1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's so good about DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Germz, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Let's get one things straight, I'm not championing anything other than my own views. I made reference to that post simply because I stumbled across it and didn't like what I saw.

Try not to come across as so patronizing, it won't get you a paid job in Dmoz, you'll always remain a plain old volunteer, :rolleyes: I know exactly what the post said. If you'd bother to ask I would have told you the primary reason for posting that link was my horror at reading this part.

There's only one thing that confuses me, why people like you are defending the indefensible by trying to deflect from the main points. :confused:

JamieG, Apr 7, 2008 IP
    threebuckchuck likes this.
  2. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would I want to get a paid job with the ODP? I have a successful career that that has nothing to do with IT or the internet. The ODP is a hobby, getting to talk to people like you is a just a bonus. I have wondered why a big shot lawyer like you bothers with a tin pot directory like the one in your sig. Is that a hobby too?

As an editor I too was horrified that AOL neglected their hardware/back ups in this way. What I can’t understand is why were you?

nebuchadrezzar, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. :D

With so many comedians among the DMOZ editors, they should start their own comedy club. :D

gworld, Apr 7, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  4. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I have to concede the guy is incredibly funny.

Here's a joke for you, what's a volunteer editor with dmoz got in common with a pubic hair on a toilet seat?

Sooner or later they'll get pissed off! :D

oh! Sorry I missed this bit nebuchadrezzar;

Why was I horrified? Because all the hard work done by good people like you was lost due to the ineptitude of people who are paid to make sure it doesn't happen. Reason enough.

JamieG, Apr 7, 2008 IP
    gworld likes this.
  5. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Aw gee Jamie, I go and re-add gworld to my ignore list and you now you go quoting him. I am not sure that he would get that British humor with his Canadian/Iranian back ground.
    Oh. I see. You can relax, it all got restored and no work was lost. Nice of you to be so concerned.

6. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They have already The DMOZ Blog. All are Masters of BS. :D

popotalk, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  7. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    :D He did.
    Nice one.

JamieG, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  8. falguni1

falguni1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Webmasters are interested in DMOZ. It gives good ranking in google.

falguni1, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  9. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hush falguni1. We will have none of that sort of talk here. Many of the members here will tell you that a ODP link is worthless and that it has as much value as writing a link down on a peice of paper and flushing it down the toilet. Apparently a link from a sig at DP is worth many times a junky ODP link.

10. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure what abuse of good intentions you're talking about?

Aol Staff work for AOL, so naturely they would get paid, hopefully well paid. It's their real life jobs. I, personally, wouldn't want to work for a corporation, too much infighting and politics. It's a dirty world to operate in.

Anything below that are volunteer positions that get no pay of any kind.

As far as skrenta goes, I've talked to him personally, have you?

My impression is that he hates the corporate AOL as much as you do. My own personal opinion of him is this:
    He's Tom Sawyer. He came up with a good idea and he invited suckers like me to come help him paint the fence. Then, he sold us out for money.

Does that mean he's a bad apple? Maybe, maybe not, I don't have all the details to make an informed decision about that.

Does it mean that I should disrespect what he created and accomplished because of it? Absolutely not. As the founder of the Directory and the top editor of all editors, I have a great deal of respect for him.

Do the shenanigans at the corporate level diminish my own motivations and contributions? Hell no, why should it? I had nothing to do with it, and it's none of my business, my concerns are working to create a good resource.

If AOL or anybody else who owns DMOZ makes money on it, so what? What's your beef, they also pay all the bills. I think they're entitled to make a profit or at least break even. They don't invite us to their board meetings, why should they?

That doesn't have a thing to do with what editors do or why editors devote their time to doing it. :) We're not as ignorant as you seem to think we are.

We have a spot on the map to operate in, a set of Guidelines to work within, just enough corporate help to keep it going, a goal, and the freedom to self govern and take it where we want to take it.

I think it's a pretty sweet deal, myself. We get no interference from AOL, only support. Granted, we would all like more resources and support, we've been neglected for way too long, but, things are starting to move in our direction, so I have nothing but high hopes.

Hell, man, if things go down the tube, so what? Ya think I don't have other things I can be doing? :D

crowbar, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  11. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I'll believe you, thousands wouldn't. :)

JamieG, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  12. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I corrected your post Jamie. ;)
    But why did you say that ? Do they lie ? Do they twist facts ? Are they full of smokescreen and BS ? :)

btw dmoz.org is back in English version because the bastard in Germany found out that its worthless. :D

popotalk, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Is there any senior editor at all that you don't have the great deal of respect for? :rolleyes: :D

gworld, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  14. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you got me there, you're right, I do respect senior editors as being more knowledgeable and experienced in Directory matters than I am.

Of course, if I got promoted to higher privleges because I ass kissed my way there, what would be the purpose, if I wasn't qualified or experienced enough to use the tools or do the job?

I don't need titles for anything, or power, or more responsibilities. I have no websites, so you couldn't accuse me of unfairly promoting those. I have a RL business, so I'm already a CEO.

There must be some reason you think I want higher permissions. What is it?

crowbar, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I thought so. :rolleyes:

I don't know, you tell me.

I think you mentioned before that this behavior was part of your character. :)

gworld, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  16. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    What worries me, is that I like most of you guys, you don't even irritate me anymore, :D.

crowbar, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  17. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo Directory is king, and with much less controversy.

snowbird, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You should be worried. Honesty and integrity can be very contiguous and before you know it, they will kick you out of DMOZ. Do you remember oneeye? :D

gworld, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  19. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I think oneeye left on his own, but I like all those Aussies. I never met one I didn't like, at least, and I liked oneeye. People can disagree and still like each other.

The things I try to explain about the ODP are my honest beliefs as I understand them, nothing more. It was an outsiders passion about a category that brought me back to editing, and that person is now an editor, :).

crowbar, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Oneeye got in trouble after coming here to defend DMOZ and instead learned to open both eyes and see the truth about the corruption in DMOZ. His departure from DMOZ was just a few short steps before getting kicked out for starting unpopular threads in DMOZ internal forum about the organizational corruption in DMOZ. ;)

gworld, Apr 7, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.