1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's the difference between IE6 and IE7 - CSS related

Discussion in 'CSS' started by rozehrocks, Oct 2, 2007.

I don't have IE6 anymore but I have IE7. In web designing, I usually fix my css to make it compatible with FF and IE7 but I'm not sure if my designs look okay with IE6.

rozehrocks, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  2. jmhyer123

jmhyer123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Probably not, IE6 and IE7 are WAY different and IE6 is just completely out of wack. I have the same problem, I suggest you use the "IE Tab" addon/module for firefox, it works great for displaying IE6 pages within FF.

jmhyer123, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  3. rozehrocks

rozehrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    well, what I'm trying to figure out is if there's a way to make my designs looks okay with the 3 browsers and if possible, understand the difference with IE6 and 7, in relation to CSS or I think, it's just the padding and the margin?

rozehrocks, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  4. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Not just padding and margin, no. Though that's a big deal of it. There's also the height: 100% issues, and the IE6 including borders padding margins etc in width of containers...

I just added IE7 (like a few weeks ago) on my machine at work, which automatically killed and removed 6. But at tredosoft, you can get Multiple IEs, down to 3.1 (which is cool too, because it's a no-CSS browser)!

I suggest you download it/them, because the differences are enough and IE6 is still going to be popular for a long time.

The differences can be so bad that stuff on one page is just unreadable in IE6 but works fine in compliant browsers.

Stomme poes, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  5. codyrockx

codyrockx Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely the box model is the biggest thing you need to worry about. All the padding and margin issues are going to be a problem. Definitely would suggest finding someone that still has IE or if you have Windows XP and have not upgraded to Vista, head on over to browers.evolt.org to download a standalone version of IE 6.

codyrockx, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  6. rozehrocks

rozehrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the replies. :D

I use to have that multiple IEs. Guess I'll ask my friend to install it again.

rozehrocks, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  7. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Grandma can install it (if you have Windows, where it does all the work for you).

Go to tredosoft.com, click on the link in the first paragraph called "Download page" where it will list all the stuff you can download. One of them is Multiple IE's and just clickie click, install... it ends up by default in the programs section so don't change anything when it asks where to stick it.

Stomme poes, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  8. soulscratch

soulscratch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IE7 = Dumb.
    IE6 = Dumber.

MultipleIE blows. Crippled piece of dogshit. Especially for Javascript debugging.

Damn clients.

soulscratch, Oct 3, 2007 IP