1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which CMS is best for education website?

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by websguy, Aug 26, 2012.

I got task to create an education website for a medical college. This would the first project i'll create. I wanted to know is there possible to create an EDU website with CMS like drupal, word press, joomla? which is one is best to edu site?

websguy, Aug 26, 2012 IP
  2. Rankx

Rankx Active Member

Best Answers:
    From my experience Joomla is better.

Rankx, Aug 27, 2012 IP
  3. bnehost.com

bnehost.com Peon

Best Answers:
    USe Joomla, its better. You may even be able to find a nice template to jump start your project as well.

bnehost.com, Aug 27, 2012 IP
  4. websguy

websguy Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply. So will you guys suggest me some designs for edu website?

websguy, Aug 27, 2012 IP
  5. Rankx

Rankx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well you can check out some template sites such as hostmonster and themeforest for some nice designs for edu website.

Rankx, Aug 27, 2012 IP
  6. websguy

websguy Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much Rankx.. Ummaah

websguy, Aug 27, 2012 IP
  7. Rankx

Rankx Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you find a design that you would like done as a Joomla template let me know.

Rankx, Aug 27, 2012 IP
  8. asad.iqbal

asad.iqbal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Moodle is good for making educational purpose website. But if this site will just deliver some content (eg. about us, contact us, organogram) then wordpress or joomla anyone is good. From my opinion wordpress is good rather than joomla because wordpress is more stable than joomla.

asad.iqbal, Aug 27, 2012 IP
  9. websguy

websguy Member

Best Answers:
    I am now confused :(. Well Joomla is in my preference because there are great templates design for joomla on templatemonster than other CMS

websguy, Aug 27, 2012 IP
  10. asad.iqbal

asad.iqbal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Recent core updates discouraged me to go with joomla, talking from my personal experience. I've made some website with some premium components in joomla 1.5. When they (joomla) began upgrading from 1.5 to 1.6>1.7>2.5 I'm just embarrassed as their template structure goes different and some component won't work even in legacy mode. My customers are also disappointed as they have sites running and didn't find any easy way yo upgrade the core files. In this mean time I noticed that wordpress is also updating but they took care of their users, some of my sites upgraded to recent version which was at least 2 years old but no problem at all or just little hack.

And there have also many free templates for wordpress and many are free, you just need to search.

asad.iqbal, Aug 27, 2012 IP
  11. Rankx

Rankx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't be confused. Joomla is a good solution. In my experience, the same Joomla template that I used for previous versions also work for the current version with 1 small adjustment. It is about how you make the template. As for designs, you can use any design for your J template.

Rankx, Aug 27, 2012 IP
  12. duckz

duckz Active Member

Best Answers:
    All three CMS can create "Education" site, the questions is what kind of education site that you are looking for? what is the specification for it? what is the expected hit the site going to have?

Then it all boils down to what is the developer favorite CMS, the one that they are most comfortable with.

duckz, Sep 5, 2012 IP
    kidken likes this.
  13. sigmainfo

sigmainfo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Drupal is good. You can also go with joomla but more votes will be with drupal

sigmainfo, Sep 17, 2012 IP
  14. wasirenan22

wasirenan22 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Drupal is good and joomla is the best.

wasirenan22, Sep 30, 2012 IP
  15. muslim_ansari

muslim_ansari Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have recently Created a School Portal in Drupal Shifted from joomla
    i think drupal is best if you wanna cutomize sort of portal

muslim_ansari, Oct 6, 2012 IP
  16. Joss Board

Joss Board Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think Wordpress is better, it is very easy to update even for non technical persons and you can resolve out problems even at your end.

Joss Board, Oct 6, 2012 IP
  17. premiumwordpressthemes

premiumwordpressthemes Active Member

Best Answers:
    premiumwordpressthemes, Oct 6, 2012 IP
  18. TRIVIAL WORKS

TRIVIAL WORKS Peon

Best Answers:
    TRIVIAL WORKS, Oct 6, 2012 IP
  19. inservo

inservo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Honestly, I would avoid going with Joomla. I have had a site I managed with several hundred articles and it was in 1.5. Then we tried to upgrade to 1.7 and after that to 2.5. Didn't work out well. At least they have dropped this stupid categories/sections classifications that never made any true sense. Talking templates: I have used YooTheme's templates and they have not been compatible between 1.5 and 2.5. Also 1.5 and 1.7 were very unstable and insecure having major flaws (uploads not working with standard browsers, slow response times etc.)

I would also opt in for Wordpress if you don't have many people to manage and do not have the need to implement an in-detail right's management system. It works right out of the box and if you are even willing to invest some bucks (<30 USD) in a template you can have a site up and running in no time (assuming you already have some content). Also the plugin system is amazing.

Drupal from my point of view is for the more experienced CMS user (just my humble opinion though) as it includes a content construction kit out of the box. That's something you can only have as an add-on with Joomla and was just introduced to Wordpress. What is a content construction kit? Well, imagine you don't want to post only articles / pages or blog posts but you run for example a movie review site. There are several elements you will find on every single on of articles: actors, director, length, publishing year. Yes, you could do that with e. g. bullet lists or tables but wouldn't it be nicer to simply have those fields / lists / check boxes / radio buttons in the backend enabling you to simply enter the same data with each post? That's what a content construction kit does! It enables you to create custom (so called) taxonomies. For your initial question of setting up an academic website - assuming that you will also post stuff like tests, quizzes, etc. - I think Drupal would be a good fit (if you are willing to invest some time, as it has a somewhat steep learning curve).

Hope that helps at least a little bit ;)

inservo, Oct 17, 2012 IP
  20. kidken

kidken Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    drupal...is awesome..go for it

kidken, Dec 14, 2012 IP