1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's up with Google's PR????

Discussion in 'Google' started by frio, May 2, 2007.

1. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I do Col.
    I shan't put the link up because it is one of my risque ventures! Been around for the last 4 months and indexed.

CountryBoy, May 4, 2007 IP
  2. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with you to some extent on your views. After an intensive directory submision of many of my sites in the last 6 months and many were to non recip directories I have slipped by one pr on many of my sites. Even my one pr4 site that had been there for the last few years yes.... slipped. The interesting thing to note and for me it was a side experiment as I suspected in this upcoming update that directories which have proliferated the web in the last year would be a google red flaged and would take a hit. It is interesting to note from what I see on my end that on my one pr4 site that slipped to pr3 all the internal pages went up in pr. I suspect that the interanals went up because they were non directory submisions and backlinked to high quality sites. There is no other explanation!

reapr, May 4, 2007 IP
  3. BlindCat

BlindCat Banned

Best Answers:
    BlindCat, May 4, 2007 IP
  4. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have indexed subpages that are grayed out, not a whole site though. I'm pretty sure it would be the same pages that fall under "PageRank not yet assigned" in Google Webmaster Console. Pages like that are pretty easy to find... do a PageRank search on SEOChat tools... do 100 serps, order by PageRank. The pages will be listed in descending PageRank, followed by PR0 pages, followed by pages that don't have any number at all. The ones without even a PR0 all have a gray toolbar indicator.

No, that is not what is going on. Not sure why you would start making statements like that. MSN did not lose their PR due to paid links, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the toolbar PR indicator being grayed out.

-Michael

mvandemar, May 4, 2007 IP
  5. BlindCat

BlindCat Banned

Best Answers:
    I am not talking abt the toolbar.

The originator of the thread was asking abt the recent changes PR. Well this is exactly what happened. -- Read this post --

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/how-to-report-paid-links/

This was posted last week. And after that there was a good pr update. And its very clear that the value of the paid links has been devalued by google. And that is why every one's PR is pretty much affected.

Read this --- (Copying a Comment from Matt Cutts)

#
    Matt Cutts Said,

April 14, 2007 @ 4:41 pm

Ash, there’s absolutely no problem with selling links for traffic (as opposed to PageRank). At http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/hidden-links/ I mention a couple ways to sell links that Google would have no problem with.

Aaron Nimocks, I believe AdBrite constructs their links with JavaScript so that links are being sold for traffic, not to affect search engines. Things like JavaScript, the nofollow attribute (or meta tag), or doing a link through a redirect that is robots.txt’ed out would be techniques to sell links for visitors/traffic, as opposed to trying to influence search engine rankings.

Justice McCay, these spam reports won’t directly cause a site to go down. We’re going to use these external reports to test out some new techniques.

JohnMu, we’re looking to collect data for a new approach or two that we’re exploring, so I’m happy to receive pretty clear-cut reports right now.

Chaaban, nope, definitely not an April Fool’s joke. :) We’ve got a lot of data within Google already, but I wanted to put out a call for external reports to widen the set of data that we can test on.

Andy Beal and Michael VanDeMar, in the old days some people objected to the idea of a spam report form altogether. Over time, the spam report form became less controversial as people grew more comfortable with the idea of reporting problems and giving feedback to a search engine. Google has often used specific keywords in the past to let people report issues via the spam report form.

BlindCat, May 4, 2007 IP
  6. guia

guia Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes I agree that some sites that I know of have decreases by 1, some has the same PR. But new blog have increases from PR0 to PR4. I think Google calculate the site for Outbound links when we link to another site, what happens to the PR we send doesn't make any difference to our site, so the PR for the outbound link pages is not calculated. For inbound links the calculations assume that their initial PRs don't change through the iterations, which is unrealistic, so our sites resulting PR tends to be unrealistically high.

Click this link and how google calculate the site for page rank.
    http://www.webworkshop.net/pagerank_calculator.php

guia, May 4, 2007 IP
  7. nate@infinfx

nate@infinfx Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right - PR is not worth much more than selling links these days.

nate@infinfx, May 5, 2007 IP
  8. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Those two statements are opposite of each other. When the originator of this thread was talking about PR, he was talking about the toolbar. We can't see any other kind of PR.

