1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where do I start 2 get handle on spam/virus

Discussion in 'Security' started by rhendrix9@hotmail.com, Jan 8, 2008.

We have a small business (5 stores) with 1-3 pc's per store.
    We have a hosted website with email through the host.
    We are inundated with spam and virus threats.
    I'm just about ready to stop using email (I wish).

I' not even sure where I need to start to get this under control.

Does moving email to google apps sound like a first solution?
    Are the other dedicated email hosting solutions?
    Is there a sample of an employee guide/rules for safe employee email practices?

Anyone have an ides for a good starting place?

Thanks

rhendrix9@hotmail.com, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  2. Pwner

Pwner Peon

Best Answers:
    Google apps will stop most spam for sure, you only need to install a good spamfilter as spamassasin, or when downloading the emails in the pc use thunderbird, it has a good spam filter.

Pwner, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  3. Ladadadada

Ladadadada Peon

Best Answers:
    This is an oldie but a goodie: http://www.acme.com/mail_filtering/

Of course, it's really only good if you are in complete control of your MTA. If I didn't have that control, my first strategy would be to ask my host to implement spam filtering. If they couldn't, or if they weren't filtering enough of the spam, I'd forward all email to Gmail and then have Gmail forward it back to your hosted email again. Gmail have a 99.9% success rate so far in my two accounts over about four years. The downside to this is that if you have any sensitive emails, Gmail will now have a copy. If someone compromised your Gmail account, your sensitive emails would be compromised along with it. This happened to a company recently where an employee did the Gmail forwarding on his own and used the same password for Gmail as many other sites, one of which belonged to the attackers. After the attackers got that password, they tried it on his Gmail account and the rest is history.

You can also filter spam at the client level. It's pretty late in the process but if your goal is to save your human resources then it's still early enough. Experiment with spam filtering addons to your mail client. Most of them learn as you classify spam and ham so they should get better as you use them. If you get a lot of email (both types), a week or two should be enough for a good Bayesian spam filter to reach 90% accuracy.

Ladadadada, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  4. boltok

boltok Active Member

Best Answers:
    I recently wrote about how I managed to completely get rid of spam. You can read my article spam firewall and filtering techniques to get some ideas.

Filtering has gotten so good these days that you shouldn't need to worry about spam. PM me if you need more details.

boltok, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  5. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes use Gmail if possible. Filtering through them has reduced my spam by 95%. Plus the gmail accounts can hold TONS of mail and are now imap compatible.

RectangleMan, Jan 16, 2008 IP