1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What would you spend $100 of marketing on?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by mizt, Feb 8, 2005.

Ok guys, had my site up and running for a little over a month. Still needs more content which grows rapidly for every post made (which is little right now). Make a long story short I'm 16 and would like to make this site and maybe another one in the future my summer job instead of working a mcdonalds. Say if I took a $100 out of the bank account to invest in marketing the site which route would you go.

1. Hire SEO (cheap india based most likely)
    2. Buy links (If so alot of low pr or many high pr)
    3. PPC Campaign
    Or something else...

My keywords are "saltwater fly fishing"
    http://saltwaterflyfishers.com
    and "Saltwater Fly Tying"
    http://saltwaterflytying.net

#3 and #1 in MSN. Google and Yahoo Im no where to be found but just installed a mod_rewrite to hopefully help me out. All ideas and feedback is appericated.

mizt, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  2. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No decent SEO will cost you only $100.

joeychgo, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    if you can get an ROI on 100$ in PPC, you shouldn't limit yourself to doing it once :)

disgust, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  4. Gede

Gede Peon

Best Answers:
    In your case?

I would spend it on two extra domains, create the gallery on one of them and the forum on the other.

Get lots of pictures about flyfishing.

Buy a few candles, and pray for forum visitors.

And spend the rest, about 70 dollars I suppose, on whatever you like.

Gede, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  5. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Spend the $100 on 20 litres of coke and sugary substances, read this entire forum and do it yourself..I'm pretty sure this forum contains almost everything on SEO you could need. ;)

Design Agent, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  6. JoeO

JoeO Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with disgust, I say try a little with pay per click. And if you are able to turn a profit with it then it is worthwhile and you should continue doing it past your $100 since it will be paying for itself.

I am guessing with a limited budget like $100 you should read up and do as much SEO as you can by yourself, as it is not that difficult as long as you have time to read a lot... Teach yourself how to fish and you'll eat for a life time ;)

JoeO, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  7. mizt

mizt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Been reading them quite religously. You'll kill me when you speak of 85,000 backlinks or what not. My #1 competiton has 2,400 in google (but then again has 102,000 pages indexed).

mizt, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  8. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some good advice already,

I would agree just to read these forums and do your own SEO. Don't pay for backlinks, at least not at first. What is the main revenue of your site?

NewComputer, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  9. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Take all of our advice, read the forums, spend 100 on PPC to help you workout which keywords are good for you (and which might give you a decent adsense return). The start links.

Also, its not about 00000s of backlinks anymore... it helps obviously. Relevance and strength are much more important. Get quality and you can have many less:
    1. Dmoz and directories
    2. Unique URLS
    3. Relevant sites (esp homepages) - with good PR (the PR gives you a clue to their strength/ popularity).
    3. Use different anchor texts

That should get you started.

Design Agent, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  10. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Also keep an eye on your log files for search terms in the search engines. You would be amazed at how many little 'nuggets' people find by looking at them. Not competitive terms that bring traffic can really get you rolling. I have two that do amazingly well and I stumbled upon them by reviewing my log files and the terms to find me. They are now the #1 and #3 terms used to find one of my sites.

NewComputer, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  11. fromkhun

fromkhun Guest

Best Answers:
    there are some decent SEO will cost you only $100. but in top 1000 not top 10 ranking ...lol

fromkhun, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  12. Marian

Marian Member

Best Answers:
    I'd probably go for AdWords camaign, look for great keywords (you probably know where to find there - I love this site :p ) and start it ASAP. It may bring you quite a good money when 'corectly' done :) You needn't spend and lose all your money at once, just use the right keywords. Sure, it'll took a little investigation. ;)

Marian, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  13. NMS

NMS Peon

Best Answers:
    I would focus on finding related sites that you can exchange links with and optimizing your pages for keywords. Use the $100 to bid on keywords. Submit your site to all the free directories you can find.

- NMS

NMS, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  14. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    I think I agree with others about what to do. What not to do: don't hire SEO guys for $100, most of them will not help. I remember back in time on various freelancers auction sites, there were guys offering complete SEO for a site for $50 with top ten in google guarantee. :eek: . Many of these auctions repeated over and the owner said the previous ones didn't help, yet he still was going for the cheapest ones. What most of these guys did, if ever, they changed few html tags, and maybe pointed some backlinks temporarily.

But to my knowledge, there are exceptions to this rule as well, of course! Just often too hard to find them.

Invest time in your own education, you can learn what most of these $100 guys do on your own in few days. After that, it is mostly hard work. Submit, exchange links, make deals with webmasters of similar sites, work on content.

subseo, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  15. iball73

iball73 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would definately go for a PPC whilst optimising the site and getting more free ibls

iball73, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  16. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    AdWords for sure.

Then put your increased profit back into AdWords and repeat this exercise.

T0PS3O, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  17. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Since seo is free for me and I'm tired of doing it, I would find the best overlooked small keywords for pay per click in overture , the keywords that are most likely to generate me business e.g. "Web Development Solutions in San Diego" - I'll get a whole bunch and probably have good results ... $100 can take you far!

Blogmaster, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  18. da22in

da22in Peon

Best Answers:
    I've have good success with press releases. If written well and keyword-rich, it can bring heavy traffic and nice exposure. I prefer PRWeb, but there are several decent ones. Most offer a free pr service, but put funding behind it and it gets increased distribution to major media outlets and picked up by hundreds (if not thousands) of newspapers, magazines, e-zines, writers/journalists, etc.

PPC is a good thought, but how far will $100 go for anything the least bit competitive? I'd rather buy up a few domains, get hosting, and build highly relevant web sites to compliment the main site or subject.

da22in, Feb 11, 2005 IP