes Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress should do what you want

CouponCodes, Jul 24, 2009 IP
  12. sipherdesign

sipherdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    WordPress hands down, it has everything you want.

sipherdesign, Jul 25, 2009 IP
  13. Hakkairu

Hakkairu Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Tell her to get used to wordpress. Its not that hard. haha :p

Hakkairu, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  14. cupid007

cupid007 Peon

Best Answers:
    But WP needs a Database...

The Op doesn't have access to a database...

cupid007, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  15. Bratzilla

Bratzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    The OP said there are NO databases - not the same as not having the ability to create one. ;) Also, there is no such thing as a true CMS that doesn't use a database. The question is type of db (i.e. flat-file, MYSQL, MSSQL, Oracle, etc.).

The OP's client sounds like someone I worked three years or so ago - a self-described "techno-pagan". Many times those new to the concept of a CMS are scared of databases. The solution I selected in that case, Website Baker, does indeed use a database (MYSQL). HOWEVER, the selling point was that the client DID NOT have to touch the db to handle her content. Kind of a "set it and forget it" situation. All this time, hardly ever a problem and she is STILL extremely happy with the solution.

This may be a case of client education. I personally will not provide a solution I don't believe in, and try everything to get someone to understand an issue in greater depth. For example, the database situation - I explained it in such a way my "techo-pagan" got it and became VERY comfortable. Limiting oneself to "flat file" only really cuts down on the number of good CMS options that are available, not to mention security concerns regarding data and future growth capabilities of the site itself (though the user may not really care about this). More discussion with the client would be needed to really understand the "what" and "why" of his or her solution choices.

Nevertheless, here are some flat-file CMS options that I found. None of them appear nearly as good as WordPress, Website Baker, or CMS Made Simple, but at least they look viable:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/arboroiancms/ (now rebranded LotusCMS)
    http://www.razorcms.co.uk/ (RazorCMS)
    http://www.freeguppy.org/?lng=en (FreeGuppy, French but with a separate English site)
    http://opensolution.org/index,pl.html?sLang=en (QuickCMS, another foreign language site with an English site. According to the author, the developers has been around since 2003. Hotscripts listed has QuickCMS since 2006).

Just do a search on Hotscripts.com, Opensourcecms.com ( or even Sourceforge.net) for "flat file CMS" and you'll find even more stuff.

Bratzilla, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  16. keaglez

keaglez Peon

Best Answers:
    Another list I know...

CMSimple
    Simple PHP Blog

It's good for small website, but doesn't seems good for bigger website... :)

keaglez, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  17. amircann100

amircann100 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well try this can't get easier then this cms 1024cms.org:)

amircann100, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  18. GeorgeHodgkins

GeorgeHodgkins Peon

Best Answers:
    I use textpattern, it's open source, easy to make different blogs within a blog and there are thousands of extensions availble. You can even get it to post your articles to twitter as soon as you write them.
    My website with textpattern "www.family-guy-world.com"

GeorgeHodgkins, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  19. Cookie Creative

Cookie Creative Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla or WP, should do the trick.
    Their are many others too.

Cookie Creative, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  20. peraduanku

peraduanku Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi guys.. thanks a lot for your help. I might persuade her to use wp I think. Since its easy and i'm familiar with it. Anyways I appreciate all your help... thanks again

peraduanku, Jul 28, 2009 IP