1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

When should you end a relationship?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Chiedo, Apr 17, 2018.

When I started my agency, we worked with everyone. If people were paying, we were accepting the business.

When you're starting a new business and every dollar counts, it's easy to operate that way... until it isn't.

When you get to the point where there's a general tone of negativity in regards to how you feel about one of your clients and how they feel about you or your team (if you have one), it's time to end the relationship.

The natural inclination is for you to keep working for them because you enjoy the revenue and for them to continue working with you because they don't have the time to find someone else... but that's like someone who's lactose intolerant continuing to drink milk because the creamy goodness is delightful... even though it hurts on the flip side and makes your life a nightmare... (I'm lactose intolerant and have been there)

So ask yourself these questions about any client who's been the source of headaches:

Box 1:
    • Does your client love your business, are they indifferent to your business, or do they have a negative attitude towards your business?
    Box 2:
    • Do you feel that the work you're doing for the client is meaningful and in line with yoru passions?
    • Is the work you're doing for your client profitable?
    If your client has a negative attitude towards your business and consistently disrespects you or your people and you haven't had luck curving that attitude into a more positive one, end it or plot a course to end it as soon as possible. Period.

If your client loves your business and you answered yes to both of the questions in box 2, then figure out how to fix the source of the headaches. It's worth figuring out.

If your client is indifferent to your business (meaning they'd choose another company in a heartbeat if they were a dollar cheaper and don't care to refer people to you) and they're the source of constant headaches, put together a roadmap for ending the relationship. It doesn't have to happen immediately.

With all that being said, that's my criteria... at least the initial thoughts I've been brainstorming with. What do each of you think?

When should you end a relationship?

Chiedo, Apr 17, 2018 IP