1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which CMS is best

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by jawednazarali, Sep 8, 2006.

1. dotcompals

dotcompals Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What about ModX ? has anybody can comment on it?

dotcompals, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  2. HSJason

HSJason Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla seems to be the most popular, ive used it twice and its very easy and great to use.

HSJason, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  3. Kingdom85

Kingdom85 Peon

Best Answers:
    i can tell you a CMS i would not recommend - Red Dot. our site uses it and the site is in pieces. it has gradually got like that over time and now we are in the process of a re-design.

so avoid Red Dot for sure

Kingdom85, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  4. Kingdom85

Kingdom85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla seems to be the most popular one commented on by peeps on here but are there any others that people would recommend or have enjoyed using in the past?

Kingdom85, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  5. bochgoch

bochgoch Peon

Best Answers:
    Not really my area, but I know I've seen some really crappy Joomla forums/

bochgoch, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  6. Goltu

Goltu Peon

Best Answers:
    i have the best cms available on this earth- its *SiteFinity v2.5.1 Enterprise + SourceCode*. It costs $9,999.00 and is every penny worth it.

Goltu, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  7. chankit

chankit Peon

Best Answers:
    ModX looks really good from Web 2.0 perspective. I really like the way they use AJAX to do quick edit on content page...way better than Joomla and Drupal. Admin system is also good-looking, and seemingly powerful. Haven't had a chance to look at its template system.

Drupal, on the hand, is simpler. Footprint is small, but installation for the current version has to be done manually. Adapting the themes (design) is also simple yet flexible...more so than Joomla.

Joomla evolves from Mambo, and is driven at full speed in terms of functionality and core development. That leads to very large core framework (10+MB). Installation is very easy, both for the core code and modules/templates/bots. Template system is good, but not as flexible as Drupal.

Both 404 SEF and OpenSEF have some limitations, as SEF is not built into the core of Joomla framework. I have tried both and found that for a website with over 10,000 pages, neither modules are useful.

I've been using Joomla since its inception last year (continued from Mambo). So it's the system that I'm most comfortable with. They have releases many security patches. I skipped a few and have to pay the price (my site was attacked and brought down). Luckily I just completed migrating most of the contents from Joomla to Drupal, so I was able to switch over in minutes.

Verdict? I think it will depend on your requirements. If you want to use a fancy management system, ModX is the way to go. Joomla is good if you manage only a few sites and number of pages are not really high, < 5,000 pages, say. Last, but not least, Drupal is good for general use and it's very friendly with search engine.

I ended up develop my own codes from the ground up on two websites, each with 20,000+ unique pages. But for community websites, I converted all of them to Drupal.

chankit, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  8. jawednazarali

jawednazarali Guest

Best Answers:
    i have decided to use wordpress for news/article management, I have achieved this using three column theme and few plugins.

jawednazarali, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  9. dotcompals

dotcompals Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Started using ModX. First impression is "simply great". I will post more about it after 3-4 days of working ..

dotcompals, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  10. prilep

prilep Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would say wordpress. It's just very easy to use. You have many features.

prilep, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  11. sebastya

sebastya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    they all suck IMO. I am yet to find a one easy enough for me to use.

sebastya, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  12. carl_in_florida

carl_in_florida Active Member

Best Answers:
    I set up a site with e107 once. Really easy to manage.

It took me weeks to get through the learning curve on Joomla. And I still could not get rid of those next and previous buttons. It seems to have the most potential but to figure the full scope of the thing out AGGHHH!

I like WP with the static front page extension. If you are competent enough with php then you could make expanding navigation in the sidebar based on the page you are on.

carl_in_florida, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  13. ravianz

ravianz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i have just learnt Joomla and found that suitable for my requirements; its a bit difficult to learn and takes a couple of days but after you get it its amazing

ravianz, Sep 27, 2006 IP