1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What you need to do to get Adsense up and running

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by jackxu, Jan 7, 2005.

form: http://www.gdmzly.com/google/1.htmWhat to do:

1. First things First (assuming you have a website already) Apply to the program.

Get over to Google AdSense's webpage, and sign up. The sooner you sign up, the sooner you'll be able to start making a profit (or a better profit) from your site. Take a time out right now, and do it if you haven't already.

2. Start building some pages.

Your best bet is to build pages that are relevant to you. Things you know about. Because the better you can write about what you know, the more people with similar interests will want to visit your site (and view your ads.) If your ads have similar interests, that in itself will improve your click-thru rate.

Webdesignhelper.co.uk has some good free templates if your html skills are a bit lacking. You're viewing one of their templates now (with a few modifications).

3. KEYWORDS!

Using higher paying keywords in your site is one of the tricks to maximizing profits using your Adsense ads. How do you find out what words pay high? First of all, if you have adsense, it might be a good idea to sign up for AdWords as well. That way, you can use AdWords to experiment with prices of words for your particular site.

Another tool is using Overture's Max Bids option on their search engine. Note that "Google Adsense" doesn't actually net that big on the bids. However, "Bank Account" does, and "merchant account" does, even higher. BTW, Star Trek pays better than Star Wars at the time of this writing.

Keep this in mind when creating your website. Before you create it, brainstorm every possible aspect of your site, page by page if you have to. Come up with one- or two-word possible keywords, and run them through Overture. Use the price results to plan your strategy when it comes to the final draft.

4. Keep your content Tight!

If you're writing about Star Trek, don't go off too much about Star Wars. Google bots can't read into sarcasm. If it sees too much Star Wars, then the ads will display Star Wars-relevant ads, that won't attract the Star Trek fans.

As long as your pages are clear, direct and to-the-point, people will be more willing to click thru the adwords. When this happens, your revenue increases.

5. What's in a name?

What do google bots look for? Simply put, it reads your website. Start with the name. If your page is going to be on Star Trek, then name it something approriate, such as star-trek.htm or star_trek.htm. This gives the site a starting point, something for the bots to read. If each of your pages has a high-paying keyword as its title, this should help your ad results grow.

6. Last, but not least - Placement

Placement means something here. Whatever you do, don't just throw them everywhere. It looks sloppy, and it's obvious what you're trying to do. Place them in a manner that will catch your viewer's eyes. Top or middle, right hand side usually does the tricks.

How many people out there have said how much they hate banner ads? This may be a tip of importance. Banner ads, traditionally at the top or bottom middle of pages, have become weakened as a form of advertising. People just ignore them. That being said, it's available, but don't bother.

jackxu, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  2. my3cents

my3cents Peon

Best Answers:
    Good post.

my3cents, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  3. silenced

silenced Peon

Best Answers:
    good brief this article can helpful for newbies

silenced, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  4. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you jackxu!

Exactly what I needed, I just signed up 2 days ago and I was approved yesterday!

uca, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  5. goldensea80

goldensea80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well done! Thanks!

goldensea80, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  6. goldensea80

Best Answers:
    However, anyone tell me about adesense channel?

7. my3cents

my3cents Peon

Best Answers:
    Think of channels as parameters that allow you to track and report on the performance of individual adsense ads. For instance, you can create a channel called "homepage". When you paste you adsense code on your homepage, you can include the following parameter:

google_ad_channel ="XXXXXXXXXX";

Where the XXXX is your channel number. Use Google's Ad code generation tool, it will take care of inserting this for you after you select the channel.

After you have embedded your different channel parameters in your various adsense ad spots, you can then use the reporting tool to see the performance of a particular ad spot (channel)....

Hope this helps!

my3cents, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  8. goldensea80

Best Answers:
    I was confused between two kind of channel. OK, it is clear right now. DP means the custom channel ID:
    Thanks