1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whats with IE? Expain to a newbie please.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by ScottDB, Feb 22, 2013.

Hi, I am sort of new to working with templates and design. I know what I am looking at and can change and edit templates ok for a newbie. I understand that IE reads the script differently from what I have been told and you have to write a lot of exceptions for IE.

What I am wondering is there any free tools or at least low budget that will create template edits that are going to be compatible with IE?

I keep downloading free templates and every time from a fresh install it seems like they don't work in IE half the time. I have one that I was trying to work with that I really like and would like to know if it would be a lot of work or not to get it to show correctly on IE. It works great on chrome and Firefox. You can view it here .

Any advice, help, or offer would be greatly appreciated.

Solved! View solution.
    ScottDB, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  2. Original Hosting

Original Hosting Active Member

Best Answers:
    The reason some templates may not work in some CSS versions is because the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) approves code so that it meets all standards. Unlike Firefox and other browsers IE only supports W3C standard codes and this usually takes them a while to create new standards.

Original Hosting, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  3. ScottDB

ScottDB Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the answer to the post. Just realised i didn't link the site to look at if anyone could help me figure out why this wont work in IE or what I need to do. Go to http://browserteams.us/sites/Demo/index.html
    Also is there tools to use to help with getting it to show correctly with IE?

ScottDB, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  4. wiicker95

wiicker95 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is really easy to make this compatible all over to IE5 w/o using any conditional css.

The main reason why your website is broken in IE is that you try to be innovative but you use coding practices dating back to 2000/2001. I guess that's what the creators of html5 wanted to achieve, but that's a whole another subject.

And what do I mean by that? You try to be fancy and stuff, by adding completelly pointless and redundant tags such as <header>, <nav>, <section> etc, but you clear your floats with an empty div!

As such, IE doesn't have a freakin clue how to render these, and if you don't include that little piece of javascript (it was an oxymoron, it blows a lot of k's), the viewers will go "-uh the g-" while viewing.
    The relative path you included does not seem to be correct, so try to fix that.

wiicker95, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  5. ScottDB

ScottDB Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ya that figures. This is a free template that I downloaded. It was probably created back in 2001. I am just doing this as a hoby right now. Just realy interested in it. Just as I got to learning html enough to figure out what does what and mess things up a lot:D, they come out with html5.
    So is there a tool that I could use to make the java to put into this? And not sure if it's allowed to post but can someone make me an offer to show me how to correct it?

ScottDB, Feb 22, 2013 IP
    Well nope! As the matter of fact, that must've been created after 2008...

There's one simple thing you can do.

Instead of "js/html5.js" within that conditional comment, put this:
    "http://html5shiv.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"

And it will work, well to some extent.

wiicker95, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  7. creativewebmaster

creativewebmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

IE is one kind of browser. The site should be support latest web browsers for example, firefox, chrome, IE etc. For the browser friendly development the code should be W3C valid.

creativewebmaster, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  8. ScottDB

ScottDB Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey thanks wiicker95. That worked great. And that was simple. Got to remember that one. Will this work for most templates that work with crome and firefox but don't show up to well in IE? There are realy a lot of templates that have this problem out there listed for free.

ScottDB, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  9. wiicker95

wiicker95 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To answer to that question, I'll have to explain what the javascript in question does.
    By default, you cannot apply any style to new html5 elements in all IE browsers below 9. That js file makes it possible. So if that's the issue, sure, it'll work.

However, if the problem is rather due to bad coding, that js file won't fix anything.

Hope you get it now

wiicker95, Feb 23, 2013 IP