1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where did my backlinks go?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by indyguidedotinfo, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    'text to screen' better? # 1 there too for a client. ;)

As for your keyword term I would tend to doubt its very competitive, especially given the propping up of the term using sitewides... which others much more knowledgeable about SEO than myself, such as Danny Sullivan Rand Fishkin, have found useless.... however if it works for you then that is all that matters right?

In my experience, for the 1000s of keywords my partners, clients, and myself rank at the top on Google for, I never found a benefit from sitewide links, never bothered using the approach, and find natural oneway backlinks are the ones with the best quality and fastest turn around time to achieving high rankings.

If people here wish to misinform others that is their prerogative... and mine to argue otherwise.

:D

Sem-Advance, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  2. DIY

DIY Peon

Best Answers:
    Mine has gone from over 30,000 to 2,000 :confused:

If I loose 1880 more links from Yahoo, it will be the same as what I have in google!

DIY, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  3. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    How did you build links?

4. DIY

DIY Peon

Best Answers:
    some of them are directory links, but many of them are natural links that have been posted in other forums etc.

I also use gotlinks.com , although I do not swap many links on there now!

The amount of indexed pages has increased though, both in Yahoo and Google :confused:

Yahoo is now showing 17,000 indexed pages and google 10,000.

I have had 80 links according to Google for months, but when I log into webmaster tools it says 3,000

Perhaps checking links this way is not such a good way?

DIY, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  5. jabb

jabb Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont rate text to screen either, only 32,000 with quotes and a non existent overture...
    And yes the keyword im talking about is competitive, over 1 million results WITH quotes and an overture near 400,000 but your the seo expert.

jabb, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  6. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    actually the marketing expert and even though you use overture for keyword research I am not going to make fun of you.

I assure you the # 1 position for text to screen makes the owner very very happy. :D

Do you know the keyword terms with the quotes around it only indicates the words used together in any document??

Did you know this also indicates how easy it is to get to the front page?

However it is not an indication of competition within the targeted niche it may focus on.

7. DonMecca

DonMecca Peon

Best Answers:
    I've noticed this on some of my websites too around a week ago. This is very strange. For some of my websites they are still showing the original link counts aswell but they have all been built through the same methods so I don't see why its happening to some and not to others.

DonMecca, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  8. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Hmmm depends if it were Google then the directories involved, may be why your links fell out... but I did not think Yahoo was on board the same train as Google

I will admit I have not seen much from Yahoo as far as their position on links.

I would say to get away from gotlinks as quick as possible...if Google human sees that slogan its likely all sites related will see a loss.

Peace!

9. jabb

jabb Peon

Best Answers:
    No need to make fun of me, I can compare overture results to actual results since i have ranking for terms that actually send traffic. Whilst overture isnt very accurate it is a fair marker, if a keyword had a 100 overture its fair to assume it doesnt send much traffic, but ofcourse the few it does send could be worth more than a larger keyword.
    And quotes do indicate some kind of competition.

jabb, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  10. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    And now you proved my point about both keywords.

Lastly for my own websites....I would never give away the real money keywords......

Just like you have not..........;)

11. twalters84

twalters84 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey there,

Those site wide links are definately worth more than a single backlink ;)

Sincerely,
    Travis Walters

twalters84, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  12. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    only if you are targeting say holland michigan real estate

but if you try to target

Holland Michigan

or

real estate

You will soon see you are wrong ;)

Its also why your sitting at 5 and not higher, get a few 'quality' anchor text links relevant to your site and you'll get to the top soon enough.

twalters84 and floppydrivez like this.
  13. floppydrivez

floppydrivez Peon

Best Answers:
    Finally a quality post on DP. Rep Added.

http://www.lobolinks.com/blog/2007/10/09/yahoo-site-explorer-measuring-quality-instead-of-quantity/

The only bonus about long term sitewide links is that they add to overall count and over time the linking site could grow in authority <--if you will. They are not worth paying any kind of special price for though.

floppydrivez, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  14. twalters84

twalters84 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey there,

Thanks for the advise Sem-Advance.

I am not wrong though ;)

If I targeted real estate, I probably be page 1001 instead of 1 heh..

However...

site wide links = more back links
    more back links = higher rankings
    site wide links = higher rankings

Wow, I can do algebra :D

Sincerely,
    Travis Walters

twalters84, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  15. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Hi

You admit that if you targeted 'real estate' you would be page 1001 and yet still claim you are correct???

I am actually taking on the real estate terms and am moving up to the top pages as we speak after just two months for terms like real estate investments

condo investments I am at # 6 :D coming on strong

As for your ability to do alegebra that is simply wonderful, so proud of you, and to think my daughter in 8th grade is receiving A's in her marks on the subject.

Did you think perhaps Googles Engineering team has someone who works there and knows algebraic equations??? Why I wonder if any understand calculus?? It's in the patent in how they combat such tactics and yet you are here to say that how Googles scores documents is wrong, and you are right?

Now heres the issue....without proof from Google that it works.. you are really just arguing for sake of argument.

If sitewide links worked, you could rank at the top of Google for ANY keyword term one chooses to target.

Being as you cannot....then your theory or postulations otherwise, are without merit.

Again congratulations on your success targeting a very long tail keyword term, that anyone can rank for by simply including it in your title tag, an h1 tag and hyperlink in your content, and 1 good inbound link using the anchor text.

But you can continue too think its sitewide links.....:eek:

Sem-Advance, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  16. Mark07

Mark07 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is happening with most of the sites. Google is showing a major cut down in its links count. They must be probably revising their algorithm on backlinks as they are quite keen on detecting all the links which are paid ones.

Mark07, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  17. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Site wides have been known to give ranking for non-competitive terms. But then limiting those links to single links would have also bumped the ranking anyway... me talking about a particular instance of WP theme sponsoring.. only once though... and I stopped after Matt ( the WP one) screamed about the ethic thereof. the word still still sends over 800-1000 surfers each day. Shouldn't stop though, since that sponsor isn't the only link. Hoping it won't harm me :)

Good to see you here Clint..

Blogspotter, Oct 10, 2007 IP