1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's the first programming language a child might use today?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by CP/M User, Jun 30, 2008.

1. CP/M User

CP/M User Peon

Best Answers:
    blueparukia wrote:

I should probably try to attempt to learn Assembler, but it sounds complicated :S

Probably just me, though I've had more trouble with Object Orientated languages than Assembly, probably because Z80 Assembly I used came with some very handy Firmware routines and OO has no place in 8bit archecture. On a 16bit Platform I started with 8086/8088 Assembly (that's usually how to introduce yourself to Assembly!) - a lot of it has become a haze though. I get the feeling though that Assembly has become a bit of a Why bother language nowadays since computer run so fast, though because you're always talking to the machine itself, Assembly will always be faster than anything else! :-D

CP/M User, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  2. ColorWP.com

ColorWP.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ColorWP.com, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  3. CaffinePhil

CaffinePhil Banned

Best Answers:
    LOGO now that brings back memories. Does anyone of a good emulator for this?

CaffinePhil, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  4. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well in school we used "MicroWorlds", but it is pretty crap, and last time I checked - pretty expensive.

blueparukia, Jul 2, 2008 IP
    TheVccMatey likes this.
  5. TheVccMatey

TheVccMatey Peon

Best Answers:
    C++ mostly. Cause it's taught at school. The first language I learned was LOGO then HTML then Basic then C++. Now I'm trying for PHP and Java :D

TheVccMatey, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  6. helpbeam

helpbeam Guest

Best Answers:
    I started back in the day with the basic that came with the Commodore VIC20 (remember those?) and then went to the Commodore 64 later. I can't even fathom doing it without a GUI now. Even Qbasic seems ancient.

However, if you can get a copy of VB 6, the interface is simpler than VB.NET and easier to understand. Even my six year old has made a Hello World app by dragging and dropping and filling in a few properties

helpbeam, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  7. CP/M User

CP/M User Peon

Best Answers:
    CaffinePhil wrote:

LOGO now that brings back memories. Does anyone of a good emulator for this?

I do, but you'll have to get a CPC Emulator (if you want a Windows based emulator - Winape is you're best bet), and use CP/M which DR Logo comes on (either CP/M Plus or CP/M v2.2).

Don't know of any Standard Logo programs written for IBM based computers (or if you're Apple there was an Apple Logo, unfortunately I don't recall what it was called - probably Apple Logo!) - Simtel (if their still around) probably has something! :-D Logo was once quite widely available amongst Computer systems though - even used one on the old Apple IIe!

CP/M User, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  8. CP/M User

CP/M User Peon

Best Answers:
    helpbeam wrote:

I started back in the day with the basic that came with the Commodore VIC20 (remember those?)

Got an emulator of a VIC20 somewhere - quite an usual computer which needs Windows in the background inside a DOS box to work! Been around a while though. I had a hard time working out the Graphic combinations found in a book I had, loaded with VIC20 programs! :-o Otherwise an interesting machine! Never liked C64s! :-(

9. CP/M User

CP/M User Peon

Best Answers:
    According to a diagram I downed with a History of Computer Languages, Logo has elements of Lisp within it, and in 1996 a language called Squeak which has elements from Smalltalk 80 and Self. Anyone familiar with Squeak though?

10. korp

korp Peon

Best Answers:
    I think html is probably the easiest to start out in just because editors like frontpage allow you to create a design and see what code goes with what. CSS expands on html and actually could be even easier than html since most of the design is in the style sheet. From there probably vb or c++ at least from the people I had classes with in high school ... java could be in there thats where I went but it can be complicated. Then probably php but thats just my opinion.

korp, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  11. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ahh, but neither HTML or CSS are programming or scripting laguages. And you should always write the code yourself, not get a program like Frontpage or Dreamweaver to d it properly, because then half the time, the code isn't real HTML.

blueparukia, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  12. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well it all matters on either client side or server side.

