1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whats the different between Photoshop and Illustrator?

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by ArTisTiC Designs, Apr 6, 2012.

Hi,

Okay so I have Photoshop CS5, I use it for designing purposes mainly for Logo Designing.

But I find some logos too good and sometimes i see 3D logos, or logos like in which the buyer asks to make a cartoon character and people say to use Photoshop's pentool for it, I tried it but it doesn't work.

3D in Photoshop isn't the 3D I am looking for. Mainly you know i've heard the Vector is the type which people use to create Logos.

I don't find any Vector in Photoshop idk why.

I am trying to create logos like this:

main_justusweb.jpg
    vividways.png

Are these 2 logos made in Photoshop or Illustrator?

Solved! View solution.
    ArTisTiC Designs, Apr 6, 2012 IP
    You could do it with the pen tool in Photoshop, but you'd have to work really hard to make it look perfect. Those logos look like they were made in illustrator - the big advantage is that if you make them as vectors, your clients can print them at any size, from business cards to billboards, and you don't have to remake the logo if your first version is at too small a resolution.

snowelephant, Apr 7, 2012 IP
  3. ArTisTiC Designs

ArTisTiC Designs Peon

Best Answers:
    thnx i choose you as best answer.

i tried illustrator and it worked best!

ArTisTiC Designs, Apr 7, 2012 IP
  4. heavycat

heavycat Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Photoshop is designed to manipulate bitmaps, which are just rows and columns of numbers (in computer memory). That's one reason Photoshop files (and PNG, JPG, etc.) are so big. Each pixel has to be stored. Vector art, like what Illustrator makes, can be described with equations, which generate the lines and curves when the image is displayed instead of storing them. That's also why vector images can be increased or decreased in size without losing quality. All that's happening is the equations are changing. With a bitmap, pixels have to be added or subtracted and that always changes the quality.

heavycat, Apr 7, 2012 IP
  5. searchesuk

searchesuk Peon

Best Answers:
    Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator having many of the creative capabilities of the other. Photoshop is a bitmap image manipulation and processing program that is perfect for creating, outputting or modifying digital images of a photographic nature. Illustrator is a vector based drawing program that generates individual vector objects (Bezier curves) that retain their characteristics and are not part of a bitmap. Although the creative programs Photoshop and Illustrator are manufactured by Adobe, there are quite some differences.

searchesuk, Apr 9, 2012 IP
  6. Alicia Terry

Alicia Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    as for me - photoshop is more comlicated then illustrator but it containes a great number of functions and oppotunities for compliting any kind of designing work! )
    but if you need to make make better your project in fast and simple way!

Alicia Terry, Apr 9, 2012 IP
  7. Michael Brown

Michael Brown Peon

Best Answers:
    This is the question of the day:D

Michael Brown, Apr 11, 2012 IP
  8. ArTisTiC Designs

ArTisTiC Designs Peon

Best Answers:

How to lock/close this thread? :|

ArTisTiC Designs, Apr 11, 2012 IP
  9. Brynnae

Brynnae Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    1. Photoshop is used mainly for photo manipulation where illustrator are used to draw vector items.
    2. Another difference between Photoshop and illustrator are its course of resolution.
    3. Photo-shop's drawing and vector tools are not much powerful as illustrator has.
    4. Photoshop is usually known as fresh canvas, where illustrator is a geometry calculator.

Brynnae, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  10. MelanieT

MelanieT Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    One is a vector program while the other is not, if I'm correct. That's why some designs are more advisable for one and some are more advisable for the other.

MelanieT, Jun 3, 2012 IP
  11. rillpoll

rillpoll Peon

Best Answers:
    Between photoshop and illustrator, which is easier to learn by ourself?

rillpoll, Jun 4, 2012 IP
  12. Jared @ 911Lights

Jared @ 911Lights Member

Best Answers:
    Photoshop is for raster images (think photos with pixels, little dots), Illustrator is for Vectors (think line drawing, logos, design work).

Jared @ 911Lights, Jun 6, 2012 IP
  13. Jared @ 911Lights

Jared @ 911Lights Member

Best Answers:
    Photoshop is probably easier, but it really depends on what you are trying to do. For a basic raster program, Paint.Net is probably sufficient and easier to use.

Jared @ 911Lights, Jun 6, 2012 IP
  14. rillpoll

rillpoll Peon

Best Answers:
    owh i see, maybe i should start learn illustrator then. I have the basic knowledge of photoshop and i want to learn about illustrator

rillpoll, Jun 7, 2012 IP
  15. SuccessTies

SuccessTies Peon

Best Answers:
    Both those logos you refer to can be created in photoshop.

However, they could also be made in Illustrator.

Probably better in Illustrator for logos for the vector component, however you can also have 'vectors' in photoshop using the pen tool.

If you don't like the pen tool in photoshop then you'll hate Illustrator.

Good luck!

SuccessTies, Jun 7, 2012 IP
  16. texianmg

texianmg Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Actually, IMHO, Heavycat's reply is the best fitting answer to the essence of your original question, i.e. "what's the difference?" For print work, something that you will ultimately want reproduced in hard-copy form, a vector editing application is the correct tool for the task and the results desired. Illustrator, CorelDraw, Xara Designer, Fireworks, Freehand, Inkscape are all vector editors with extensive feature sets and raving fans. It's up to you, the user, to decide which works best in your hands. If all your logo work is to be limited to strictly displaying on web pages then Photoshop is an option. I wouldn't rely on it alone though.

texianmg, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  17. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Photoshop has some tools for making vector graphic but there are little number of them because Photoshop is mainly for raster/bitmap grapghics.
    If you are going to design sophisticated graphics for logo or website layout I strongly recommend to use Adobe Illustrator which has a lot of tools for doing vector graphics. Another good professional program for vector graphics is Corel.

richardm55, Jul 24, 2012 IP
  18. drovit

drovit Member

Best Answers:
    @snowelephant is right. Using pentool in photoshop doesn't give you the advantage of using illustrator. Logos are created in vector programs like Illustrator or Corel Draw, because you don't have to recreate the logo for other resolutions.

drovit, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  19. lolpasslol

lolpasslol Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshop is for raster image,
    illustrator is for vector image.
    that's the main difference .

A vector image is geometrical image it is pixel independent,
    but raster image is not like that.

More over Photoshop has some extra facility like image editing ,enhancing etc
    Illustrator can't do it.

lolpasslol, Jul 28, 2012 IP