1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

When dropshipping from China, how do you get past the outrageous shipping costs?

Discussion in 'eBay' started by Brain iscariot, Aug 11, 2010.

I'm just starting to get involved with dropshipping and ecommerce, but shipping from china is ridiculous, and I see competitors offereing FREE shipping on all of their products! How do I go about finding, or creating deals like this? Am I supposed to just eat the shipping cost even when it's 40% of the product price? Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.:)

Brain iscariot, Aug 11, 2010 IP
  2. fancydressqueen

fancydressqueen Member

Best Answers:
    Sadly I see it that you have three choices.

1. Eat the postage costs and lose money
    2. Incorporate the postage costs into the total price and offer with free postage
    3. Charge postage costs to your buyers

fancydressqueen, Aug 12, 2010 IP
  3. ccesaretto

ccesaretto Active Member

Best Answers:
    websites like dealextreme offer free shipping.

ccesaretto, Aug 12, 2010 IP
  4. cosmom4n

cosmom4n Member

Best Answers:
    your product price is including cost shipping. to get lowest and best cost shipping, u need to make JV with shipping company.

cosmom4n, Aug 17, 2010 IP
  5. tssen

tssen Peon

Best Answers:
    I never thought about making a JV with shipping company... would you recommend to email them and propose cheaper shipping? haha i wonder if that would work but to the OP
    You either charge a price and then charge shipping or you can incorporate the shipping into the product and say free shipping or you can jack up the price and say spend over 100 and get free shipping etc.

tssen, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  6. screwebay

screwebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    Get a better drop shipper OR find a way to incorporate the costs into the product(s).

screwebay, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  7. smallhope

smallhope Peon

Best Answers:
    what kind of things do you want to sell, i'm a ebayer in china, so i can help you, thanks

smallhope, Oct 13, 2010 IP
  8. verdecove

verdecove Member

Best Answers:
    Dropshipping and calculating shipping cost is a difficult subject anyway but dropshipping from China and calculating shipping is a horror due to the extreme shipping costs.
    It depends what items you are selling. You might be better off buying small bulk, get it shipped to your door and then take care for shipping yourself. In this case you maybe even can offer free shipping if the markup on the items will allow you to do so without you losing too much money. Otherwise you could charge a small flat rate shipping fee.
    For the main carriers like UPS, FedEx you can create an account with and schedule pickups from your home or office. This will make the calculation of shipping much easier on you. Besides of that, ordering bulk will maybe allow you to deal with the supplier in China and split the shipping cost with him. I have seen a lot of trusted suppliers in China and other countries even offer a free shipping to your door if you order in bulk.
    Good Luck
    verdecove

verdecove, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  9. trafficdeal

trafficdeal Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I suggest you look for suppliers that provide free shipping. That will save you a lot of money. You can try using dropshipping from brandsdragon.com they are also a wholesaler from china and best of all provide free shipping

trafficdeal, Dec 1, 2010 IP
  10. bernadus

bernadus Peon

Best Answers:
    Some dropshipper from china has low shipping cost because their postal service give them low cost shipment.

bernadus, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  11. digitalroadwarrior

digitalroadwarrior Peon

Best Answers:
    Your best bet is finding a balance between eating the cost and incorporating the shipping costs into your retail price.

digitalroadwarrior, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  12. Recession Proof

Recession Proof Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep the best thing to do is eat the shipping if you are going to use Chinese dropshipper. Personally I wouldn't use them at all, find a USA based dropshipper they are out there trust me, but you have to look for them. Try Googling "usa based electronics dropshippers" and go from there.

Recession Proof, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  13. RadianceGpt

RadianceGpt Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you may need to buy in bulk. I wanted to test out the quality of the products first, so I ordered 1 of about 50 items, and the shipping was around $40. I just ate that cost, and shipped more after that to me, and calculated that into the price of the item.

RadianceGpt, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  14. shirleybo

shirleybo Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, This is shirley from China, we always use China post and Hongkong post , the freigt charges are quite low .

shirleybo, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  15. serena85

serena85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Shipping from China to the US is like shipping from US to Europe same outrageous prices.

serena85, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  16. martinuk

martinuk Active Member

Best Answers:
    martinuk, Sep 10, 2012 IP
  17. kemasii

kemasii Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would not suggest drop shipping from china to begin with specially on eBay. If this is the route you must go then i would look for
    some one that offers free shipping.If shipping is 40% the cost of the item then you dont want it because it is likely crap any way. The true manufacturers in china are not High on shipping costs and usually have it included in the per piece price at least i have only dealt with those who do. remember if one person is selling there are 20 others there too you may be looking at a sucker listing instead of his true listing. You have to watch them with that they list an item at 3 different prices since some dont pay attention.

All in all remember pay pal and ebay will not honor protection for the seller if a third party is used. You will have a 50/50 chance the sale will be good or even that it will clear customs. Buy the product then sale it or have them mail you a sample product and see if it is worth the markup or it is really worth selling.

kemasii, Sep 13, 2012 IP
  18. DanWestern

DanWestern Peon

Best Answers:
    I have dropshipped from china before and if you look in the right place, the shipping costs aren't bad. Also after selling a certain amount most sellers will give you a discount on every product ordered from there on.

DanWestern, Sep 14, 2012 IP
  19. dasilvad14

dasilvad14 Member

Best Answers:
    Here is what I do...

I usually have some great leverage room. My shipping for certain items is between $20 - $40. I usually incorporate that into the price or I simply do 1/2 of what it costs me and charge the buyer. usually I can cover the charges and make a hefty profit.

dasilvad14, Sep 25, 2012 IP
  20. EvilTaco

EvilTaco Peon

Best Answers:
    Just buy alot of it at a time, take a bigger hit at the start. And then make your profit back from the cheaper shipping.

EvilTaco, Oct 3, 2012 IP