1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's up with Froogle?

Discussion in 'Shopping' started by ViciousSummer, Jun 25, 2004.

Okay, I'm totally frustrated with Froogle...

It's got to be one of the worst search engines. My products are in Froogle, but they rarely come up in a search. And, when they do come up in a search, they are put after *less relevant* products from sites that have a higher PR (Hey, look...a use for PR after all ;) ...).

For example, if I search for "hustler lingerie" there are 113 confirmed products for that KW, but in the 1st 10 there is only 1 product that is actually "hustler lingerie". Which is ridiculous, because I have 100's of hustler lingerie products in Froogle. A search for "hustler panties" yields 31 confirmed products, but in all of the 31 products there are only 2 products that are actually "hustler panties". The rest of the products are pulled from my site (www.hustlerpanties.com), but the products that are shown are stockings, costumes and rhinestone jewelry?! Again, I have dozens of Hustler brand panties in Froogle. Maybe I'm missing something but that doesn't seem to be very relevant to the search terms.

AND another thing (sorry if I'm ranting), I never submitted a data feed for my eBay store, but my eBay products are showing up in Froogle as "confirmed" results!

So, I'm concluding that Froogle will take whatever KW a site ranks high for in Google, and display any of that sites products (relevant or not) when that KW is searched for in Froogle. Which, IMO, make for a useless shopping search engine.

The End :D

ViciousSummer, Jun 25, 2004 IP
  2. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    1. you seem to feed very short long descriptions

2. have you sort of mapped it with Fr?

send me the feed and I have a look
    m

PS If you want send it to

expat, Jun 25, 2004 IP
  3. cobaltlady

cobaltlady Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Expat that your feed has a problem. Send it to him I'm sure he can set you on the right path.

cobaltlady, Jun 25, 2004 IP
  4. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I've sent my feed to expat (thanks, expat), but I don't understand how this could be a problem with my feed. I do have short "long descriptions", but my descriptions include all the info you would need. For example: search for "hustler lingerie" in Froogle. The 1st product that comes up is mine, title is "Black Bow Trimmed Thigh Hi Stockings", description is "Black Opaque Thigh Hi Stockings with Ruffle & Black Bow Trim". How is that relevant to the search term "hustler lingerie"?

ViciousSummer, Jun 25, 2004 IP
  5. expat

Best Answers:
    VS,

I've send you details back - here is a more generic answer.

Froogle - it's free - so you can't expect perfection from a free resource (except if Shawn has written it)

If you have slightly complicated categories or many of them as this is what you need - remember F is mapping these for you - give them a helping hand suggest politely - blokes like me do not know retail categories for lingerie for example -

It's build to grow so they will be hesitant in the beginning to expand categories as they want confirmed products thus they can feed them into G.

And than the biggest grunge I have with all these on-line shops :

I determine by their descriptions if it's just a cornershop stocking or if it is a boutique with knowlegable caring personal behind it.....
    and I bet so do a lot of other people.

Lingerie - it should be awsome and inspiering

Sorry VS I use one of yours as an example

Black Fishnet Racerback Tank Top with White Trim & Printed Hustler Logo.

What? Why should I buy this? Why should I buy this from VS?

The must have black tank top with white trim. The fishnet racerback from hustler lingerie with its imbedded logo and the outstanding appearance and comfort which is the hallmark of this phantastic lingerie brand st apart from other lingerie manufacturers by their commitment to style quality and comfort..... A pure black top eye catching by its white trim it is the must have Black Fishnet Racerback Tank Top with White Trim & Printed Hustler Logo specially selected by............

and so on and on ......

Describe use synonyms and repeat keyword sequences, use sublimal messages like sexy look .... show your best ..... Froogle uses G technology but it does not use any thing already in G.
    Thus the description is the major point.

1000+ Characters use it!!!!!!!