I am very much aware of the thread you just quoted... I was one of the ones Matt was talking to:

I am Michael VanDeMar, and I was part of that conversation that day. I know exactly what Matt was talking about.

4 things wrong with what you posted:

1) Unless someone whose PageRank went down had paid links as the only thing powering their PR, what you posted whole thing would be completely unrelated anyways... also...

2) The current PageRank we are looking at was exported from a snapshot at the beginning of April. That post was made April 14th... it is impossible for the current PR to have anything at all to do with that post.

3) Matt has flat out said that they would not be penalizing sites per se for renting links, just that they would be trying to stop pages that were selling links from passing PR via it. Many people would read what you aid, "google has started to penalize sites for paid links", and not know what the hell that means.

4) That thread wasn't about Google affecting PR. It was about people reporting other webmasters who bought and sold links as spammers. Google has always tried to stop sold links from passing PR, it isn't new... just the witch hunt tactic is new.

What people are seeing now, including the drop in PR here on DigitalPoint, is normal PR re-distribution. The one thing that is new, and is part of what is being discussed in this thread, is that Google has gone back to graying out pages where the PR has not been assigned yet. Unless the gray bar is a glitch, I mean... but it seems pretty consistent.

-Michael

mvandemar, May 5, 2007 IP
  9. longhand

longhand Peon

Best Answers:
    longhand, May 5, 2007 IP
  10. boyponga

boyponga Banned

Best Answers:
    If you are aiming for PR, I think you are just selling links. PR does not give a big part in SEO. You must focus on SE Traffic, High ranks in SERPs, Good site popularity, etc.

boyponga, May 5, 2007 IP
  11. Janna122003

Janna122003 Banned

Best Answers:
    PR is not about quantity but quality links.

Janna122003, May 9, 2007 IP
  12. ouromarketing

ouromarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Wrong. PR is about quantity of quality links:)

ouromarketing, May 10, 2007 IP
  13. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's also about quantity of non-quality link as well. They all add up. Mostly, anyways... as long as Google knows about them, and the domain they are from is not banned, then they count to some degree. You are right in that Janna122003 is wrong though.

-Michael

mvandemar, May 10, 2007 IP
  14. ouromarketing

ouromarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Quantity of non-quality link as well.

Aha. Still, if operate under original PR formula (read, read, read the Wikipedia article for PageRank), you are unable to reach PR10 using only PR0 no matter, how many of them link to you -- ten, one hundred, one thousand, one million.

You still need at least some good links.

15. RobertD

RobertD Peon

Best Answers:
    PR directly affects your SERPs.

RobertD, May 10, 2007 IP
  16. ouromarketing

ouromarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    And SERPs directly affects your SE traffic, so PR matters --- no matter how hard you PR-haters try to disprove it.

17. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, no, you missed a part in that paper then. The PR0 that you see has a default amount of PR assigned to it, just not enough to register on the toolbar. It has to be that way, because ALL pages are PR0 if you start calculating from scratch.

So, yes, you can get to PR0 with nothing but PR0 links.

-Michael

18. QiSoftware

QiSoftware Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Q's Wire... was pr4. It is still a pr4 but if I go to another page on the blog it shows pr3 or sometimes pr4. It is not a cache problem. Are you having this problem with your site pages?

Q...

QiSoftware, May 10, 2007 IP
  19. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Are you asking if we're having the same "problem" as you, where not all pages on the same site have the same PageRank...?

-Michael

20. ouromarketing

ouromarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, of course. But imagine Markov chain that ensues. To get PR10, you have to have pretty high probability of Google reaching you from any page in the world with reasonable number of hops, and PR0 has very minute probability. So, when you get link from PR0, you are assigned a division of its real Page Rank, but when you get more PR0 links, it is not added, but multiplied.

(for example, you get links from pages with real page rank of x and y, being the sole links from either, and having dampening factor of two, your PageRank is not (x / 2) + (y / 2), but something like 1 - (1 - (x / 2)) * (1 - (y / 2))).

ouromarketing, May 11, 2007 IP