1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whats Better:subdomain, new domain on same server, new domain on diff server?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by t2dman, Apr 25, 2004.

Shawn, I see that you have used a subdomain for your forum.

Has anyone been able to get/currently getting top ten placing same phrase for both main domain, and subdomain? With heavy interlinking between them, any linking?

I have had experience with separate domains on same server being penalised by Google. Used to be 1+2 my site, 3+4 clients site for same phrase, clients site on same server, linking between the sites. Now clients site 90+ for that term (starting to improve in last 2 weeks).

Or is it better to just keep on same domain, and have forum in its own directory?

Keen on insight before I make my forum public.

Thanks

t2dman, Apr 25, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    For SEO purposes, it's probably better to have a sub-domain, then you have the potential for listings in Google. (2 for www and 2 for your forum sub-domain)

But the reason I did it like that is not for SEO purposes, rather so they could be on different servers.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 25, 2004 IP
  3. ginostylz

ginostylz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    New domain on same server is though as not the best thing to do because of the same IP address. A new domain on new server would be the way to go.
    Subdomains are kind of cool but since they do have seo as an imbound link value they are taken advantage of.
    I'll drag someone outside for a minute about why its not all that good. This may be the spam Google is trying to eliminate.
    http://e-commerce-directory.com/ Notice that every link in its NavBar contains a subdomain "page.domain.com" rather than a file like "domain.com/page.htm" Google used to love it and count them all as imbounds.
    This same guy has a near duplicate site but rather than subdomains, he put up unique domains! Now if they are all on the same server then the IP address will be the same.

A long as your not going overboard, you could make your next website anyway you like. But if you are adding just a forum to an existing website, then a subdomain is a great Idea. If the content is completely unrelated set up a new domain. If you like the same host keep them for the next one. Just don't set up every website you create on the same webserver and interlink them heavily.

ginostylz, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  4. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, a different server is of much greater weight for SEO purposes.
    But also uploads should be from different IPs or Google and the others might understand that the owners of interlinking sites are the same therefore reducing the importance of the links.

uca, Jan 6, 2005 IP