1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's my problem with Google?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Eli, Aug 17, 2004.

We are among the best manufactories in the world for our products for a lot of years of experience. And I learned the SEO a little to use on our web. But all our four major key words rank very low. Even after some stores and shops that carried variety kinds of products.

Where am I wrong? How can I improve? Being new in the SEO world, I feel so weak to handle it myself. But I saw a light after I signed up with DP yesterday.

Thanks for any assistance.

Eli, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  2. Eli

Eli Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry that I could not find a way to move this post to the upper column when I realized it's in the wrong place. Hope I can be lucky to get some reply here. Thanks.

Eli, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  3. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    What KW's are you aiming your site at?

SEbasic, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  4. hergo

hergo Peon

Best Answers:
    Get some more links.

Googles only showing 1 backlink with - a PR of 1, a ton of links, and the page isnt even cached.

I reckon some quality links would help you a ton.

hergo, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  5. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    For "tapestry wall hangings" there is 56 searchs per day and for "Aubusson" it is 49 per day but there is none for "handmade wool area rugs"

So by using the Keyword suggestion tool you can see which one to concentrate on - you may have others.

Then you need to concentrate on that phrase/s and use the Title,H1, and anchor text in links to use only that phrase/s.

You should have a site map and if I were you I would take my details off the first page and put them onto a "contact" page so that they have to enter your site and it gives you another page that you can optimise for another phrase. Each page should point back to the first page with the appropriate KW at the footer.

To really get anywhere you will need links from other sites but also internally from each page.

Read more of this forum - use the search to find info :)

Foxy, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  6. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to mention, just because you are one of the best manufacturers in the world for your products does not automatically mean you should rank well, maybe start off telling us your KWs and what SEO you have carried out. Depending on your KWs you may need to learn more than a little SEO

l234244, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  7. Eli

Eli Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not even know what KW means. :confused:

Eli, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  8. Eli

Eli Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I might have understand what KW is. It is key words, right?

Our web are targeted at four key words including "aubusson rugs", "needlepoint rugs", "aubusson tapestries" and "needlepoint cushions".

Please let me know what phasable measures should I take to be listed higher in Google.

I am learning but still I have a bit difficulties reading english fast.

Eli, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  9. Eli

Eli Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much, Foxy. I certainly would follow all of your opinions and I know that DP is really a forum that I should check everyday. I've made it for my homepage now and would recommend to any friends who would like to get this type of knowledge.

Eli, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  10. Eli

Eli Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. But how to? Forgive me for my silly question. :p

Eli, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  11. Eli

Eli Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you and I have mentioned my KWs above. Please helf me check if there are something wrong.

Eli, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  12. janetmorn

janetmorn Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello. KW is just short for keywords. You need to do some keyphrase/keyword research and then optimize each page accordingly.

janetmorn, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  13. Eli

Eli Peon

Best Answers:
    OK. Thanks for contributing the first post to me. ha ha. I am checking if there are tools in this site to help me selecting better KWs and optimize the pages accordingly later.

By the way, welcome to DP although I am also new here. :D

Eli, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  14. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would try to target the word "aubusson" in general other than to derivations of it.

Help Desk, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  15. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Foxy, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  16. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I had a quick look. Here are a some questions and observations you may find helpfull before you plunge deep into the "unknown"...

On your home page there is hardly any text, I found the text on a secondary page (http://www.finehomecrafts.com/needlepoint-rugs.htm)

The pictures are 87k etc when I ran one just through fireworks I reduced it to 7.2k without any loss. Pictures seem not to have alt tag set thus there is no explanaition when I move my mouse over....

Your product requires to "catch the eye" Try to get the best product pictures you can, consider showing just a bit of detail instead of the whole thing enticing visitors to go deeper...

SEO
    homepage...
    <meta name="Description" content="The source of direct Chinese handmade wool Needlepoint,Aubusson area rugs and tapestry wall hangings">

no text to back this up... no H1 ....

secondary page
    <title>needlepoint cushions</title>
    <meta name="description" content="We make wool Needlepoint cushions,hand stitched needlepoint cushion covers with velvet backing and fringes">

title allows some more words....
    description the word cover(s) not used anywhere else on the page.......

Only ever use words that are reflected in the text of a page and preferably are also used in a link as anchor text (anchor text is the text that is underlined when given a link) to another page....

Obviously this is not required for stop words - stop words are typical fill words like and or is must etc..

No obvious link (exchange) page and no site map.

Hope this helps - Best of luck
    M

expat, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  17. janetmorn

janetmorn Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Eli. You are very welcome and thank you for the welcome to DP. I have been using their keyword/keyphrase suggestion tool and would recommend it as well. Good Luck!

P.S. The suggestions given above by the other posters are good advice. Some site content re-work is definitely in order.

janetmorn, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  18. Eli

Eli Peon

Best Answers:
    Eli, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  19. Eli

Eli Peon

Best Answers:
    I appreciate your kindness to spend efforts on my site. And it's very feasible for me to follow your tips. Thank you.

Eli, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  20. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Do you really want to outrank your retailers though?

You'd become a competitor of your sales reps as it were.

I would just make sure new trade enquiries could easily found me through the regular means of business directories etc. If yuo do want to be found, IMO it is better to rank well for the general product range than the actual products. Or limit to key phrases including the word 'manufacturer'.

T0PS3O, Aug 17, 2004 IP