1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's a Respectable Gravity for Publishers??

Discussion in 'ClickBank' started by bizjam55, Sep 8, 2009.

I know this varies, but whats a good ballpark figure for gravity as a publisher?
    What do most affiliates seek in terms of gravity?

Thanks...

bizjam55, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  2. hornetss

hornetss Peon

Best Answers:
    I think anything above 20 is a respectable gravity

hornetss, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  3. gcashhome

gcashhome Peon

Best Answers:
    Higher Gravity means good converting product + High Competition
    Low Gravity mean non converting product or No proper promotion.

Any product with a gravity of 20+ should be able to convert. Atleast its worth a try.
    I hope other affiliates will agree.

gcashhome, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  4. lotstosay

lotstosay Guest

Best Answers:
    Well I beg to differ, 30 and above I would say is a SAFE percentage rate. 20 is ok but eventually it will pull down whereas 30 and above seems to be the fine line and pulls up

lotstosay, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  5. Skagenweb

Skagenweb Guest

Best Answers:
    Doesn't really matter. Some products are undiscovered and have low gravities.

Skagenweb, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  6. willyboy104

willyboy104 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Gravity is not the most important part of looking for a decent product to promote on Clickbank I would say that ensuring the sales page converts would be a better way of spending you're time. As all gravity means is that *this many people have sold at least one copy in the last 8 weeks*.

An affiliate could of sent 1,000's of hops and only converted one which means they are either sending low targeted traffic or the sales page does not convert that well.

Instead of looking at gravity check their sales page would you buy the product, check the price is it suitable for that market, check affiliate resources, check what support they have for both customers and affiliates, see if you can get a review copy then promote it.

willyboy104, Sep 9, 2009 IP
    teapoint likes this.
  7. markov

markov Peon

Best Answers:
    Low gravity products also convert well.
    Gravity means potential. But it may not materialize every time.

markov, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  8. jacky8

jacky8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I go for anything above 10

jacky8, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  9. Ripped

Ripped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The guy from Commission Blueprint explains this very well. There's a part where he explains how he picked products that made him thousands per day. He calls it the '30/100' rule I think.

The rule basically states, choose a product which has a payout of at least 30$ and gravity of at least a 100.

Of course, lower gravity products can be profitable as well.

Ripped, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  10. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but it just doesn't, at all.

"Gravity" is a very precisely defined term, clearly explained on Clickbank's site. It's an indication of the number of affiliates who have each made one or more sales of a product. High gravity does not necessarily correlate with either high sales or a high conversion-rate. This subject is hugely misunderstood (especially in this forum, it seems!).

If product A has 100 affiliates who have each recently made 1 sale from huge traffic because the sales page's conversion-rate is dreadful but the product had a professional launch (as often happens) it will have an enormous gravity. If product B has only 5 professional affiliates who have made 1,000 sales each, it's gravity may be as low as 2.5. Many of the people posting above are seriously mistaken in their replies on this subject.

Sorry, but this also nonsense.

alexa_s, Sep 9, 2009 IP
    jacky8 likes this.
  11. jacky8

jacky8 Active Member

Best Answers:

Alexa, that was great.. I generally look for products above 10. But most of us always prefer to promote products with higher gravity.. I think the above explanation will make things clearer about what gravity is..
    I think that is the way to contribute to the forum!!

jacky8, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  12. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    Many thanks, you're as tactful as ever. It struck me after posting that some people might think that "sorry but this is nonsense" is exactly how not to contribute to the forum!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

In an attempt to atone, I'll explain how commissions are worked out ...

You start with the retail price (let's take $47 as a realistic example).

Then you deduct 7.5% for Clickbank's retailer's cut (that leaves $43.47 as the wholesale price, as it were).

Then you deduct a fixed $1 "stocking charge" - I pay more for stockings, myself - (that leaves $42.47).

Then your commission percentage (say 60%) is applied to the net figure ($42.47) giving you your net earnings per sale ($25.48 in this case).

Hope it helps anyone above, who was wondering.

I hear you about "gravity", of course. And I admit that if a product has a consistently high gravity figure, then there's some sort of implicit suggestion (though "gravity" doesn't measure this at all and doesn't pretend to) that either longstanding affiliates are happy with the sales page's conversion-rate or that there's a constant turnover of affiliates with people trying to promote the product and dropping out but still being replaced by new affiliates continually because they're attracted (for reasons best known to themselves) by the high gravity figure.

Even Clickbank admit now, in their own explanation, that high gravity products may be very competitive to promote.

For myself, like many affiliates, I stopped wasting time and effort and money and became profitable when I started promoting low gravity products. :D

As Jamie Holt (owner of Affilimax Conversions) always explains it: gravity, in itself, just isn't something you should take into account when selecting products to promote. But I do anyway, I admit, because (not being a professional superaffiliate) I won't touch high gravity products where you're up against competitors with huge Adwords budgets and will struggle for traffic to your pre-selling site.

The one thing you most need to know, as an affiliate, is the conversion-rate. And this information just isn't available on Clickbank. (In contrast, it is at click2sell.eu, but it's usually not too inspiring, and most conversion rates there are dreadfully low).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    alexa_s, Sep 9, 2009 IP
    NCMedia likes this.
  13. Ripped

Ripped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm gonna try to put it in a very simple manner.

High gravity, usually means that there is a huge market, and a solid conversion rate. The fact that many affiliates managed to get at least one sale means that the product really does convert.

How do I know? From personal experience. I'm a vendor and I own both high gravity and low gravity products.

