1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where did you learn PHP?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by meamrussian, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Psychotomus

Psychotomus Guest

Best Answers:
    self taught. i was coding in VB3 on aol. Moved on from there. Grabbed a php book. read enough to know the basics. Found php.net then all was good from there.

Psychotomus, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  2. meikeric

meikeric Peon

Best Answers:
    Self taught. I hacked at a Perl auction script (back when eBay was starting to get big (circa 98/99). I think the people still distribute it EveryAuction? I think was the name. Then I starting mucking in PHP 'cause it was much more logical. Then I went to college and took 2 C++ courses. Then I changed majors to Business and started doing heavier PHP. And now I learn by breaking. IE, I break my Joomla core when I want something. Then I hack til I get it. USUALLY with good results (not always). That's also how I learned routing and email/dns/database/radius administration. Cause where I use to work. If you broke it, you fixed it.

PHP.net is GREAT for function lookups, once you figure out what they mean by someFunction( some value, [ something else, another ]) FYI, The [] mean it's an optional input.

There's some good forums, and some good books out there.

But find some open source scripts that interest you. Upload them to your server, and start hacking away.

Mike

meikeric, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  3. commandos

commandos Notable Member

Best Answers:
    from university ... the difference in university is that you have access to a teacher and a teacher assistant, debugging will go faster .

they dident teach me advanced stuff all what they do is show you the road :)

wow i just saw that i can't post there :) so red reputation do have bad effects :)

commandos, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  4. FireStorM

FireStorM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I need a good forum , related with PHP, so that i can ask for help on "PHP issues" .. can anyone help me ?

FireStorM, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  5. free-zombie

free-zombie Peon

Best Answers:
    I got the start-off from a friend (well, kinda) and got the rest of php.net ...

free-zombie, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  6. meikeric

meikeric Peon

Best Answers:
    Your in it. :) DP Forums -> PHP.

Most of the people the peruse DP-PHP are either really good programmers, or really great programmers. Theirs a ton of other PHP forums out their. Most suck though with a much of newbs asking "How do I display ** here". And no logical replies. DP is largely professionals.

meikeric, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  7. dturnbull

dturnbull Guest

Best Answers:
    i'll probly buy PHP & MySQL for Dummies to learn how to. i've tried learnin online, but seeing as i like to read, reading a full book would be easier for me....though i suck at all aspects of programmin so i probly got no chance it learning it :(

dturnbull, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  8. intoex

intoex Peon

Best Answers:
    I learned from manuals and tutorial, also had some fundamental news on common web-application development. PHP is easy, maybe because I knew Delphi, C/C++, Java, Perl and aslo assembler before. The main have been taken from projects
    Now I studing different technologies, using Smarty in my work.
    BTW, maybe somebody need professional programmer? Have time for new projects.

intoex, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  9. tangtang

tangtang Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe I learned PHP originally from the nice tutorials at web monkey.

tangtang, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  10. VONRAT

VONRAT Banned

Best Answers:
    i started learning by searching "php codes tutorials" but i learned most from php.net :D

VONRAT, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  11. ThomasNederman

ThomasNederman Peon

Best Answers:
    . Think i learnt it from a E-book i downloaded, then found php.net after a few days.

ThomasNederman, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  12. gigapromoters

gigapromoters Peon

Best Answers:
    I learned it myself after doing C++... PHP.net was a great help....

gigapromoters, Sep 30, 2006 IP
  13. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    It is always better to learn by self... start from some small tutorial online.. then read things and write and experiment with codes. when you have catched up with the basics.. then get some free small guestbook etc.. script and study and try making your own and so on.... and then move on to studying larger scripts.

And then start applying your gained knowledge to do things. once you do this you experince level and expertise will go on incresing.

Courses will provide you with meterial to learn all those stuff but by taking a course it does not guarentee that you will be able to apply your programming knowldge in solving practical problems.

aditya_sfs, Sep 30, 2006 IP
  14. TOM1

TOM1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Browsing through tutorials on internet and of course www.php.net ;)

TOM1, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  15. hotspire

hotspire Active Member

Best Answers:
    There have some basic PHP tutorials writen by my partners in developer zone .

hotspire, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  16. jezza chan

jezza chan Active Member

Best Answers:
    The overwhelming boredem just got to me, so i decided to learn it using all sorts of tutorials and resources.

jezza chan, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  17. angelfire

angelfire Peon

Best Answers:
    a friend introduced PHP and gave me tons of tutorials about PHP.
    Thanks to him. And Im still learning PHP.

angelfire, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  18. business opportunities

business opportunities Active Member

Best Answers:
    Learned mostly myself... having been in computer science at university gave me enough information to figure it out... really once you learn one programming language, they are all basically the same. I guess except for the odd reference to books or a website, I was just able to wing it.

business opportunities, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  19. Xth Cannon

Xth Cannon Banned

Best Answers:
    I learned by myself. I looked at existing scripts to get an understanding, then set out and experimented, looked at documentations on the php.net website and once you get quite a good understanding it all comes easily.

Xth Cannon, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  20. zilch2k

zilch2k Active Member

Best Answers:
    I learned php by myself. I started reading tutorials and created simple scripts, then used php.net and asked friends that already knew php for help.

You can learn the basics of php at w3schools.com and freewebmasterhelp.com, then use php.net.

zilch2k, Oct 2, 2006 IP