1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where do you market/advertise a new social media site?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by JEET, Jun 29, 2021.

Where do you advertise a new social media site?

I am not sure if fb or twitter would allow to advertise a social media site which cuts into their own market share.
    So where do you advertise such a site?

I don't think google ads would be profitable in this case.
    The site will be free, and advertising expenses on google ads will kill the startup.
    Also, it will be difficult to find keywords to target.
    Its not like people do a google search for "facebook" or "twitter"...

The site is different in many senses from fb and twitter etc.
    For one thing, its not as complicated as those top sites are.
    Second, does not forces my choice/algo on users.
    Here's the site.
    https://resay.in/

My aim is to get at least a million subscribers by the end of this financial year, for as little advertising cost as possible, even if they all come from one single country only.
    Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Thanks

JEET, Jun 29, 2021 IP
  2. NicoleW

NicoleW Member

Best Answers:
    You can use forums, telegram channels, promote it in Instagram, ask a couple of influencers to promote it

NicoleW, Jun 29, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  3. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @NicoleW
    Thanks or these suggestions. How much do influencers charge for something like this?

JEET, Jun 29, 2021 IP
  4. seomanualsubmission

seomanualsubmission Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

There are some errors as i am seeing at profile page of a user at your site .... https://resay.in/profile/newsMNC.

You should add also share options with each post because in social media people prefer generally to share information according to his choice.

According to me ..... Social media like facebook, linkedin will help you more to drive traffics.

seomanualsubmission, Jun 29, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Of course, you want to test as many different approaches as possible. One approach should be Public Relations. You are trying to develop a social media network outside of the mainstream networks, much like many of the new sites in the U.S. (e.g., Parler, Gab, MeWe, etc.) They gained a ton of new members when they capitalized on the blatant censorship of FB, Twitter, etc. When their unprecedented censorship became clear, the alternative sites went on a massive PR campaign with a wide range of news outlets (TV, radio, print, etc.) and were overwhelmed with subscribers.

Why don't you take a page from this playbook and compile a brief list of the most egregious censorship/bias evidence from the sites you are trying to replace? Tell a compelling story as to why your site will fix this problem. Pitch the story to news outlets (all of them, including the major ones and the lesser ones), some of whom will also dislike the current social media options and will carry your story. BTW, by "pitch", I do not mean send them a press release; rather, you should call them with a polished pitch (different from a PR) and sell them personally on your story.

If you would like help with this, PM me and we can work out the storyline, etc.

jrbiz, Jun 30, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  6. NicoleW

NicoleW Member

Best Answers:
    Any influencer that you know in Instagram, as you don't need any specific audience, just people that are interested in your platform

NicoleW, Jun 30, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  7. usaukclassifieds

usaukclassifieds Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you're searching for an Instagram influencer, then shoutcart is the perfect option for your situation.

usaukclassifieds, Jun 30, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  8. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @seomanualsubmission
    Thanks for letting me know about the error. Fixed it.
    The social sharing options are available when you open full story. The page you were seeing was a preview page, like short posts you see in fb newsfeed.

@jrbiz
    I have also thought about this, and I even contacted some news outlets regarding this. They asked me big money to cover the story, so I have dropped the idea of going with news outlets for now...
    But I do understand that it will be very difficult without getting some news coverage initially. I'll need to do something about this...

JEET, Jun 30, 2021 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Legitimate news outlets do not charge fees to place your news. Note that you must be offering "news" that would be interesting to their subscribers and "news" is not that you just launched a new social media site. There must be an angle to it and some sizzle (and, again, you must be targeting legitimate news organizations.)

jrbiz, Jun 30, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  10. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @jrbiz
    I understand your point. Let me try approaching them again. You are right, I approached them as "launching a site", and not as something news worthy...

JEET, Jun 30, 2021 IP
  11. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Two things about your registration page.

1) You should have a second password box so new registrants have to type their password twice. Will eliminate most password typos.

2) A lot of people, including me, do not like giving out personally identifiable information like phone numbers. What happens is that people will not sign up, or if they do give a phone number you will need to check every one of them for validity.

mmerlinn, Jun 30, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  12. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @mmerlinn
    Thanks for the input. I will make the changes. Sarahk also pointed out the phone number issue earlier on a different site.

JEET, Jul 1, 2021 IP
  13. 9xlinux

9xlinux Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @JEET First Please update your site to some more beautiful theme. Your site is looking like 90's site. 2nd, The instragram advertising is highly recommended.

9xlinux, Jul 2, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  14. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    You want her to paint the walls before she builds the house? Does not seem logical to me.

mmerlinn, Jul 2, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  15. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @9xlinux
    Everyone keeps telling me that all my sites look like oldtimers.
    And I never understood why that is so...
    Could you please tell me what specific changes I need to do to make it look more modern?
    Thanks

JEET, Jul 3, 2021 IP
  16. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Don't worry about the OPINIONS of people who do NOT USE YOUR SITE. The ONLY thing that matters is the VISITOR. Your visitors DO NOT CARE WHAT YOUR SITE LOOKS LIKE, they ONLY care about WHAT IT DOES FOR THEM.

I get the same OPINIONS about my site. My visitors care about ONLY ONE thing, FINDING parts to fix their vehicles. In the 14 years my site has been live, ONLY ONE customer (a web "developer") has put forth the OPINION that I should "modernize" my site, whatever that means, and MANY HUNDREDS of customers have PRAISED my site for helping them fix their cars.

mmerlinn, Jul 3, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  17. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Homepage looks very overwhelming, and I don't think it's as "simple" as you claim it is. For one, it looks very outdated. Two, it looks like a bunch of random news has just been re-posted on your site. Three, there are so many good news sources that do the same thing (Flipboard - which is also a social network). So what exactly is the point of signing up?

I say this stuff with good intentions as I hope you can improve this project and make it a success. Please improve the design, update the logo, and make it more user-friendly. I will sign up though!

cronik, Jul 3, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  18. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, and to promote it... use forums, use instagram, use other social networks (it will be okay I'm sure) and advertise with Google and Bing. Advertise on Reddit, yes, pay for reddit ads, you'll be shocked by the amount of traffic you get.

But seriously, update the site first as most people will close it as soon as they see it. I sincerely don't mean to sound rude when I say this.

cronik, Jul 3, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  19. 9xlinux

9xlinux Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Logo is not looking good.
    No sidebar.
    No latest post links
    No images

9xlinux, Jul 3, 2021 IP
    JEET and cronik like this.
  20. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @cronik
    Thanks for the input, I understand that you are trying to help.
    I have made some changes, hope this looks somewhat better.

@9xlinux
    Thanks for the input. I did changed the logo and some other small changes in the theme.
    There are few images on the site right now because members will be uploading their own images and videos.
    I too will make some posts with images or videos tonight.

@mmerlinn
    I totally understand your point, and also agree with it.
    One of my own site is like that. Good content, bad design, but people do not mind the design part that much.
    They send me email about the good content with thanks and story about how the site helped them.
    Feels so good!

But with this site, I am trying to enter into the niche of twitter at the very least, if not facebook.
    I have tried to make the site look somewhat like fb app, the one they discontinued recently, and replaced it with a very complex app.

I hate that new fb app so much. Cannot stand it.
    I even stopped using fb for a month, until I found a version of the older app again.

On phone, the site looks somewhat like that older simpler app of fb with some changes, like I am using rounded buttons for main menu options, instead of using a blue line with white links...
    That feel and experience is what I am trying to catch here.

JEET, Jul 4, 2021 IP
    cronik and mmerlinn like this.