1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where to find copywriting how-to?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by harris5998, Apr 17, 2006.

Any suggestions for sites, books that teach copywriting? Thanks!

harris5998, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  2. mohdsoft

mohdsoft Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by copywriting?

mohdsoft, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  3. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to learn how to write and read. Think about how the author constructed the sentences and developed the story. Be critical about what you wrote. Rewrite.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

If you feel that this is not working, look for a course at a community college. You will at least get some criticism of what you write. Listen to the criticism.

The average reading level of the average adult is around grade 8. So write in a tone or with words similar to that in the news stories in your local newspaper.

As a rule, use one word where five would do. Use short words. Vary sentence length. Change the starting word of your sentence as much as possible for visual appeal.

Read what you wrote out loud. If you stumble over or struggle with the sentences, then you just wrote a pile of crap.

clancey, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  4. Jenstar

Jenstar Active Member

Best Answers:
    A few books I have on my bookshelf that I use for reference. I have had these for a few years, there could be updated versions now :)

Net Words by Nick Usborne (some is outdated for SEO purposes, but the writing info is good)

For writing sales copy or persuasive type articles:
    Phrases that sell by Edward Werz
    Words that sell by Richard Bayan
    More words that sell by Richard Bayan

Then there are the assorted style books which always help (I think mine are all Canadian versions I had to buy for my writing degree ;) ) But shouldn't be hard to find American versions.... and yes, I do write for the American market and my Canadian verions work fine for that, so long as I ignore the recommended spellings for certain words :p

I know I have more copywriting books, but my office isn't exactly organized at the moment, and I have an excess collection of business related books!

Jenstar, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  5. gdann

gdann Peon

Best Answers:
    The most powerful thing that I've learnt is that the human response to the written word is predictable and formulaic if done correctly. And so when you learn what is capable of triggering that response, you are automatically infinitely more powerful than before and possess the ability to extract money from other people.

One day, I realised that I was purchasing products off the internet simply by reading some words on my computer screen. If there is an underlying system that is causing me to respond in this manner, then surely this system can be learnt and replicated for my own benefit.

The best program I've found to coach someone in the art of copywriting and effective written persuasion is Michael Masterson's Accelerated Program fox Six-Figure Copywriting. Just google it for more information, or even better, if you're lucky you might be able to grab a discounted copy from ebay.

gdann, May 4, 2006 IP
  6. Peter Hobday

Peter Hobday Peon

Best Answers:
    As a long-time copywriter I can say the most useful training I have had is in sales. Understanding the sales process is the single most important element of successful copywriting.

A sales letter is a sales person in print. That's why so many letters are so long - it usually takes a while to make a sale.

Unfortunately, most people do their own copywriting, and become disheartened when the response is poor. Because they think it's easy. But as effective copywriters are paid more than almost any other kind of writer, it's clear that the skill takes a great deal of time effort to pick up. Around 1,000 hours is the going estimate.

Most copywriting you see around is poor. Most people don't want to show their work because others will steal their ideas. I have examples on my website at http://www.subscriptionsstrategy.co.uk.

Being a great writer isn't important. Understanding what motivates people to buy is what you need to learn.

Good luck!

Peter Hobday

Peter Hobday, May 4, 2006 IP
  7. mojmiles

mojmiles Peon

Best Answers:
    This book is a gem "Web Copy That Sells"
    Maria Veloso

mojmiles, May 5, 2006 IP
  8. Charisse V

Charisse V Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for these resources.

I have visited the Subscriptions Strategy site as well.

Charisse V, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  9. ILoveWriting

ILoveWriting Guest

Best Answers:
    John Kuraoka has a great site and articles:

http://www.kuraoka.com/

Nick's site is good, too.

Any article by Maria Veloso, Michel Fortin, Dan Kennedy or Yanik Silver is excellent for learning.

I also enjoy the articles on Forde (copywriter's round table).

And of course, the classic Gary Halbert letter:
    http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/

Any book by Robert Bly is a must read as well. The guy knows his stuff.

ILoveWriting, Nov 25, 2006 IP