1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's better - SEO friendly or good-looking?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by miksy123, Sep 1, 2010.

Hello,

I would like to sell various services (web design, link building etc.) and I'm building a website about my services (and products). What do you think - should I focus on making a SEO friendly design or I should try building a good looking website with fancy graphics? I know I should focus on both but what is more important for a website selling this kind of stuff? Tell me what's your opinion!

Thanks!!!

miksy123, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  2. ngonnella

ngonnella Peon

Best Answers:
    This is an interesting question. I myself work in partnership with a web designer in all my businesses (I do SEO).

The answer is, it depends on what you see as the add on. In my opinion, if you are offering web design then you need to have a site that looks sexy. Nobody is going to use a web designer that has a crappy looking site unless they have some serious credibility and client testimonials behind them.

A good looking site will draw in web design clients at which point you have the opportunity to sell the 'add on' (SEO, link building etc.) It's just a case of explaining to your client that there's no point having a nice looking site if nobody sees it.

Also, there is no reason why a site can't be both fancy looking and SEO friendly. It's rare to find a site which has both these qualities but it makes all the difference and sets your company apart. You can have flash elements while keeping the bones html.

I have 3 sites which are top of google first page for their keywords and I think they are also the best looking sites in their sector.
    persian-rug-cleaning.co.uk
    ethosmarblecare.co.uk
    ethoscarpetcare.com

So it can be done!

ngonnella, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  3. miksy123

miksy123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the answer! Just as I thought...I'm selling web designs so it should look good, but I think I should focus on SEO (to find more clients) and put some testimonials as a proof of my design knowledge. What do you think about that?

miksy123, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  4. rajgvt

rajgvt Peon

Best Answers:
    I think both are important for the website promotion.

rajgvt, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  5. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    Web design. As others have said, people will dismiss your services if your site is not exceptional. Your designs though should include fundamental on-page optimization. And your designs should focus on content. It is easy enough to tell a customer, "content is king, not tricks".

longcall911, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  6. goliveira1990

goliveira1990 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What good is a beautiful website if no one can find it...

goliveira1990, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  7. CSM

CSM Active Member

Best Answers:
    CSM, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  8. Anveto

Anveto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It also depends on how you are marketing your site, if you can do SEO that is good of course, however it might not be worth focusing on as much if most of your clients come to you via word of mouth, referalls, or maybe some classifieds ads sites. I am a designer and I do focus on SEO a little but there is not much of a need for me since my reputation by word of mouth and ads on classified sites and directories bring me most of my traffic. I also have clients who never see my site or portfolio :) they see a clients website and just call me and say "Hey! Design something like this for me, ill send you a check"

Anveto, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  9. robbybeth333

robbybeth333 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sometimes a well designed website can actually make people buy or not buy based on what the product is. A awesome looking site can be just entertaining to the eyes but doesnt get the visitor to take action.

robbybeth333, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  10. cyberlight

cyberlight Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO is the most important.........Simple works the best...for
    your site..

The most beautiful and visually appealing site is nothing
    without TRAFFIC.

cyberlight, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  11. jimmy6281

jimmy6281 Guest

Best Answers:
    i agree with rajgvt's opinion!

jimmy6281, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  12. indiadesign

indiadesign Member

Best Answers:
    Both are very important. It is difficult to find which one is more important.

indiadesign, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  13. Custom Content

Custom Content Peon

Best Answers:
    focus first on seo then shift your attention to the graphics/design.

Custom Content, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  14. supercharge

supercharge Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. There is really no reason why you shouldn't be able to achieve both. Ugly sites are not good for SEO just because they are ugly. Often you can get the same effect with a better looking site.

There are some examples where ugly sites convert better, but then you just want people to click on your affiliate links, not to like your site or to trust you as a person. If you have a business where you are the one that is selling something, I see no point in having a crappy site.

supercharge, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  15. parkerkrist

parkerkrist Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all SEO and then UI (user Interface) Use gradient colors and Stress more on Typography, and u will see that there will be no requirement of using fancy graphics u can give best to u r website with colors and typography itself..

parkerkrist, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  16. sajan1kota

sajan1kota Active Member

Best Answers:
    Both of them are equally important. Visitor will not know if your website exists or not if you do not do SEO friendly website. If you do SEO friendly website and forget about UI then visitor will not spend time on your website. Both go hand in hand.

sajan1kota, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  17. parkerkrist

parkerkrist Peon

Best Answers:
    yes SEO and design both plays equal role ..but you should know what type of designe..

parkerkrist, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  18. lahsiv

lahsiv Peon

Best Answers:
    If your website are describing about your services then no need to do seo because website traffic is main.

lahsiv, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  19. tompatrick

tompatrick Peon

Best Answers:
    a website can be both good looking and seo friendly If the site is Good looking doesn't mean that the site can't be SEO friendly and vice-a-versa, It all depends on the way you portray things on the internet

tompatrick, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  20. spanishmex

spanishmex Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree with goliveira, try to make a modest design, i don't think your clients will care
    about your page design if they find you in the first places in google, once they search!

spanishmex, Sep 8, 2010 IP