1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

When will travel industry get back to normal?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bartino11, Nov 18, 2020.

1. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The tsunami reportedly reached the West Coast, but I can't verify that since I am at an elevation of 250 feet a hundred miles upriver from the Pacific.

A local freeway bridge is so high above the river (144 foot clearance) that most of the state of Florida (except for Britton Hill (345'), Mount Trashmore (225'), and most of the Northern Florida border areas) could float under the bridge.

mmerlinn, Jan 16, 2022 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    No, thank goodness but people who knew this stuff were able to actually hear it about an hour later and it was picked up on weather stations in the UK.

I love this satellite image - it's extraordinary! You can see the actual pulse of energy. NZ is just visible lower down and the volcano's cloud is wider than most of the North Island and many times bigger than Auckland city.

See the gif at https://twitter.com/bretthoffm/status/1482270951031320576?s=25.

[​IMG]

sarahk, Jan 16, 2022 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  3. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, a good thing that this was not one of Auckland's volcanoes erupting. Wouldn't be many Enzedders left at all if one had.

4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It would be ugly.

We had earthquakes in the South Island in the early '90s that caused untold damage and tragedy but there's little obvious to the casual observer. Imagine the quakes that created the mountains below! We, humans, have no idea what it would be like to live through that kind of geological upheaval.

[​IMG]

sarahk, Jan 16, 2022 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  5. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    I was downriver about 50 miles from Mt St Helens when it blew its top decades ago. The Cowlitz River was so choked with mud that it nearly flooded. There was so much mud that the Columbia River (about a mile wide) was blocked for weeks before being dredged. Ships upriver were stranded and those going upriver were blocked for months. Ash from the eruption was everywhere, though only a half inch or so landed where I was.

6. RVB77

RVB77 Member

Best Answers:
    I can give an opinion on France because I live there.
    The media are talking about a deep crisis for air tourism but my friends who work at the airport are happy that there have never been so many people in low season...

RVB77, Feb 17, 2022 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Any idea what type of air traffic they are seeing? Is it a mix of business and tourism? Are tourist spots all open? Restaurants, too? Masks, vax proof required?

jrbiz, Feb 17, 2022 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Discovered a little side issue - neighbour wants to go on holiday, rings the kennels, they've shut down. Not enough people travelling to stay open.

So now you have a catch-22, can't travel without kennels, no kennels without travellers. The kennels have to "read the room" and decide when to reopen.

I'm sure there are some shitty kennels still operating but he doesn't need to travel so badly that he'll send his doggo somewhere substandard.

sarahk, Feb 17, 2022 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My daughter lives a few towns away and she and her fiancé work, so they occasionally use a Doggie Daycare Center that also does overnight kennels. Not sure about the more traditional kennels around here, but doggie daycare sites seem to be booming here.

jrbiz, Feb 17, 2022 IP