1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

When will travel industry get back to normal?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bartino11, Nov 18, 2020.

Do you think that after this pandemic it will be more expensive to travel?

bartino11, Nov 18, 2020 IP
  2. Digibyte

Digibyte Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey buddy, I definitely think that the travel we have known and become used to will no longer be the same again. Travel will become a lot more expensive as airlines around the world fumble to keep themselves afloat. Governments are using printed hyperinflation inducing cash to feed airlines. There is the inevitability of many airlines dropping off the map and supply is much less than the demand will mean that flight prices will increase exponentially.

Digibyte, Nov 18, 2020 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm in NZ, but planned to be in Argentina or Chile now. I'd have been able to fly direct to Santiago or Buenos Aires with my motorbike loaded as freight on the same flight. I don't see either of those routes opening up for years - the airlines will be focussed on the more profitable routes so I'll need to fly to LA and then work my way south. That'll be expensive, time-consuming, and difficult for a regular tourist. I doubt we'll be able to manage it.

sarahk, Nov 18, 2020 IP
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    First, they will have to get past the issue of wearing masks for hours at airports and in the planes. I probably will not fly for any reason until that nonsense is over. Then, they will have to figure out how to get businesspeople to travel again. Tourism might spring back, but business travel may never recover. I thought this about business travel after 9/11, but it eventually came back because we did not have the video conferencing technology and it was still unfamiliar to many businesspeople. That situation has changed dramatically, of course. Now, employees are used to working remotely, there are virtual conferences (still being figured out, of course) and more. Not sure what percentage of all travel that business travel comprises, but I do not see it ever coming back to anywhere close to what it had been.

Here in the U.S., I feel that the airline industry is a matter of national security, so the government may very well have to bail it out. That could lead back to it being a government regulated industry like it was prior to Reagan de-regulating it. If that is the case, flying will be much more expensive and that will also reduce businesspeople's appetite for travel. I would not want to be an airline sales rep, right now.

jrbiz, Nov 19, 2020 IP
  5. Halcycon

Halcycon Peon

Best Answers:
    When people get vaccinated for it will be a travel requirement.

Halcycon, Nov 25, 2020 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Some have this irrational fear that they won't travel even after being vaccinated (and they are not a small %), which will continue to negatively impact tourism. Some large cities in EU thrived exclusively on tourism (take Madrid or Rome), hard to imagine that they will ever recover.

qwikad.com, Nov 28, 2020 IP
    mytechiestuff likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure about tourism, overall, but I suspect that the cruise lines are in real trouble. Remember what happened to thousands of their passengers when the virus broke out on board multiple ships early in 2020? Trapped in these floating prisons for weeks and weeks and treated like lepers when arriving in port. And, new viruses break out regularly. Who in their right mind would get on a ship for a one-week cruise with the risk of being locked down in the ship for 6+ weeks, instead, because a new virus has been discovered and a fellow passenger has tested positive? Keep in mind that if the ship cannot return to port every week to remove the week's trash, waste etc., and then re-stock food and other supplies, the boat turns into a floating garbage scow with miserable living conditions.

jrbiz, Nov 28, 2020 IP
  8. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    He claims tourism made 12% of Spain's GDP. It's been a ghost town and it hasn't improved one bit over the last 6 months.

When it comes to cruise ships I see them as large tin cans full of human excrements.

qwikad.com, Nov 28, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  9. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It does not matter when you are banned.

mmerlinn, Nov 28, 2020 IP
  10. Xrp

Xrp Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I reckon it will be a very long time, but does seem like they are taking some positive steps in the right direction.

Xrp, Nov 30, 2020 IP
  11. carolinemitrule

carolinemitrule Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe that with those green cards everything will get back to normal.

carolinemitrule, Mar 17, 2021 IP
  12. carolinemitrule

carolinemitrule Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you guys planning to get vaccinated?

carolinemitrule, Mar 17, 2021 IP
  13. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Probably not, unless it's required to get on a plane.

qwikad.com, Mar 17, 2021 IP
  14. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Duh. ANYTHING that limits the supply of anything ALWAYS pushes up the price.

Not going to happen unless they chain me down against my will. That is coming from a dude that has a 2.6% chance of dying from CV if infected by it. The average person has LESS than a 0.01% chance of dying if infected.

mmerlinn, Mar 17, 2021 IP
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Absolutely
    Not just for myself but for those around me.

sarahk, Mar 17, 2021 IP
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If I do it, it will be for cosmetic reasons much like wearing masks. I wear masks not because they do anything (especially the way I use them) but it shuts up the Karens out there and, therefore, minimizes any potential contact with them. And I live in a Fake News-fed, "covid is worse than ebola" blue state, so the Karens are here in full force. For the vaccine, I can envision some clients or prospects or other such business contacts asking if I have been vaccinated before agreeing to a physical meeting and I suspect that it will be required to get on a plane. So, I may very well end up getting one, but I will hold out for a single shot variety and also until I am sure that I will need it cosmetically. This is in keeping with my general vaccine philosophy, btw, as I do not do the flu shot, the pneumonia shot, the shingles shot, etc.

jrbiz, Mar 17, 2021 IP
  17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    How about tetanus?

sarahk, Mar 17, 2021 IP
  18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have gotten the tetanus shot and the boosters and also the childhood vaccines (polio, etc.) I am not an anti-vaxxer, per se. I just don't see the need for me to get the ones that I listed above. On the other hand, my wife just got her pneumonia vaccine and will be getting the covid vaccine after a waiting period. The influenza virus sent her to the hospital a couple of years ago, so she needs all the help that she can get. However, she has to be careful and not get the Pfizer vaccine because she has a shellfish allergy.

And, if they ever come up an anti-calorie vaccine that would allow me to eat chocolate or other goodies all day long and not gain weight, I would be fighting anyone and everyone to be first in line! ;)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    jrbiz, Mar 17, 2021 IP
  19. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Just how fat are you anyway? With all your constant talk about dieting, I am slowly getting a vision of you being well over 300 pounds. :rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Mar 17, 2021 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, physically, I am not overweight at all. Mentally, I am 600 Pounds and counting!

jrbiz, Mar 17, 2021 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.