Best of luck

M

PS This is a feed line I use for a product

"http://natural-remedies-clinic.co.uk/cart/view_product.php?product=Yamoa-60-capsules"
    "Yamoa Capsules The natural Asthma and Hay Fever treatment"
    "These vegi caps containing the natural Asthma and Hay Fever remedy are suitable for vegetarians. They are a very convenient way of taking a dosage of Yamoa asthma treatment. (Price incl. P&P) Yamoa has been clinically tested and researched with double blind trials for asthma and hay fever with astonishing results. Find the full research of this natural treatment and medication for respiratory ailments and more information as well as testimonials about this truly natural Asthma and Hay Fever supplement on our supporting pages."
    "http://www.natural-remedies-clinic.co.uk/images/yamoa-c-2.jpg"

PPS If you do it that way you also have one single great page per product why not use it?

PPPS It's Saturday morning and I'm just about sobering up so excuse any mistreatment of language and any msplt words - it's one of my second languages.....

expat, Jun 26, 2004 IP
  6. cobaltlady

cobaltlady Peon

Best Answers:
    Expat great advise. My product descriptions are almost as long as yours. When I first started submitting feeds I had trouble with catagories so I just used the catagories that Google uses and that has worked fine for me.

cobaltlady, Jun 26, 2004 IP
  7. expat

Best Answers:
    Thank you. Very good tip as well.

Again I found them very helpful when contacted nicely and if one has great products and puts a bit passion behind it .......

M

PS
    It's always good to remember no one understands your product and market as well as yourself - competiton? who are they? - oh you mean the ASP's (alternative supplier pages)....

expat, Jun 26, 2004 IP
  8. jonnyplatt

jonnyplatt Peon

Best Answers:
    Am I right in thinking Froogle will only accept feeds from bricks and mortar shops/mail order cos, not from affiliate sites? (even if they make their own descriptions etc?)

jonnyplatt, Jul 1, 2004 IP
  9. cobaltlady

cobaltlady Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure affiliates are not allowed. It should be in their TOS.

cobaltlady, Jul 1, 2004 IP
  10. expat

Best Answers:
    Only if you take the money and control shipping

--------------------------------------------
    Froogle points users to sites where they can buy actual products from the merchants that sell them. Therefore, to be eligible to submit a feed, you must sell products via your website and ship them to the buyer. If you sell services or custom products that do not have fixed prices, use your website only to promote an offline business, or are an affiliate marketing site, your site content may be crawled by and included in Google's web search, but it will not be included in Froogle. Nor will Froogle accept a data feed under these conditions.
    ---------------------------------------------
    M

expat, Jul 1, 2004 IP
  11. jonnyplatt

jonnyplatt Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess that's not too surprising really.. just wondering what effect it'll have on affiliate sales when they take it out of beta in the uk.
    Anyone have any experience from its introduction in the US?

jonnyplatt, Jul 1, 2004 IP
  12. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Okay, I've contacted Froogle and have found out the problem...They have classified my lingerie as "adult" which won't show up in searches unless you change your Froogle settings. I have sent another email to them since my site is definately not an adult site. AND, the funny thing is that they sited a specific example of my products that have "explicit or implied nudity", but the exact same product can be found in Froogle, from one of my competitors websites! This is the product that was the example:

Hustler Fishnet Tank Top

Yet, they have allowed this product:

Vinyl Open Bust Corset

from a different website (that is my main competition and has 1 more PR point then my site).

Interesting....I guess I'll just have to wait for their reply ;) !

ViciousSummer, Jul 12, 2004 IP
  13. expat

Best Answers:
    Very interesting. It highlights the problems of running an on-line shop in a prudish country with double morality standards.

I would not wait I would be proactively using the example classed as Other Lingerie and highlight that all product shots are of superior quality and with the clear aim of being used in public advertising.
    Ask your supplier to send you a statement confirming advertising brief and brand standards, ask them to write to F using your tracking number.

If you don't get anywhere you could offer to to send two feeds one with "prudish" content and one which may have open im- or explicit nudity.

Don't forget to use the tracking number of the first answer.....

Best of luck
    M

expat, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  14. sophie smith

sophie smith Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    what is the froogle

sophie smith, Oct 26, 2016 IP