1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where have all the links gone?

Discussion in 'Websites' started by nfzgrld, Jan 1, 2005.

Google updated last night so I went in and started taking a look at stuff. I found something interesting and I hope someone here can shed some light on it. If I do a link:mari-len.com I get nothing. If I hit the "similar pages" link I also get nothing, but if I hit the "contain the term" link I get well over 100 pages back a lot of which have my stie linked. So why aren't those links showing up? I'm assuming it has something to do with processing. Maybe the bot first goes and updates the cache, then works out all the links and stuff. Is that it?

Nick

nfzgrld, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  2. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wait till the update is over and things are stable.

Dominic, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  3. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    That makes sense. Actually, something else interesting happened as well. Just a few minutes ago I checked it and found that now there is one site that is listed as linked to me. As it turns out this site is no longer acutally linked to me as I took their link down after I realized there were some problems. I guess it's just a matter of patience. It's not like there are 100's of sites linked to me at this point. There are several, but not enough to make that little PR meter in the corner get passed 0.

Nick

nfzgrld, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  4. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Nicholas did you try link:www.mydomain.com rather than link:mydomain.com there is a difference sometimes if you don't include the www. Also, you'll be surprised how quickly you can improve your PR (not that it matters anymore IMO) Concentrate more on your rankings rather than the little green bar, otherwise it'll just distract you - it shouldn't matter what the PR is providing your listed well in Google.

Have a look at this tool sometime if you really would like to know your PR
    http://www.seochat.com/seo-tools/future-pagerank

Darren

DarrenC, Jan 1, 2005 IP
  5. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, what's the difference? If I'm listed well in google, wouldn't that tend to indicate a good page rank? If not, then what am I missing? And what defines "listed well"? Actually, none of that matters to me, I don't care about google except as a means to an end. I've gotten all kinds of advice from a lot of supposedly knowledgeable people, some of whom got paid for it, and I have tried to follow that advice as much as possible. Still, the one thing I am trying to do doesn't seem to get done. I need traffic. Right now I'm still pulling less, yes LESS than 100 uniques a day. The only thing I've tried so far that has worked is adwords, but I can't afford to sustain that right now. So what do I do? I know it takes time.

nfzgrld, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  6. jeff123

jeff123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Adwords is probably the cheapest and quickest way of getting traffic. The other way, of course, is to have such a compelling site that people just have to spread the word around.

From my understanding, what you want to focus on is to get a good SERP. That is, when a user does a search relevant to your site, your site listing should come up near the top. For most sites, there'd be a pretty long list of search terms that the webmaster would want the site to show up. Analyze which search terms have high search traffic and low competition and then target those search terms. You do that by getting links from other sites (as well as within your site) with the search term as the link text.

jeff123, Jan 5, 2005 IP
  7. arundirect

arundirect Banned

Best Answers:
    Some websites work only when you specify www as prefix. I guess its got to do with the company you register your domain with..

Arun
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    High Paying AdSense Keywords - For a huge Discount of 40% this New year. Valid till 20th January 2005

arundirect, Jan 5, 2005 IP
  8. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't afford adwords right now. My number one search phrase is "Online Shopping." I'm sure I don't have to tell you what the competition for that is like. In adwords I need to spend at least $1000 a day just to get on the top 3 or 4 pages with any kind of consistancy. That's not going to fly right now. As far as the serps goes my keywords are saturated. I'm competing with overstock.com which has over 7000 BLs and pr7. I have a lot of work to do! The thing is, everyone else in the market can be overcome. The way I hope this works out, by the time I'm ready to go head to head with overstock.com, in fact long before that uneventuallity happens, I'll be competing with Neiman Marcus anyway, and won't care about overstock.com.

The www thing is a DNS issue. If your service provider didn't set you up both ways, domain.com and www.domain.com, then you should probably look for a new provider. If they know that little about DNS, what else don't they know? Some providers do it for some idiotic reason or other. I still haven't heard anyone come up with a real reason for it, excpet "I don't want to" and that ain't cutting it in my book.

nfzgrld, Jan 5, 2005 IP