1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's the first programming language a child might use today?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by CP/M User, Jun 30, 2008.

1. CP/M User

CP/M User Peon

Best Answers:
    bigspaces wrote:

Python is the modern basic.

Interesting. I've heard of Python, though have never used it cause I wasn't sure what it was like.

CP/M User, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  2. m4x

m4x Guest

Best Answers:
    My first programming language I began with was Visual Basic. :)

I kind of wish I started with html/css/php because it really would have made me a better programmer if i picked it up when i was younger. I must admit i havent touched visual basic ever since. i am more into php/css/html

m4x, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  3. mshore

mshore Peon

Best Answers:
    I think most of us look at programming the wrong way. Programming at it's core is really just applied mathematics, and at the core of that is logic. We need to teach our kids fundamental logic. The basis for all programming is logic and we need our future software engineers to have solid logic skills, so honestly I would start them with some basic logic building skills.

For an actual beginner language, BASIC is still very BASIC :) and a simple place to begin. You might want to consider starting out with a traditional OOP language though.

mshore, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  4. CP/M User

CP/M User Peon

Best Answers:
    mshore wrote:

I think most of us look at programming the wrong way. Programming at it's core is really just applied mathematics, and at the core of that is logic. We need to teach our kids fundamental logic. The basis for all programming is logic and we need our future software engineers to have solid logic skills, so honestly I would start them with some basic logic building skills.

For an actual beginner language, BASIC is still very BASIC :) and a simple place to begin. You might want to consider starting out with a traditional OOP language though.

I agree with you in part, the part being mathematics is the core to many programs and particularly when I was going to school I did Maths in Primary School, Secondary School, though in year 11 & 12, Maths was optional (I still did it though), though I'm not what you'd call an advanced Maths person, which is probably why I struggle writing programs with Mathematical problems to them.

I'll direct you to this thread I started just recently, it seems like a simply problem I posted (from a BASIC programming book done in the 80s), however it's a very specific in terms of what it wants, and sure in BASIC you could write it as a series of PRINT statements, though BASIC can also give you a mathematical solution (or indeed a few mathematical solutions or clever ways) to generate that output - which contradicts your comments about BASIC. OOP is illrelevant in my view (hence the name!), though is perhaps more mathemathically demanding, though for people who wish to pursue OOP based languages I wish them all the best! :-D

CP/M User, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  5. wiredwizard

wiredwizard Peon

Best Answers:
    my daughter started with Kids Programming Language (KPL) from Microsoft now she has moved up to c# about a two year time span she is 11 years old

wiredwizard, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  6. hanx

hanx Peon

Best Answers:
    I didnt go through all the above articles but i can suggest that starting with some knowledge in C programing will be a great... caz once u kno it basically all the other languages are basically simply the same with slight differences....

hanx, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  7. hotladylucy

hotladylucy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think alot of people start off now with one version of C or another.

hotladylucy, Jul 21, 2011 IP