1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where is the line for encouraging clicks?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by crew, Aug 6, 2005.

Hi guys, been in SEO awhile but I'm new to Adsense.

I have a page that is getting mad traffic from Google images search and my bandwidth is getting killed right now. In your opinion, would it be bad news to put something on the page in a prominent place like "Thanks for checking out my site, this image is getting tons of traffic from searches right now and my bandwidth is suffering. Please help me out however you can."

I'm sure this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything on DigPoint about it. Please feel free to refer me to any posts or keyword searches that gives guidance on how Google judges this. Thanks.

crew, Aug 6, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Too risky... if you want to be on the safe lane be specific, like ask for donations or something.

Visitors should click on ads because they are interested and looking for what the ad offers, not because you need to pay for your bandwidth.

fryman, Aug 6, 2005 IP
  3. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont do it.. make the design better, request donations, affiliates and sell advertising space.

Design Agent, Aug 6, 2005 IP
  4. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont do that! very bad idea. You need to learn more, look around the forums because you dont want to take any risks getting banned

City2, Aug 6, 2005 IP
  5. av1

av1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    try offering limited information on that page so users end up seeking for more. and hope that google displays proper ads :)

av1, Aug 6, 2005 IP
  6. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do it and you'll gain in the short term, but will be losing a fortune in the long term.

When in doubt, don't!

iskandar, Aug 6, 2005 IP
  7. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    All advice so far is spot on.

If you do that, you'll lose your Adsense account and then your bandwidth will really be suffering! Try to find a host with unlimited bandwidth.

mcfox, Aug 6, 2005 IP
  8. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah there is really no line for promoting people to click your ads as pretty much everything is across the line.

Perhaps check out your site design and see if you can make it more work for people to get what they want from you. You seem to have something that is in high demand so you can make it a little more difficult to get to, allowing people more time to get your ads.

aeiouy, Aug 6, 2005 IP
  9. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Maybe anyone visiting your site(this page) isn't getting ads that interest them. Might want to focus your pages content to more interesting ads, or ads more in line with what people are searching for.

Another idea, if it doesn't work, maybe it wasn't meant to. There are other ways to get revenue, if you page views are high maybe selling ad space might be an answer. Something like adbrite or something.

To try and bring this back on topic, IMHO, getting poor results is better than getting banned. If you are serious enough about it, and really think you should be able to post a message like the one you suggested, fire off an email to G. Might as well get told no rather than get banned and money frozen. Just saying...

hth,

tom

TommyD, Aug 6, 2005 IP