1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where can one find practical business mentors

Discussion in 'General Business' started by fileultra, Mar 1, 2015.

By Practical I mean people who have experience or knowledge of a specific business process and know how much profit margin can be achieved by it.
    I have been wondering where can one find business mentors who don't just dispense empty knowledge but actually can help one kickstart a small business, for example of importing gems from China and sell online. This means they know exactly which variety to search for, which sources to contact, how much to pay and finally how and where to sell it for how much. In other words they are practically knowledgeable and won't mind getting paid for translating the knowledge.
    This is somewhat similar to a business plan except that I want to find a consultant who has specific knowledge and can help me guide to setup a small online business.
    Any idea where can one find such mentors/consultants?

fileultra, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You are looking for a needle in a haystack, of course. However, here in the U.S., there is an organization called SCoRE (Service Corps of Retired Executives) which is an organization that pairs relevant mentors with small, start-up businesses for free advice and mentoring. Now, the odds of the specific expert that you are seeking being available at SCoRE are probably not very high, buy you never know. If you are not in the U.S., there may be a similar organization in your area and it might be a reasonable place to start because these folks are retired and looking to share their knowledge for free to help start-ups.

It is not likely that a business person who is currently successful in the industry you are interested in would share such knowledge and tips to simply help to launch a new competitor. Consultants, who claim to have the knowledge/skills to help you for a fee, need to first explain why they are not simply running a business in the industry, themselves, if they have all of the practical answers and know the keys to success.

jrbiz, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  3. fionix

fionix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You think someone will provide you with this knowledge for free or for a partnership in an venture that he proparly could do himself? You're doing this the wrong way. You need to find a good idea and convert it into a business then you can find some sort of "mentor" to help you.

fionix, Mar 2, 2015 IP
  4. iNET SEO

iNET SEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    iNET SEO, Mar 2, 2015 IP
  5. Curtis Dawson

Curtis Dawson Active Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, why would you want a mentor when they are just going to tell you the same thing that is already free on the internet? You are going to pay a mentor to point you in the right direction but that direction can be found in blog posts all over the internet for free.

Curtis Dawson, Mar 2, 2015 IP
  6. Bout Warrior

Bout Warrior Member

Best Answers:
    A mentor is a wonderful way to learn. Looking and reading info on the internet doesn't trump the value of a human being that has been there and done that and is willing to show you the ropes. It's the very essence of martial arts. Would you be confident learning from a blog about how to fight or a real life teacher?

It happens I use to sell diamonds on the internet via one of my sites. If you have connections to import them, I can help with the sales and distribution. PM me if you're interested.

Bout Warrior, Mar 2, 2015 IP