From a vendor perspective i can tell you that the high gravity is a fact that the product is profitable. Not just for the vendor, but both for the affiliate. Higher gravity usually means a bigger market, which means a lot of traffic volume which can get you sales.

If you're a good marketer, if you know what you're doing, than you shouldn't be afraid of competition. You should jump in to the profitable market, and not be scared away from the competition. I Mean, look at the top 5 Clickbank products. All of them convert, no doubt in my mind about it, they do have super-affiliates generating XXXX$ Per Day. The super affiliates are banking in with these high gravity products. You have to think big, to make it big.

On the other side, if your goal is to get a sale or two per day, then go ahead find a low gravity site and start promoting. The high-gravity products/niches is where the money is at. If you're not willing to jump in just because you're afraid of competition means that you need to work on your confidence and your marketing skills.

Ask any super-affiliate generating at least 20 sales per day, you'll see that they mostly go for higher gravity products. Watch the Commission Blueprint videos, the speaker is explaining this very well. The guy is generating XXX.XXX$ monthly from clickbank products, and he always says to pick a high gravity product because it's proven to perform.

Ripped, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  14. willyboy104

willyboy104 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just on a note because Alexa mentioned Click 2 Sell if anyone actually wants to promote products there just remember the affiliate cookie's do NOT overwrite themselves. Therefore the first affiliate to land a cookie with a potential customer will get the commission if and when they finally bite the bullet and purchase the product.

With Clickbank this is different the cookie is overwritten with each affiliate link which I believe is better personally, at least in a competitive market.

willyboy104, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  15. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    There speaks a vendor. ;)

I strongly disagree with you. How do I know? From personal experience. I'm an affiliate and I've promoted both low gravity and high gravity products (and many of each).

High gravity usually means that the product has had a professional launch involving joint ventures, has had a big promotional/advertising budget, and that a really large number of affiliates have spent money on promoting it. Unsurprisingly they will have a sale or two each, even though the conversion-rate may be dreadful. Remember that gravity measures the number of affiliates, not the number of sales. It's self-perpetuating. Gravity attracts affiliates. No indication they're making money. They're often not.

Higher gravity may well, as you say, mean a "bigger market", but that can be a bad thing for affiliates, rather than a good thing. It all depends who you're competing with and how.

It doesn't follow at all that it's going to be easier for an affiliate to make money on a higher gravity product, and many of us have exactly the opposite experience.

So, we'll have to agree to differ. No great surprise, I think - we have different perspectives as vendor and affiliate. :p

alexa_s, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  16. Ripped

Ripped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm also speaking from personal experience, both as an affiliate an as a vendor. As an affiliate, I've had the most success promoting high gravity products like run your car with water and earth4energy. Lower gravity products never converted as well for me. They did convert, but I've had more success with higher gravity ones. It was also a lot easier to get huge traffic with high gravity products, big markets, huge search volumes for tons of keywords.

As far as the JV's and the professional launches that you claim are responsible for high gravity, that is mostly correct for Internet Marketing Product Launches. You can easily notice if this is the case, if you see the gravity rapidly rocketing up, and then, after a short period of time, rapidly plumetting down.

Products like Earth4energy lets say, didn't get to a high gravity because of JV launches or anything like that. It was because they converted very well in a big market, affiliates started jumping it, and here it is today, among the top Clickbank products.

The non-IM products that have a constant high gravity are profitable, and usually stay on the top for months/years unlike the IM products which last much shorter.

I've never ventured into the IM niche as an affiliate or a vendor, but for the non-IM niche products with high gravity, I can pretty much says that they are all very profitable, and maintain a stable gravity over a longer period of time.

I'm particularly impressed with 'Burn The Fat Feed the Muscle' , a product which was published in 2003, and after 6 years it is still going strong, and still maintaining a gravity of almost 200. -> http://cb-analytics.com/product.php?id=BURNTHEFAT

By excluding high gravity products in your promotion you're leaving a lot of money on the table.

I think the best thing to do would be to promote both higher and lower gravity products. By not promoting high gravity products, you're leaving a lot of money on the table.

Ripped, Sep 9, 2009 IP
    NCMedia likes this.
  17. NCMedia

NCMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great thread - and great point of view Alexa. I think both you and Ripped have valid points. There is indeed a lot to be said about both ends of the scale. As there is re natural growth vs. shady launches.

+1 to both of you
    N.

NCMedia, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  18. ebooks21

ebooks21 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Alexa, many times low gravity means that the market hasn't been discovered yet and it can be a great oportunity to make money in a less competitive niche. Btw, thanks alexa for sharing all this info with us!

ebooks21, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  19. santi70

santi70 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, I had been told at varies times to look for for products with a minimum of 5 and others a minimum of 15. Never heard of a minimum of 100 before though. It is very interesting information what the others have posted here. I can see it from both their points of view. Thanks for sharing.

santi70, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  20. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    I think these are perhaps not unreasonable guidelines for many people, though a little arbitrary and unreliable.

I'm actually looking very seriously at the moment at a product with a gravity of 0.5, but it's not one I'd expect many potential affiliates to be interested in. But there it is: if you have the right market available, there's nothing easier to promote than something with no affiliate competition to speak of. ;)

No, indeed. That's a myth put about by (a) vendors of products with gravities over 100, wanting to maintain their affiliate numbers as people drop out because the conversion-rate's bad (quite often), and (b) people who mistakenly imagine that there's a direct correlation between gravity and sales, or between gravity and conversion-rates. :eek:

alexa_s, Sep 10, 2009 IP