1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which Ads channel to choose for low budget

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by Zinho, Jan 5, 2005.

Greetings,
    This is my first time at advertising a website. I have low budget to promote a new shopping website for computer and electronics. I need to give it traffic for the first periods and I came across some services offering ads in popups for as low as 3.5$ per 1000 targeted impressions (Endless visitors) . I wonder how effective are ads in popups. I would like to avoid wasting at least 70% of the impressions because of the popups blockers (or just visitors quickly closing the annoying window).

Is there anybody who found some low budget service for targeted ads?
    Is it worth to advertise on AdWords with less than 100$?

Thanks in advance

Zinho, Jan 5, 2005 IP
  2. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't waste any money on buying traffic (targeted or not). If you want to spend money "buying traffic", I would recommend investing in PPC advertising. It's easier to track than buying traffic and can work out cheaper in the long run.

Ex: If you spend $3.50 per 1000 impression, what click through would you get? 1% ..... say! This means that you are actually buying 10 visitors for $3.50 or 35c a visitor. The next thing you need to consider is your conversion rate, i.e: how many people do you sell out (out of total visitors). Ex: If your conversion is 5% say (which is above average for most industries, IMO) you will be looking at a CAC (Customer acquisition cost) of around $7.00 ..... possibly higher. So, you will need to consider the services that you are offering to ensure that your profits offset the CAC.

On the other hand, if you get a PPC plan from Overture, or get an Adwords account you might be able to get clickthroughs at a lower cost (10cents say). With the same assumptions about conversion rates, your CAC would be around $2! :) Hope this gets you started!

dfsweb, Jan 11, 2005 IP
    Bernard likes this.
  3. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    How do you react to popups? I have never clicked on anything but the x to close. I will never buy from a site that runs popups.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  4. ManageMyServices

ManageMyServices Peon

Best Answers:
    Only time I click on a popup is by accident trying to close it.

ManageMyServices, Jan 12, 2005 IP
  5. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thank God for all the pop-up blockers - norton firewall, goolebar, yahoobar, sp2 for win xp, and every other bar I have seen. I haven't closed a pop-up for about 2 years unless I turn off the firewall for some reason. Hard to believe that some high quality sites even serve pop-ups - LAME.

debunked, Jan 12, 2005 IP
  6. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    True! Pop-ups are a thing of the past now. Especially with all the pop-up blockers, the're an absolute waste of money.

Anybody out there have "great success" using email marketing??

Email marketing works for us, but at the moment we only send emails to people who join our newsletter. Anybody have any thoughts on advertising in third party newsletters? And, what kinda click through one can expect?

dfsweb, Jan 12, 2005 IP
  7. Iggsey Team

Iggsey Team Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have gone for Veoda their alexa rating shows thta they get good traffic and the CPC is 1 cent per click. Whether the quality is any good or not I dont know. I tried to sign up for them to promote my site but it seems they arent accepting new advertisers. :(
    has anyone here got a good solution that can be as cost effective as this? If so please e-mail me.

Iggsey Team, Jan 15, 2005 IP
  8. roadies

roadies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Do you realize that every major windows internet browser now supports pop-up blockers by default?

IE (yes, it's true as of SP2)
    Netscape
    Mozilla/Firefox
    Opera
    AOL
    Earthlink

All of them kill pops. And if some reason someone happens to be running an old version of IE, chances are they have a toolbar installed that kills pops (like debunked said). Yahoo, Google, Alexa, and A9 are probably the most downloaded toolbars, and they all kill pops by default.

roadies, Jan 16, 2005 IP
  9. plmerlin

plmerlin Guest

Best Answers:
    Even with a little budget, go with PPC. Open an account with overture and google using their new account offers ($25 free, $5 free).

Bid on specific keywords, measure the result, adapt and make money that you reinvest in PPC.

Also increase your PR by reading tips in the forum.

plmerlin, Jan 22, 2005 IP