1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's the best Geotargeting script?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by LakeCountry, Jan 13, 2007.

I just recently started using YPN and I'm having a hard time deciding which Geotargeting script to use.

Is there any one script that really stands out and why?

LakeCountry, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  2. ArcticPro

ArcticPro Banned

Best Answers:
    ArcticPro, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  3. xharrisonx

xharrisonx Peon

Best Answers:
    What is the difference beetween paid maxmind database and free maxmind database?

xharrisonx, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  4. xharrisonx

xharrisonx Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, internet lagged and it double posted.

xharrisonx, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  5. iBold

iBold Peon

Best Answers:
    a few percentage points of accuracy..

I also would suggest phpadsnew, it's a great script. As far as paying for a DB, don't waste your money. The free one works perfectly well if you can deal with 1 or 2% error.

iBold, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  6. Tracey12

Tracey12 Peon

Best Answers:
    I use this: this. I like it.

Tracey12, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  7. LakeCountry

LakeCountry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.phpadsnew.com looks very good and it seems lots of people are using it.

I wondering, does anyone have any first hand experience with Mysimpleads. It looks good also but how do they compare?

LakeCountry, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  8. slava

slava Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem with the 1-2% accuracy with the MaxMind database is AOL users. All AOL users are routed through US proxies so your letting international AOL users in countries like France, UK, Germany, Brazil, and a few others see YPN ads.

On average its only 1-2% accuracy. But if your site has a generally large proportion of traffic from one of more of these countries you should go out fo your way and invest in the paid script.

Yahoo won't ban you for 1-2% international traffic, but if lets say half of your traffic is form Brazil, and half of them use AOL, then 25% of your traffic is going to be leaking Brazil traffic.

slava, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  9. quaffapint

quaffapint Active Member

Best Answers:
    I created mySimpleAds for DP YPN users to allow for simple geotargetting - of course it does more beyond that :). It is an alternative to phpadsnew for folks that are mostly interested in the geotargeting pieces and were having setup or performance issues with phpadsnew. Its simple to setup and its quick. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

-Matt

quaffapint, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  10. bellweather

bellweather Peon

Best Answers:
    BUT.. if they are being routed through AOL proxies, that means that they are getting US ips.. so you should be safe right? Unless I misread this?

bellweather, Jan 16, 2007 IP
    Tracey12 likes this.
  11. slava

slava Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you are missing something. They are getting US IP's even though they are not US people. YPN definately has a better database then the one that maxmind offers for free so they know who is US and who is not. So if your showing 25% of all impressions to people in Brazil who use AOL, then Yahoo might ban you for excessive international traffic.

slava, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  12. Pelle

Pelle Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used mySimpleAds for about a month on a site with 1M+ daily pageviews and so far it has worked nicely.
    The guy (Matt?) behind the software turned out to be really helpful and went out of his way to help me get it to work - not that it's particularly difficult to install (it's actually a breeze), but my mySQL was ancient which caused some headache.

Pelle, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  13. xharrisonx

xharrisonx Peon

Best Answers:
    has anybody geo targeted ads by what language the browser says (en-us/en-uk)?

xharrisonx, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  14. ideadom

ideadom Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure if it helps but this geo-targeting script will show the targeted marketing messages right in images.

ideadom, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  15. royteb

royteb Peon

Best Answers:
    This might be what you are looking for, it displays affiliate ad code blocks based on visitors geo ip country location.

It handles the affiliate code from sites like Amazon, CJ .. in fact almost any affiliate code, affiliate image banner or text can be used with this geo targeting script

geolocationaffiliatemarketing.com

royteb, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  16. elenana

elenana Guest

Best Answers:
    elenana, Mar 3, 2010 IP
  17. evanlambda

evanlambda Peon

Best Answers:
    The IP2Location and MaxMind are both good, but you get really spotty results with the free version and the paid versions are way too much. I wrote a geo targeting script where I combined and pruned all existing IP databases into one very precise database. Plus its super easy to use (only 1 line of code). I also added a feature where you can get the closest city of a certain population. The link is lambdageoip(.)com.

evanlambda, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  18. Drew Bennett

Drew Bennett Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, this thread came up #1 for 'geo-targeting script' on Google so I read through it. I basically was using a lander that read "Hi I'm Lacy from <your city>, <your state>". I wanted a script where I could display the nearest big city, so I stumbled to this thread and checked out MaxMind, hostip, ipinfodb, and Lambda GeoIP.

After a lot of trying to hack up a solution with MaxMind, I found this thread and Lambda GeoIP. It took me a few minutes to install but Evan helped me get my landing page setup exactly how I wanted. I'm glad I found it because otherwise I would've had to go to elance or something and hired someone to code one up for me.

Anyway I know this thread is old, I just wanted to say thank you to Evan for helping me out and his awesome script.

Drew Bennett, Oct 4, 2010 IP
  19. JerrySK

JerrySK Peon

Best Answers:
    Kind of the same deal as Drew, but I found this thread via Google and I just want to say that Lambda GeoIP is great. The script itself is good, but I had trouble getting it installed on my server (I have some unusual settings) and Evan from Lambda GeoIP stayed with me until I got it up. Not only that, but he showed me exactly how to use the forwarding feature to do exactly what I wanted (redirect Chinese and African traffic to different offers).

Anyway, I just wanted to give Evan and Lambda GeoIP a shout out for being extremely patient with me and going above and beyond what was required.

-Jerry

JerrySK, Nov 16, 2010 IP
  20. peonboy

peonboy Peon

Best Answers:
    i'd rather stay with free maxmind version than has to buy lambdageoip.
    just the power of free script

peonboy, Nov 17, 2010 IP