Overall I believe ASP or PHP can be a good started or on the other side, visual basic

Dreads, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  13. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Would you believe, my husband looked at this question and said "Perl, of course." I'm thinking I don't even want to look at Perl, let alone a kid. There are rules, but when there's Tim Towtdi I dunno if I could handle that.

I guess I'll third Pascal. It's a teaching language, after all. Why start a kid on something that forces them to waste time unlearning bad habits, when they could learn the real basics of programming from a real programming language (sorry, I worked with an application in a hospital that was written in VB, makes me gag to this day).

Stomme poes, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  14. CP/M User

CP/M User Peon

Best Answers:
    Stomme poes wrote:

Would you believe, my husband looked at this question and said "Perl, of course." I'm thinking I don't even want to look at Perl, let alone a kid. There are rules, but when there's Tim Towtdi I dunno if I could handle that.

I've heard of Perl, though haven't used it - for memory when I was an OS/2 Warp User, Perl was available which I might have checked out had my Hard Disk remained active for another couple of years! :-o

Probably would have tossed Perl out in no time! :-o

I guess I'll third Pascal. It's a teaching language, after all. Why start a kid on something that forces them to waste time unlearning bad habits, when they could learn the real basics of programming from a real programming language (sorry, I worked with an application in a hospital that was written in VB, makes me gag to this day).

Heh! Interesting people say Pascal, when you consider the popular Turbo Pascal has been out of date for quite some time! Though there are Free Pascal compilers out there (Free Pascal for example) which make Pascal for current. Though Delphi I guess it's the Commercial replacement for TP from Borland - even though it's got this layered look about it! Though I dare say there are Pascal alternatives which extend past the old TP language.

CP/M User, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  15. ColorWP.com

ColorWP.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    But, you were asking for the easiest for a child and I believe Pascal is the easiest, because it's programming commands look just like in the real language, which are barely understandable and hard to learn on other programming languages.

ColorWP.com, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  16. Curtis Hunter

Curtis Hunter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was only 6-7 (Can't remember accurately.)
    HTML. I used to spend hours fiddling with center tags, bold tags, and all these simple things that I thought were so impressive. Now, I basically puke at the thought of such horrific creations.

Took my... young and yet-to-be-developed mind many years to learn PHP, but it's achievable.

Curtis Hunter, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  17. haomie

haomie Peon

Best Answers:
    Assembly and C

The rest will be easy after

haomie, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  18. CP/M User

CP/M User Peon

Best Answers:
    mrgee wrote:

But, you were asking for the easiest for a child and I believe Pascal is the easiest, because it's programming commands look just like in the real language, which are barely understandable and hard to learn on other programming languages.

Yes true, Pascal does have some striking keywords which makes it easier to understand. I guess from my point of view having grown up with BASIC in the 80s, BASIC is the language a lot of people from that era are more comfortable with - even though I've made some attempt to promote Pascal for that generation and even making it very easy to obtain the software they need and instructions on how to use it, I've had a couple of interested people though nothing to eventuate from it in the shape of a program (perhaps I haven't been trying hard enough emphasising that, though I thought generating a website with Instructions and programs would have been clear cut). I've highlighted some of the strengths and weaknesses though so perhaps their's concerns for the weaknesses.

Interesting enough I pulled out this old book on BASIC called - Programming is Fun which was done in the early 80s. It's target audience being teenage students from 13-17, though is interesting book for anyone, some of the BASIC example are perhaps a bit messy with poor use of the GOTO, though they threw those in I guess just to show how it works and what Output the program produces.

CP/M User, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  19. CP/M User

CP/M User Peon

Best Answers:
    haomie wrote:

Assembly and C

The rest will be easy after

How 'bout going one step further and code straight out Machine Code! ;-)

There was a project which got some criticism where someone was designing a High-level language which produced Assembly tight code, unfortunately I cannot quite recall the name might have been HLA (High Language Assembler?), I'd imagine it would still be carried on, though it was a couple of years ago I first found out about it.

CP/M User, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  20. bigspaces

bigspaces Guest

Best Answers:
    Python is the modern basic.

bigspaces, Jul 15, 2008 IP