1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whats the secret?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Web Gazelle, Apr 11, 2006.

To making money from Amazon? :confused:

Web Gazelle, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  2. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Get *lots* of traffic and make sure they're people who want to buy the stuff you have links to. I hope that's not overly simplistic :rolleyes:

exam, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  3. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Well you have to do a few things,

Craft a nice site that can avoid the dup penalty
    Put it on a domain that's 3/4 years old +
    Add it onto a site that is known for a few years offering reviews of a specific product.

I did that and within a few months the amazon site I "added" to the existing site was doing around $500-$800 per month in commission and doing really well in the serps. I sold it as it was an experiment at the time, but that was the make-up that worked for me.

sji2671, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  4. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe niche sites are best for Amazon.

I have not made a single penny since I joined 4 years ago, but as soon as I set up a site for one of my customers, and put one of my Amazon links to test it, it returned $3.50 in less than 5 minutes.

Of course my customer's site has a domain related to a Hollywood celebrity and that could be the reason.

Mystique, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  5. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Good advice man. :)

exam, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  6. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the most important thing is using it on a site that the user knows will be trying to sell them something. I have a blog about investing, and I was initially using AdSense and Amazon, but I got rid of Amazon because it was not getting any clicks. Luckily, AdSense is working quite well!

Tyler Banfield, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  7. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    From the huge variation in results here, and my own experience, I think the topic matters more than anything. It always surprised me that a low-traffic site on an obscure subject always made more Amazon money than other sites with two to four times the visitors which dealt with less obscure themes.

Obelia, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  8. younghistorians

younghistorians Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alot of it is dumb luck as well. I set up an amazon feed script on a non-use domain of mine, and forgot about it. Months later, I logged into my Amazon account and found people purchasing the most random items (power saws, baby bottles, fishhooks, etc). Turns out that my feed was indexed and ranked well in Froogle.

younghistorians, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  9. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It never worked for me. I even made nice spreads with book covers and write ups on sites that received lots of traffic. I made about 100$ a year. My pages are "prime real estate" and I made way more money displaying AdSense in that same space.

helleborine, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  10. alph

alph Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Keep it simple, don't over design and lose the focus of the page. The best bet is having people land on deep page in your site with exactly what they are looking for.

They want to see their item, with a way to buy it in like 1 second, or they are hitting the back button and going to the next result...

(Oh...and once you get to where you are making money...take it while you get it because you may drop out of the serps by the next quarter...)

alph, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  11. timecoderror

timecoderror Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have the traffic yet, but actually the books will help my traffic. My site, www.edithomevideo.com will benefit greatly from the Amazon approval I got today. I can go select the video editing books I think people can use to enhance what I am teaching them. So can I actually have a link ... BOOKS .. and just put those Amazon books there? Similar to my Squido lens in the books section. That makes the most sense to me but will I be violating anything or colliding with the adsense on the page as well?

timecoderror, Apr 28, 2006 IP
  12. aqi32

aqi32 Active Member

Best Answers:

how would you go about avoiding this on a site which by nature has many similar pages? i have a real estate site which hundreds of pages that vary by only the location name and a short unique descrption of that location, so it has obviously been dropped down the rankings for a dupe penalty but i'm not sure how to tackle it, more unique content on each page?

aqi32, May 7, 2006 IP