1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What would you do in this situation?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Discreet, Dec 15, 2005.

1. stuw

stuw Peon

Best Answers:
    Draw (bang bang) your own conclusions

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=6166

stuw, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  2. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    The Netherlands had exactly 52 gun related murders in the year 2004 and we have approx: 16+ million people in the Netherlands.

Edz, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  3. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    No,

this means that your mind is made up no matter what, and that whatever evidence comes your way is most likely going to be ignored completely, since you don't seem to need any.

Blogmaster, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  4. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    That probably has more to do with your drug laws than your gun laws. ;)

Will.Spencer, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Excellent point. Whereever drugs are easier to get, the less there seems to be a need to commit crimes to get them. Same thing if you compare California and oregon, which has pretty much the loosest drug laws in the US. Sure, people don't kill for drugs, but society is suffering in different ways.

6. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    EDZ, how could you think economics was a reason I had???? I never, not once stated an economic short fall to any company or the government, I also directly stated several times it WAS NOT MY REASON, yet you still continued to try to play that card as if it was my reason....Very, very, very confused here.........................
    To me it's a simple case of you trying to win a losing argument by making stuff up as I never, not once used a financial loss as an argument.

You however by trying to bring it into the equation showed you would rather have the criminals make the $$$$, this is where you realy lost...Not only by lying in the first place, but in the end showing you don't mind funding criminal enterprise.

A few people being killed, of which many would have reguardless of gun laws over the prospect of a rogue government and no way to fight them off...Which would I choose? It's not even a question, even if our murder rate went up 2 fold it's a small sacrafice to make in order to retain our freedoms of owning a gun. A Rogue government could easily kill 10x the amount of citizens of this great land than all gun violence in our history combined.

You may wish to put all your faith in your government, that however is NOT what this country was founded on. I myself will sleep better at night knowing people like Will are exercising his right to bare arms...

GRIM, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  7. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Let's make every drug legal, so people can fry their brains and die from that instead of guns. That's better :)

8. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    It's difficult to make a decision when you know what has happened, but when you are there in the thick of the action, you just go with your instincts.

A year back I was sat in a bar waiting for a mate to turn up, there was a table of girls sat on a table in front of me (I always get the position with the best view ;)) two guys walked in and stood in front of me and one of them started to talk to me, out of the corner of my eye I could see the other guy on the floor taking things out of the girls bags, and stuffing it all in his coat - I had two choices, pretend I didnt' see anything, or say something to the girls and get the attention of security...

DarrenC, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  9. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What's a "gun related" death? Are accidents counted in that figure? Are ILLEGAL weapons counted in that figure? Are minor and felon possessions of guns counted in that figure?

You also have to realise that if guns were illegal how many of those deaths would have happened anyway using illegal guns, and how many of those would have just used something else like a bomb or knife?

Taking away the gun doesn't stop the person from killing. Giving the ability to have a gun doesn't make anyone kill. There are many, many more factors involved.

yo-yo, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  10. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    I shared my views and explained what i think of it and in my oppinion i am right and in your oppinions who are pro gun laws that are your oppinions.

Thinking i am right doesn't make me an closed minded person as a whole in this discussion no matter what is being said towards this attitude of mine.
    It's not that something new can be put forward to give this discussion more insight for me to review my oppinion, everything has been said that i already heard before.

And the same goes for hrbl, will, Yo-yo and Mike...you have heard it all before and you think you are right as well.
    This doesn't make you close minded you just have a strong formed oppinion.

This is one of these cases you can't bring anything new to the table everything is being said regarding for or against basicly.
    You base your decision on this and are pro or against and nothing will ever change this.

Being close minded counts when the are windows of oppurtunity regarding new knowledge that can be put on the table and still not accepting it as a need to review an oppinion...this is not one of these cases.
    If there is something new that can be put on the table then i will always listen because that's how i am.

If i was close minded i wouldn't even waste my time in this thread.

I appreciate your views on this matter;)

Edz, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  11. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    This is one of the best "handbags at dawn" threads I've read in a long time.

Cheers guys.

blackbug, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  12. stuw

stuw Peon

Best Answers:
    A death in which a gun was involved - this usually includes accidents, police shootings, crime / murder, and state authrised shootings (fireing squads)

stuw, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  13. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    And suicides.

Will.Spencer, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  14. stuw

stuw Peon

Best Answers:
    yes and suicides - thanks missed that one.

stuw, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  15. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    stuw do they count the people that the US shot on their own countries during battles as "gun related deaths"? I bet they don't. Those numbers are all skewed.

Hodgedup, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  16. stuw

stuw Peon

Best Answers:
    I assume that they get the figures from the counties in question public coroners (or the data that they use for recording deaths at the time of cenus taking - which would be a matter of public record for most countries). I merly googled for the figures and posted the first set of data that I found for illustrative purposes.

Feel free to look for what you may perceive to be more accurate figures.

However it does seem ot point out in broad terms that countries with greater access to guns have higher mortality rates associated with guns.

I'm not sure what your response means
    Are you asking if that includes gun related deaths caused by the US military in the US? I don't know. Do many USA citizens die in battles with their own military?

stuw, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  17. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm asking do they count the people that the US military kills in battle in other countries in those stats. Like if the US military killed a bunch of people in the Netherlands would that count against the Netherlands for "gun related deaths"?

Hodgedup, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  18. stuw

stuw Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL I have no idea, but seeing as Northern Ireland is quite close to the top of the list I would say that it probably does. It still wouldn't effect the numbers that much though?

Just in case you missed it, here is the source of the information. Like I say, I just Googled it up to help the discusion along.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...rticlekey=6166

stuw, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  19. angelfire

angelfire Peon

Best Answers:
    I will try to call the police.

angelfire, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  20. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    My neighbor called me a couple of months ago because her house alarm went off. The alarm company called her, so she called me.

I checked out her house and found no evidence of a burglary.

THIRTY FIVE MINUTES LATER, the police showed up.

There is no point in the town that I live in that is thirty-five minutes away from here.

Police do not exist to prevent crime. Police exist to record the crime and, if possible, arrest the suspects.

Preventing crime is a citizens responsibility.

Will.Spencer, Dec 19, 2005 IP