1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where to start (CSS) - An Expert Beginner

Discussion in 'CSS' started by hansab, Jan 21, 2009.

I have been working on websites since long time now, but never used css and always ignored it because of irritations. I was wrong because now i feel CSS is really important.

If any CSS Experienced person can guide me where to start. i have seen some people use CSS in between head tags and some people use style.css for this.

I want to learn the latest Web 2.0 Css so it can work on all browsers. Please give me all the good resources for that.

Thanks

hansab, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  2. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    w3schools.com is the best place to start of from scratch.
    But you gotta learn it fast , as CSS 2.1 is the current one and CSS 3.0 is already on the door.

Oranges, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  3. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I learned by experimenting and changing templates.
    Tip: Google "Open source templates" and try working with (modifying) some of them.
    Modern CSS is really confusing at first, but gets much easier after about 10 to 100 hours. :)

gemini181, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  4. pilotX

pilotX Peon

Best Answers:
    Get familiar with css frameworks such as blueprint css and 960 grid. - Eric Myer's books are good as well. And start reading this blog for css guidelines and tips. http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/01/19/53-css-techniques-you-couldnt-live-without/ The transition your about to face is a pain in the ass because of all the new browers that you need to consider. BUT.... on the plus side your so freakin late in the game that you pretty much bi-passed IE6 which is a bitch to overcome if your a css noob. Good luck

pilotX, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  5. RoaringBull

RoaringBull Peon

Best Answers:
    style.css is generally used when you want the same colour coding and structure is to be folllowed across the website. Style is used in the header section when you want to apply the css only to that particular page. I'd suggest use dreamweaver, create different designs, and experiment a lot. That's only sure shot way of teaching well.

RoaringBull, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  6. niravdave

niravdave Active Member

Best Answers:
    niravdave, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  7. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I will suggest you buy a book if you want to learn more details about CSS. If you want to learn the basic then you can find it online

lifeplayer, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  8. Dcity

Dcity Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't suggest books for css , it's not hard to learn just try to look for some free css templates and use w3schools.com to know how it work and use software like Macromedia Dreamweaver it will make it easier to write and attach css to your pages.

Dcity, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  9. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you've been making web pages for a while, and not using css, you've got to relearn html. No non-trivial table layout can be well structured and semantic; it can be valid, but that's not at issue.

Go to http://htmldog.com/ and work through their tutorials in order. It may seem like a step backward, but you've got a lot to unlearn. CSS depend on having semantic, well structured, and well formed (valid) html. If you try to short cut the process, you'll be frustrated. Aim toward doing it all correctly from the start.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  10. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    You really want to master CSS? Try taking some quizzes on CSS over at sitepoint. There are ten in all and I have currently just finished number 9. I am going to work on the other 9 soon (there are 10 in all). They really challenge your CSS knowledge and logical thinking process. Here are a link to all 10. (Note the guy over there who made these challenges, well, for a lack of a better word, he is a guru, and I have been doing CSS for 4 years now and he is double my knowledge.)

www. sitepoint. com/forums/showthread.php?t=594896

There are links for every other quiz in that post. Hope you find them interesting and fun.

eric.r, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  11. scubita

scubita Peon

Best Answers:
    Just start some basic codings from scratch and you'll develop skills in some weeks. Focus on basic stuff as create a basic template (wrapper/header/menu/content/footer) and put it alive without errors (w3c) and crossbrowser compatible. From then you will learn naturally and you will put more work to some serious coding.

scubita, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  12. love_virus

love_virus Active Member

Best Answers:
    love_virus, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  13. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    He wants to learn css, not have a program generate css for him ;)

~eric

eric.r, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  14. hansab

hansab Active Member

Best Answers:
    Right Eric :)

Thanks love virus but eric is right, I want to learn CSS, so only notepad can be enough for me ;)

Thanks all of your for your great replies, i will go through each and every reply and its going to help me hopefully.

More answers are expected from other experienced designers ;)

hansab, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  15. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I just noticed this post and I had to bash it down. Whats wrong with books? "The Ultimate CSS Reference" is one of the best books I have ever read. I know the two people who wrote the book on sitepoint, and they are seriously the smartest people in html and css I know. Their usernames are autisticukoo, and Paul O'B. Also no offense here, but W3schools is just 2 people who found a good domain name. Their site has outdated code, and has no link to the W3C. And dreamweaver won't help him one bit. He needs to code himself to learn. Not to rely on WYSIWYG editors. Once he is more experienced and has to work on multiple sites per day, then it would be all right I guess but notepad is the way to go at this stage of his css knowledge

~eric

eric.r, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  16. Tjobbe

Tjobbe Peon

Best Answers:
    Tjobbe, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  17. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:

Ah so thats what your having me fix for you in that one thread lol :D Thats a template..? Weird design lol. Looks like a darker version of tinyurl.

~eric

eric.r, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  18. Tjobbe

Tjobbe Peon

Best Answers:
    Like I said, I am using it as a base for future designs, the colours are there merely to show the different div's. It's not a design!

Tjobbe, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  19. hansab

hansab Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think u should have started some new topic for your template, i thought i started this topic for getting css help :p

hansab, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  20. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    Little did you know he already did.. ;) Thats why I siad

~eric

eric.r, Jan 27, 2009 IP