1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where/ how do you search for forum moderators?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by slava75, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    About to start a forum, but short of time (as usual) to take proper care of its moderation.

How and where do you search for moderators? What terms do you offer?

Thanks.

slava75, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Best thing to do is hand pick them from your existing users.

Also, you probably are going to want to get involved with your own forum, at least in the beginning. It will be MUCH harder to start a forum and expect other people to run it for you right off the bat.

digitalpoint, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  3. vprp

vprp Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. The best way is to build a user base and then select moderators. At the beginning, I assume your forum probably won't have enough traffic to warrant a huge staff at the beginning anyway. As it grows and you get to know your users better, you can add as needed.

vprp, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  4. slava75

slava75 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you, guys, for your advice.

But what terms to offer? Some portion of adv revenue? What are the ways to make the people keep this kind of job?

slava75, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  5. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Typically a new forum is not very busy so its very difficult to keep a moderator. They tend to get board quickly if there is no interaction.

You are better off to do it yourself (A new forum may take 5-10 minutes a day)

If it does end up getting busy, its best to then pull from those that post there. They will tend to know the ins and outs better then anyone and will not expect any payment as they are logging in every day anyway.

Anyone that wants money will want more then you are willing to pay for a new forum. It is doubtful they will sign on for potential income if the subject matter doesn't interest them a great deal.

yfs1, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I try to at least skim all threads on my forums (which is getting increasingly difficult). When a new member appears and begins to post frequently, I flag that member as a potential moderator or a potential problem, depending on the posts and then spend a bit more time monitoring what they post. If the posts are good, I'll generally wait for about 50 posts or more to see if there is consistency - then approach them about moderation.

I don't offer any material rewards other than an MVP page, where they get to post URLs, and my gratitude - but then my main forum is primarily a public service sort of thing anyway - people helping people.

I think most people are happy with the "honor" or "prestige" of being a moderator, if they perceive the forum to be any good.

minstrel, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  7. sufyaaan

sufyaaan Banned

Best Answers:
    So I have been flagged as a potential problem or? :D

sufyaaan, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  8. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    I'm sure it varies based on the type of forum. I have 3 forums now and they all target males (16-30 yr old) for games and entertainment.

It blows my mind how many people want to be an admin. I get PM's constantly asking how they can become an admin and I even have members offering to pay me (no joke) so they can become an admin. I'm sure that's just a strange anomaly given the demographic and content on my forums.

Regardless of the type of site, I wouldn't expect to be paying an admin. The admins should come from your most active, most respected, and most mature and responsibile members.

Nitin M, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  9. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Oh yeah... I forget about that. I get 2-3 PMs a day with people asking to be a moderator here. :)

Also, you don't need to "pay" them, but certainly you should not take a good moderator for granted (a truly good mod is almost impossible to find). So when you can afford it, keep them happy (buy them a laptop, an iPod or something else) every once in awhile.

digitalpoint, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  10. Bryan

Bryan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can I be a mod? j/k

It's funny how many people ask, and then a week later they no longer post anymore.

It's better to wait and see who actually sticks around and posts, then choose from those people. I don't think you have to compensate them that much since there's not that much work involved in modding...just making sure there's no spam and the topics don't go out of hand.

A nice monetary reward of some sort is good once you can afford it.

Bryan, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  11. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I got drunk once when Indecent Proposal was on TV and PM'd Shawn to ask if he would accept 1 million yen to Mod this forum for just one night.

He never replied :(

yfs1, Dec 1, 2005 IP
    Bryan likes this.
  12. gamblinglord

gamblinglord Peon

Best Answers:
    well most of the time moderators are individuals who are passionate about the topic. you will be able to identify them by reading their posts and you will be able to identify them that they have time if you see them often you website, when you ask them they will be honored to become your volunteer moderators.

gamblinglord, Dec 27, 2010 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.