1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where Does This Traffic Come From?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by markon, Apr 17, 2008.

I have noticed that on a daily basis I will get a hit or two from diferent websites I am totally unfamiliar with. I will then look at the site and see no link there to mine.

Thus, how does it happen that I show a hit or two from these unfamiliar websites?

markon, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  2. Syndicated Content

Syndicated Content Banned

Best Answers:
    They might be hijacking your site's content or keywords.

Perform a google search using your domain and those you are unfamiliar with to find some answers and if you have access to your site's logs check carefully the targeted URL as they might also be hackers trying to find a security hole or email crawlers trying to steal information from your customers or visitors if any is stored on the server.

Syndicated Content, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  3. advoor

advoor Peon

Best Answers:
    They could be using a script to mock your site to think its got a refferal from their site when it hasn't, meaning a typical webmaster would be curiouse and actually visit that site to see where it's coming from - its a marketing method. Could be easily done using a addon for firefox.

advoor, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  4. amanamission

amanamission Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think in most cases it's something less ominous-referrer spam. This is a technique which causes your website to be visited by the spammer's site. It will therefore show up in your stats as a referral...and when the curious webmaster goes to find their link, it gives them a hit with a high likelihood of Alexa ranking, since most webmasters have the toolbar. This way, they have real-looking traffic.
    I think this is just a technique to enhance Alexa, they get everyone.

amanamission, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  5. markon

markon Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow! This shows what little I know and how so much cheating goes on.

markon, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  6. shahab6

shahab6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its called referrer spam, a program does that, which I'm not going to mention.

shahab6, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  7. Sygon

Sygon Peon

Best Answers:
    I was totally oblivious to this until now, For the past 4 years this has been happening to me, god, lucky i dont have the crappy toolbar

Sygon, Apr 17, 2008 IP