1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where do you advertise your directory?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Punct, May 19, 2008.

Where do you advertise your directories?
    Only here on DP or they are other sites/forums/directories that promotes your directory for free ?

Punct, May 19, 2008 IP
  2. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are many other forums and even on the whole they are only one small part of promoting.

When it comes to places to promote your site you are only limited by your imagination. A couple online examples would be other related sites like directories and blogs.

You can also do traditional print.

Basically it is getting your site in places where people who may be interested frequent and presented in a manner they find value with.

swedal, May 19, 2008 IP
  3. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    it is a business secret, you know?
    hopefully this answer can help you to figure out running a web directory is not easy and never no quick bucks.

WallaceYeung, May 19, 2008 IP
  4. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    Marketing to users is tough for general web directories, but niche directories is a bit easier. Since most of my websites are niche directories I try to let other webmasters in the niche know about my site. I've gathered quite a few reciprocal links from other sites because they find the directory a valuable resource.

On the webmaster side I try to get listed in as many directory lists as possible. That gives me more exposure to potential paid listings.

freelistfool, May 19, 2008 IP
  5. fear

fear Banned

Best Answers:
    Dp, Directorycritic, V7n, iguides.org/forums, and many others :D

fear, May 19, 2008 IP
  6. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is one of the worst questions a directory owner can ask.

I red flags you know nothing on the subject yet have undertaken to run a directory, one can only ask the thought patterns going through some ones head ( or perhaps its the ease that people can start a directory and the free templates , base apps that have started this )

I can just picture the miltary giving awayfree armed tanks, along come jo blog, this looks like fun , gets in starts it up then asks how do i drive it now im rolling and what does this button do.

OP the role of a directory in its purest sense is to promote the sites that are in it, so if your asking how do i promote a directory then that begs the question as to why any one would bother listing in it.

I wish you well moving forward, but out with the home work books. Reading every ( related ) thread on the directory forum will start to fill the blanks then allow for better questions if needed.

DownUnder, May 19, 2008 IP
  7. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    on forums through signature links and also on websites like www.web-directories.ws

Freewebspace, May 19, 2008 IP
  8. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm always looking for directories to add to my list. Check the free directory list link in my sig for more info about announcements.

snowbird, May 19, 2008 IP
  9. Punct

Punct Active Member

Best Answers:
    Who told you i have a directory ?
    It was just a simple question so others can contribute to a list. I am starting to make some nice resources site for directories owners and i need this kind of informations. I have aslo created the list with phpld designers, active ones, and now i want to make this list.

Stop telling me bad answers here i dont want to read them. If you know a site where I CAN ADVERTISE MY DIRECTORY post, if not, skip to the next subject.

Thanks every one else for your posts, and i am still waiting for others to contribute... start sharing people, dont keep'it only for you.

Punct, May 19, 2008 IP
    balkanboy likes this.
  10. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    keep your cool son, pehaps if you explained your intent it may have been better, you have a good leader for your post anyway.

DownUnder, May 19, 2008 IP
  11. indyguidedotinfo

indyguidedotinfo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    the mens room stall at a truck stop somewhere in Kentucky

indyguidedotinfo, May 19, 2008 IP
  12. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Free Web Directory Lists
    Webmaster/SEO/Directory Forums

That is a good place to start. Perhaps Amit can show us the resources he gathered on his blog - lists of these two types of sites.

mikey1090, May 19, 2008 IP
  13. Himalayan

Himalayan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think forums are the best place for advertising directories because here we get huge traffic for publicity.

Himalayan, May 20, 2008 IP
  14. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In directory lists, i got a banner out there in a few places.

pipes, May 20, 2008 IP
  15. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Webmaster forums are the best along with authoritive directories. ;)

maldives, May 20, 2008 IP
  16. hhheng

hhheng Banned

Best Answers:
    Add your directory to the directory lists will bring you a lot of traffic, even more than you can expect. Directorycritic, addurl.nu are highly recommended.

hhheng, May 20, 2008 IP
  17. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Who told you that - because it's plain wrong, and I fear for you because you are listening to and following very bad advice. Be careful not to become one of the QBC or worst a nobody in this very competitive publishing industry.

This is the trouble with forums, in that they are 'open' and invite so much bad advice, you have to be careful what you read, or it can send you down the wrong path.

Never has a truer word been spoken, and the Quick buck crew will pay dearly
    for that mistake. Oh yeah, they will probably makes some cash, but it will be nothing compared to what they could be making if they had a decent idea.

Running a general directory won't make anybody rich - I guarantee that, and can only hope many heed this advice which frequents the webs forums and blogs. Here's hoping anyway. :)

Promoting a directory on the web, forums, blogs etc is the wrong stage to begin at - it's actually the last place you do it. If the directory idea fails, which it more than likely will, then you have wasted much time haven't you.

Firstly, try getting your general directories into the press, and when a Journalist refuses, they are telling you it will not get any major exposure - for they will see to it that it doesn't run in their publication. My advice is listen to them, as directories aren't newsworthy, then once that happens perhaps
    it will sink in that this isn't the best way of starting a business.

Let me tell you something, when a directory makes it into the press, it's a very rare thing, and the site probably covers something highly popular, or very interesting. General directories are old news, dead as a dodo, uninteresting, done to death, used, taken advantage of, low traffic drivers etc - so why bother wasting time on something that is pretty much hated by many advertisers. It might be a big industry, but the media don't care about that, newspaper Journos are experts in publishing, a newspaper is a publisher, and they know what's newsworthy and what's not.

They are paid to come up with good stories for the papers that pay them (Contract of Service agreement), thus won't publish any old crap, because any old crap won't sell newspapers or at least look good.

Nothing wrong with still running directories ofcourse, just that they lost their effectiveness years ago, and now searchers/advertisers seek infomation portals instead.

Event_King, May 20, 2008 IP
  18. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Ironically enough, weren't you a member of the C4 QBC?:eek:

Spider-Man, May 20, 2008 IP
  19. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    What is C4 quick buck crew?

Event_King, May 20, 2008 IP
  20. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    You were Channel 4's next big thing, weren't you, Liam?

Spider-Man, May 20, 2008 IP