1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where to learn "modern" HTML?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by aab1, Sep 26, 2012.

I'm used to using only basic HTML with no style sheets or whatever they're called that cause your page to ignore all font tag specifications and things like that.

I've had my website redone and now that it uses those style sheets it's a PITA to make even basic edits as it ignores the fonts and sizes specified in my font tags and the alignment seems to be random, the first line is left aligned while the next is sort of between right aligned and centered, and it ignored my <br> tags so it's all on one line.

Where can I learn to get myself out of this mess and be able to add basic text to my website with the font, font sizes, alignments and line breaks that I want?

Thanks

aab1, Sep 26, 2012 IP
  2. gordyville

gordyville Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you might try getting rid of any CSS that your site is using. In the source, look for something like
    Remove lines like that, and any inline css that may be there as well.

Of course, the better way is to just bite the bullet and embrace CSS. Here's some help: http://www.w3schools.com/css/

gordyville, Sep 26, 2012 IP
  3. HBz

HBz Peon

Best Answers:
    The central dogma of using "modern" HTML, in my opinion, is separation of presentation and content.

This is why font tags are the devil, and should be avoided. They define how something should look, but they're located in the jumble of your HTML files. Inflexible. Hard to track down and change. You can't make widespread changes either, because changing a font tag just changes the styles of what is contained in that one font tag.

Instead, in CSS, slap a class on any range of fonts and you can change them on the fly, from a single file specifying only style/presentation, by editing a single line.

<div class='whatever'>
    <p>Blah blah blah</p> <p>Lorem ipsum</p> <p>Blah blah blah</p>
    </div>

Code (markup):

div.whatever p {
        font: ....
        color: ....
        }

Code (markup):
    It's beautiful. CSS is going to give you all the font, font sizes, and alignments that you want. But what you need to do is take away all the stuff that also tries to do the same thing, within the HTML files.

HBz, Sep 26, 2012 IP
  4. promowebeveron

promowebeveron Member

Best Answers:
    promowebeveron, Sep 27, 2012 IP
  5. ChynaRenee

ChynaRenee Peon

Best Answers:
    In my school I have a webpage design class, I also take desktop publishing. If you would like I could post thing things we learn and do in class and you can go by that. The class I take is really a college course but they have for high school students of "higher achivements".

ChynaRenee, Sep 27, 2012 IP
  6. wilsonn

wilsonn Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to learn More html tags see w3schools site there u learn more html tags.

wilsonn, Sep 27, 2012 IP
  7. arunt

arunt Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    w3schools is best for learning HTML

arunt, Sep 30, 2012 IP
  8. webeveron

webeveron Peon

Best Answers:
    w3schools.com is the best site for U.

webeveron, Oct 1, 2012 IP
  9. ericfox

ericfox Peon

Best Answers:
    Really i agree with you. w3schools.com is really good for any new trainer, and also its very usefull to learn CSS, jav script, PHP also...

ericfox, Oct 2, 2012 IP
  10. mriveran7

mriveran7 Member

Best Answers:
    You can try codecademy for interactive lessons on HTML, CSS, and even Javascript. It's a very user friendly site and great tool for learning web design and coding fast. Hope this helps

mriveran7, Oct 5, 2012 IP
  11. badolfus

badolfus Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I too agree with others, as w3school is the best to learn modern HTML. and apart from that you can Google if you are looking for any particular information.

badolfus, Oct 6, 2012 IP
  12. lolpasslol

lolpasslol Peon

Best Answers:
    w3school and codecdamy is the best place to learn it.
    But I follow w3school.

lolpasslol, Oct 7, 2012 IP
  13. jack hussey

jack hussey Peon

Best Answers:
    Modern HTML is HTML5 HTML5 will be the new standard for HTML.The previous version of HTML, HTML 4.01, came in 1999. The web has changed a lot since then.HTML5 is still a work in progress. However, the major browsers support many of the new HTML5 elements and APIs.

jack hussey, Oct 8, 2012 IP
  14. pnkelephant

pnkelephant Peon

Best Answers:
    HTML 5 just adds a set of new features to HTML. It's not a totally different thing. So your friend does not lose by learning HTML. Actually she will need it, to use the HTML 5 features in web pages.

The problem with HTML 5 and any developing standard, is browser support. Some browsers will support some features and other won't. Until the whole thing settles down, it will be some time. Also, do not forget, that there are millions of users using older browsers, without any support to any HTML 5 features.
    I found some titles that looked like good HTML5 references, but they seem to start there, assuming a prior knowledge of HTML. It would be confusing for her to read an HTML4 book, then to have to un-learn some of that when reading an HTML5 book.

pnkelephant, Oct 8, 2012 IP
  15. msherry

msherry Peon

Best Answers:
    W3school is the best source of learning the HTML, CSS, DHTML and many other programming languages.

msherry, Oct 9, 2012 IP
  16. rainat

rainat Member

Best Answers:
    rainat, Oct 12, 2012 IP
  17. Red Swordfish Media

Red Swordfish Media Peon

Best Answers:
    Check out w3schools.com/html/html5_intro.asp to see some of the new things you can do with the proposed HTML 5 standards and elements. HTML 5 includes several new elements that give the website designer more tools that he can use to provide a better product such as the integration of rich media. It dosen't replace many of the standard HTML tags to which designers have become accustomed over the years. It isn't a waste of time to learn the same HTML tags that designers have used for years now. But, just in case, google "list of depreciated html tags" to learn which tags are going out of common use.

Red Swordfish Media, Oct 12, 2012 IP
  18. creativewebmaster

creativewebmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    For the Morden website design and development require HTML5/CSS3 technique to use. Please find the perfect code using w3schools or hire web designers.

creativewebmaster, Oct 13, 2012 IP
  19. hollowmatt

hollowmatt Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    w3schools still the best for learning

hollowmatt, Oct 18, 2012 IP
  20. udores

udores Member

Best Answers:
    what i really think you should do is get rid of those font tags. Professionally(or better put - originally), font tags are supposed to be sparsely used - to mark-up special texts you want on your page and you don't need to use them everywhere and all the time. What i'll suggest you do is use span tags <span></span> to replace those font tags where you want your special text inline or use paragraph tags <p></p> where you want text on seperate lines.
    Also there's no need attaching styles to your page when you don't know which element/elements they actually affect. U can learn css on sites mentioned above they are good:)

udores, Oct 19, 2012 IP